Thelonious Monk Quartet - The Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection

ADGold

Feb 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Admittedly, I'm fairly new to jazz. However, I've been buying, listenting and digesting Monk albums at a torrid pace. In fact, I don't ever recall being this fascinated with a singular artist. Contrary to popular opinion, I believe his years with Columbia consist of his finest output. Specifically, tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse seems to be the perfect compainion for Monk. Altough Coltrane is far more accomplished and dexterous, I don't find myself enjoying the combination of the two legends playing together on Monk's standards (either on the Riverside recordings or the Carengie Hall Concert). Furthermore, I find the acclaimed GOMM Vol 1 and 2 albums contain tracks that are far too short to demonstrate his unique skills. This collection, at around $35, is a treasure and a great value. Incredible packaging (although a little light on the liner notes) and more importantly, great sound. Let's this thread also be an opportunity to discuss other great Monk albums.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ithe-thelonious-monk-quartet-complete-columbia-studio-albums-collectioni

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Admittedly, I'm fairly new to jazz. However, I've been buying, listenting and digesting Monk albums at a torrid pace. In fact, I don't ever recall being this fascinated with a singular artist. Contrary to popular opinion, I believe his years with Columbia consist of his finest output. Specifically, tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse seems to be the perfect compainion for Monk. Altough Coltrane is far more accomplished and dexterous, I don't find myself enjoying the combination of the two legends playing together on Monk's standards (either on the Riverside recordings or the Carengie Hall Concert). Furthermore, I find the acclaimed GOMM Vol 1 and 2 albums contain tracks that are far too short to demonstrate his unique skills. This collection, at around $35, is a treasure and a great value. Incredible packaging (although a little light on the liner notes) and more importantly, great sound. Let's this thread also be an opportunity to discuss other great Monk albums.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ithe-thelonious-monk-quartet-complete-columbia-studio-albums-collectioni

Big fan of Monk! bought the same Columbia collection and the Prestige one as well. My fav also include the 2 Genius of Modern Music albums...I got those in college...and then picked up the remastered versions a yr ago. As to the one of Coltrane and Monk at Carnegie Hall...not my favourite either, but interesting as it was a lost recording that was rediscovered some yrs back and released. Will try to think of others.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

A big Monk fan too. Charlie Rouse is not to Coltrane level (not many are) his play does compliment Monk.

Check out Underground, one of my favorite Monk albums.

Also Monk Dream. His rendition of Body Soul is for the least unusual, it's Monk after all :) Not one wasted note. The "angular" sound of Monk doesn't deter from the essence of this standard. More dramatic than usual yet remain beautiful...

Now for something completely different: a surprise and IMHO a Home Run is Wynton Marsalis rendition of Green Chimney's on Marsalis "Live at the House of Tribes" album

51JKMG8JGFL._SS500_.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing