My review of the Genesis G7.1f loudspeaker

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Ok! First things first! I'm going to install the spikes today and leave it at that for now. Then it's off to do some rethinking about the changes I would need to make regarding furniture, etc, and placement of everything. Will take some measurements of everything (system, speakers, couch, chair, tables, blah, blah, blah) and try to come up with a proper system placement and furniture arrangement. I'll keep you posted!:)

Congratulations John, I have heard the speaker and sounds great! my only concern now is that it all looks you are still breaking them in, I would let them play there and record any changes prior deciding a move (the spikes are a must I would say) and try listening closer or near-field as well, you might be surprised!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I do have a question, if you don't mind, and it concerns the room. I think the speakers would really shine even more in a larger space (mine is only 10x11), and I've been giving that some thought. My LR is about twice the size (20x11) plus a small dining alcove, making it an L-shape. It would require some re-arrangements, but I'm almost tempted to try them out there. Any thoughts on this?

John, take a look at this video:

They discuss speaker setup quite a bit. Of course, this isn't like having Gary here along with his design expertise, but the discussion does explore some specific situations that may give you an idea as to the options at play.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gary - I added the spikes to the outriggers. Turned them all the way in and then leveled them. You were right about the bass. Before I attached them I listened twice to Traffic- 40,000 Headmen and tried to get a feel for the sound. The difference was noticeable to say the least. Bass was quicker (tighter), cleaner (more succinct?), but I also noticed more air (space?) around Steve's voice and the other instruments. Kwaku's work on the congas and bongos were more defined and detailed.

Fernando - The system isn't going anywhere for the time being, as it would be a considerable effort to change it all on my own and the fact I need to be careful with my back. Once I decide I'll get some help though. I'm almost listening in the nearfield at the moment. The speakers are just under 6ft apart (centre-to-centre) and my head position is approximately 7ft to each speaker.

Felix - I've seen that video, but glad you linked me as it wouldn't hurt to have another listen. I've heard good things about Jim's book, so I might order that.

I think I've now accomplished an optimal sound for the room given its size, but if I decide to keep it there some better room treatments will be next. I won't make a decision until I know 100% what direction to take. In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy it. I figure I've earned it after a month of playing around with the setup. LOL!

Thanks for all of your helpful hints and suggestions!:D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
John, take a look at this video:

They discuss speaker setup quite a bit. Of course, this isn't like having Gary here along with his design expertise, but the discussion does explore some specific situations that may give you an idea as to the options at play.

Charles Hansen reminds me of Quentin Tarantino in that video

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
The new North American distributor is Rutherford Audio - the guys we shared the room with at TAVES. We worked together at a couple of shows with Burmester/Genesis and there was a lot of synergy. So, decided to formalize the arrangements. They also distribute Elac, Vertere, Primare, Thorens, and Yacht Audio.

That's great to hear! I know Robb also. :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary - I added the spikes to the outriggers. Turned them all the way in and then leveled them. You were right about the bass. Before I attached them I listened twice to Traffic- 40,000 Headmen and tried to get a feel for the sound. The difference was noticeable to say the least. Bass was quicker (tighter), cleaner (more succinct?), but I also noticed more air (space?) around Steve's voice and the other instruments. Kwaku's work on the congas and bongos were more defined and detailed.

Glad you did it. Yes, that track on Welcome to the Canteen is a good one for listening to differences in your speakers. Now that you have the spikes in all the way, back them off until there is very little of the spike coming off the bottom. You want the spikes to grip motherearth to anchor the suspension frame.

Listen to Kwaku's work on the congas and also the space around Steve's voice and all the instruments. As the speakers come on down (turn the spikes 90 deg to 180 deg at a time), you will find that the contrast in the space between the various instruments deepens and Kwaku's fingers take on flesh and skin. There will be one point where it "snaps" and the various performers have their own space. Take it too far, and Kwaku's fingers become soft and soggy. There will be one point where you will prefer and where your ears think that there is flesh and skin hitting the skin of the bongo. It may be expectation, but that is where you will like the speakers the most.

Don't listen to anybody who tells you that this album is badly recorded. It is wonderfully recorded, it's just that the sound was bad in the untreated room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing