My review of the Genesis G7.1f loudspeaker

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I recently acquired a pair of these speakers and have been getting acquainted with them a bit at a time. This was a very substantial upgrade for me and also a change in direction, as I went from the beautiful sound of a pair of Totem Sttafs with soft-dome tweeters to a speaker that is truly full-range and very much respected for it's tweeter design, which consist of 1" circular Ribbons...one front-firing and one rear-firing. The rear tweeter can be turned on or off with a simple switch. They also include 180w servo-controlled amps of Class D design per speaker. Additionally there are controls on the back of the speaker for adjusting bass and treble gain. The finish on them is done to perfection and I love the high-gloss automotive paint in grey for the cabinet and black front panel. I was glad to discover that the spikes for the outriggers did not require having to lift or move them, as they screw in from the top. Nice touch! (I hope I got the technical details right here).

I've lived with them now for just over one month and I must say I am most pleased, although I do think my room is a touch too small for them to truly shine. What I love most about the Genesis G7.1f's is the balance they provide across the frequency spectrum. Even while a musical segment focuses in on a particular instrument or voice, the other instruments/voices are still very clearly identifiable and don't take a back seat. I have no idea why, but percussion instruments are really really well defined and (I think) accurate. I love the decay I hear of a brush stroking across the skin of a snare or a cymbol strike lingering in the background. The detail I hear from them is just wonderful.

The ability to adjust bass/tweeter settings with the rear controls is a great feature and allows me to tailor the speaker's sound to various recordings. I like that, although I have found that a +3 Bass setting and -2.25 Tweeter setting seems to work very well for the room and my ears.

When Gary and I met at TAVES last September, and I had the opportunity to listen to his G7.1p's and G5.3's I said that I was most struck with the "balance" his speakers showed. I think this is one of their finest attributes, and I'm pleased to be a Genesis owner. Try them yourself if you haven't!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Congrats, John. I've heard the Sttafs. Great speakers. Moving up to the Genesis sounds like quite the upgrade.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats, John. I've heard the Sttafs. Great speakers. Moving up to the Genesis sounds like quite the upgrade.

The Sttafs are a great speaker indeed, especially through the mid-range where they excel with voices and acoustics. For $2,000 list one could do worse. The G7.1f's are in a different league however. The detail they express can't be matched by the Sttafs.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To bad Gary don't have more dealer in Canada!
You should post some pic's of your new installation.

Here's some I took right after they were delivered.. I just got a new camera, so I'll try and get some better ones done in the next few days. May as well, since I'm home today due to a snowstorm.

IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1467.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John and thanks for the update. If you don't mind me asking....do they excel particularly well with a certain or certain types of genres? Also, are you currently utilizing the rear tweeter with this setup? Thanks.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello, John and thanks for the update. If you don't mind me asking....do they excel particularly well with a certain or certain types of genres? Also, are you currently utilizing the rear tweeter with this setup? Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom - I've not actually determined what style/genre of music they excel at as I haven't played them enough. I'm one of those people who takes a long time before making those kinds of observations in definite terms. I also haven't truly tested them with some hard-core electric blues or rock. So it may take me a while before I can give a good personal opinion on it.

I've played around a bit with the rear tweeter in both the ON and OFF position, but haven't really been able to tell a difference in the immediate. As such I've decided to leave them in the ON position, as recommended for my room size and placement, and get familiar with it. I'll experiment with them in the OFF position after that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff! Big congrats...interested in your placement as well...have u been experimenting at all? Also intrigued to learn more about the bass and treble adjustments you can make. Enjoy! System looks great.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congratulations from a ribbon tweeter addict John! :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
To bad Gary don't have more dealer in Canada!
You should post some pic's of your new installation.

We are working on it..... I've even appointed a Canadian as a North American distributor, so he should be doing more in 2013.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Audio Ark is listed as one of your dealers, my office is very close to this store. I think I'd seen some of your speakers there, but never heard them. Maybe I should request Robert or Simon or Andrew for an audition one of these days :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great stuff! Big congrats...interested in your placement as well...have u been experimenting at all? Also intrigued to learn more about the bass and treble adjustments you can make. Enjoy! System looks great.

Congrats John. Enjoy them in good health. They look like great speakers.

Congratulations from a ribbon tweeter addict John! :D

Thanks guys for all the congrats! I'm enjoying them more and more every day!

Lloyd - I started off with them much closer to the front wall and gradually progressed forward with a slightly narrower spread and a very small toe-in. I'm pretty sure this is where they will stay, so the next step is to attach the spikes. I'm hoping that won't alter the sound, but we'll see. Regarding the bass and treble controls I have them set (see post #1) where I think I like them best with the music I've played so far and the space I am working with. I could adjust them for every recording, but I'm not sure I want to go to those extremes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congratulations, John. I a *VERY* pleased to have a Genesis owner on this forum!! I was feeling lonely here for a while ;)

I'm here to answer any placement/tuning/tweaking questions you may have. Please don't hesitate.

I'm glad to join the club, so to speak my friend!:D

I do have a question, if you don't mind, and it concerns the room. I think the speakers would really shine even more in a larger space (mine is only 10x11), and I've been giving that some thought. My LR is about twice the size (20x11) plus a small dining alcove, making it an L-shape. It would require some re-arrangements, but I'm almost tempted to try them out there. Any thoughts on this?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Putting the spikes in will alter the sound - you'll have better bass as the principle of the coupling/decoupling of the suspension requires the suspension frame to be firm in the horizontal plane.

Moving the speakers to the larger space will definitely improve the sound. The bass will have space to grow. In 10x11, there will be a lot of cancellation below about 55Hz.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Would that be Bruno?

The new North American distributor is Rutherford Audio - the guys we shared the room with at TAVES. We worked together at a couple of shows with Burmester/Genesis and there was a lot of synergy. So, decided to formalize the arrangements. They also distribute Elac, Vertere, Primare, Thorens, and Yacht Audio.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm glad to join the club, so to speak my friend!:D

I do have a question, if you don't mind, and it concerns the room. I think the speakers would really shine even more in a larger space (mine is only 10x11), and I've been giving that some thought. My LR is about twice the size (20x11) plus a small dining alcove, making it an L-shape. It would require some re-arrangements, but I'm almost tempted to try them out there. Any thoughts on this?

That sounds like it could be a great oppotunity...20 x 11...good size and with the dining room you'll get some extra volume. Room dimensions, (incl ceiling height) all matter of course, but i would say definitely worth a go! With Gary's speakers, i think they'll definitely be able to fill the room and you'll get to enjoy what they can do even more...and in the comfort of your living room no less. the best of both worlds (at least for an audiophile)!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The new North American distributor is Rutherford Audio - the guys we shared the room with at TAVES. We worked together at a couple of shows with Burmester/Genesis and there was a lot of synergy. So, decided to formalize the arrangements. They also distribute Elac, Vertere, Primare, Thorens, and Yacht Audio.

That sounds like it could be a great oppotunity...20 x 11...good size and with the dining room you'll get some extra volume. Room dimensions, (incl ceiling height) all matter of course, but i would say definitely worth a go! With Gary's speakers, i think they'll definitely be able to fill the room and you'll get to enjoy what they can do even more...and in the comfort of your living room no less. the best of both worlds (at least for an audiophile)!

Ok! First things first! I'm going to install the spikes today and leave it at that for now. Then it's off to do some rethinking about the changes I would need to make regarding furniture, etc, and placement of everything. Will take some measurements of everything (system, speakers, couch, chair, tables, blah, blah, blah) and try to come up with a proper system placement and furniture arrangement. I'll keep you posted!:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing