The 33RPM vs 45RPM choice?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Based on the only 45RPM title I own (Fleetwood Mac-Rumours), I can't say that it's worth the extra dollars to invest. Now, it could very well be that some other 45RPM releases are true stunners, but personally I'm hesitant to jump into that market. I guess I just expected more.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Based on the only 45RPM title I own (Fleetwood Mac-Rumours), I can't say that it's worth the extra dollars to invest. Now, it could very well be that some other 45RPM releases are true stunners, but personally I'm hesitant to jump into that market. I guess I just expected more.

this is a relatively poor example of 33 verses 45. it's ok and better than average pressing of the 33. nothing wrong but just a bit lacking sparkle and life. but there are so many marginal pressings of Rumours that the 45 is still not bad. i have 2 copies of the 45. and there are even 2 different pressings of the 45.

and my original pressing 33rpm is much much better than the 45. it did take me a few years to find my 33 though and 10 different pressings of Rumours.

i also have a 15ips, 1/4" master dub of this recording.

do a search; there are dozens of threads on various forums regarding this 45rpm pressing if you want to read about it.

i own almost 100% of all 45rpm reissues....almost 1500 of them. they are easily the best sounding ways to hear this music. and compared to original pressings, they are mostly at least as good sounding and better in many cases, cheaper, and much much easier to find.

they are the most prized part of my music collection.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
99% of the time the 45 rpm's sound better, imo. It is worth the added effort required for quicker flips vs the 33's, ect. I consider the Rumour's 45 by Hoffman to be an exception. I have one of the 1st issues of Rumours (textured cover) and in that instance the 33 from that era is better. Generally, when we are talking re-issues like Classic Records Blue-Notes or RCA Living Stereo's, the 45's win by a significant margin.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
this is a relatively poor example of 33 verses 45.

i have the 45, and my original pressing 33rpm is much much better. it did take me a few years to find my 33 though and 10 different pressings of Rumous.

i also have a 15ips, 1/4" master dub of this recording.

do a search; there are dozens of threads on various forums regarding this 45rpm pressing.

i own almost 100% of all 45rpm reissues....almost 1500 of them. they are easily the best sounding ways to hear this music. and compared to original pressings, they are mostly at least as good sounding and better in many cases, cheaper, and much much easier to find.

they are the most prized piece of my music collection.

Thanks for the input Mike, because that's exactly what I thought when listening to my original 33RPM. And because of it I started the thread as a 45RPM pressing should theoretically offer a superior experience. There are some 45RPM's I would like to get, most notably for me the new Phoebe Snow S/T 2LP set, but $50 is not chump change for me and my original U.S. pressing is in VG++ shape at least.

If, in fact, the FM-Rumours 45 is a poor example, then I will have to take a chance on some others. How's the DB-Time Out?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the input Mike, because that's exactly what I thought when listening to my original 33RPM. And because of it I started the thread as a 45RPM pressing should theoretically offer a superior experience. There are some 45RPM's I would like to get, most notably for me the new Phoebe Snow S/T 2LP set, but $50 is not chump change for me and my original U.S. pressing is in VG++ shape at least.

If, in fact, the FM-Rumours 45 is a poor example, then I will have to take a chance on some others. How's the DB-Time Out?

i have the mid-90's 4 disc 45rpm Classic Records reissue of 'Time Out' which is superb (and a sealed back up copy i think too). i also have an OP stereo and mono, and i prefer the 45. i've not listened to the new AP 45 Time Out myself but would expect it to be great and have read that people like it.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
45 rpm for me. The resolution increase is quite apparent on my system. Though since we are mentioning exceptions the DCC vinyl for The Doors sounds better than the recent 45 rpm's to me.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
45 rpm for me. The resolution increase is quite apparent on my system. Though since we are mentioning exceptions the DCC vinyl for The Doors sounds better than the recent 45 rpm's to me.

i have most of the DCC pressings and agree they are very good. i've not compared the Doors DCC's to the recent 45's yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing