DSD comparison to PCM.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Please tell me what I am "so wrong" about.

You're right about a couple of things - for example currently produced NOS DACs do tend to measure bad by the usual set of measurements. That's telling me the usual set of measurements need updating to include some which more closely reflect what we hear in DACs. But its also telling me the manufacturers of NOS DACs aren't much concerned with pitching their DACs to the more objectivist inclined buyers. You're right about there being a lot of people listening filtered through what they believe (and perceive) about the various formats, rather than just with their ears.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Not sure who you are talking about. I listen to RBCD, high rez PCM, and SACD. Its all good. I don't listen to formats,
I listen to music. There is no fracturing. The only ones discussing this crap are people who spend too much time on forums
and not listening to music. I probably listened to 30 albums while this thread has been droning on.

The vinyl crowd cracks me up when they wax poetic about Lps mastered from digital.

Amen.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- In general, I prefer music recorded in DSD (SACD) over PCM (CD). :b
...From what my ears told me.

* Streaming and Downloading hi-rez audio (DSD and/or PCM); you guys know more than I do.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Welcome back Bob!! :cool:

Merci Bruce. :b

I'm confused (welcome back btw) because before your absence you mentioned you'd ordered an AMR. That's a native PCM box - why would you do that if you prefer SACD - why not spend your dollars on kit to improve your DSD experience?

Hi Richard, the deal didn't go through. ...And probably a god thing too. :b

P.S. Did I make a typo somewhere there? ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For example?

Some not so favorable reviews, and comments from other members in that quite elaborate thread, plus in other audio forums of the Internet, and all that other audio music jazz stuff. ...Analog, Digital, and All. ...The music recordings; tough to tell what's their true origins, and what it is that is in your music collection really.

It's a balance of all those readings Richard.

Let's say that for now SACD (DSD) is my number one music source (for quality sound to my own ears), then followed by CD (PCM; because I have much more CDs than LPs).
{I should also add hi-rez audio from Blu-ray music concerts, and DVDs with PCM stereo sound, including DVD-Audio with hi-rez audio.}

- This is a "Digital" thread here, so I won't go into analog vinyls and analog R2R tapes.

Last edited:

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I'm just curious here if there's stuff showing that what I wrote on here is mistaken and that I'm missing something important which 'turns the tables' so to speak, I'd like to know what that vital missing piece is. Seems from what you say and the way that you're waving vaguely in various directions that there isn't though :)

<edit> Just came across this interesting excerpt of a chapter from a newish technical book which goes into some depth on the theory of 1bit sigma-delta modulation. The bit particularly relevant to the drum I'm beating here (noise modulation) begins on p23.

If you begin to study it (and its far from being highly mathematical, the author is using graphical means by and large to illustrate his points) you may well be struck, as I was by the significant difference between the mathematical prediction for how noise-shaping loops behave, and the results of real implementations (simulations).

Attachments

• basics-SD-9789400713864-c2.pdf
    609.3 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- No Richard; it has nothing to do with you in particular. I just told you; it's an overall balance of everything.

I don't see you missing anything, I don't even think that you are reporting to yourself anything unimportant.

"Vague", you find me vague? In what sense? How exactly? ...In regard to your beliefs?
You are not paranoid are you? ;)

P.S. Richard, just in case, always recheck my above posts; I have a strong habit of editing (perfecting) them.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Bob if you read what I wrote a bit more carefully, you may well discover that I didn't call you (personally) 'vague' - rather the references you made were vague ones. I asked for an example, you provided things which gestured in the general direction of things without referring to anything at all specific (like a link to an article or review for example).

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
If you have a beef with HDtracks, stand in line.

Hey Bruce, I have no beef with HDTracks, or indeed with you... anyone in the pursuit of better sound in good in my eyes. I just thought that that particular RMAF session was eye-opening. FWIW, if I were Chad, I would stick with offering remasters on vinyl and wouldn't touch DSD downloads with a barge pole. 24/192 remasters captured with a true non-oversampling mutli-bit ADC would be great, but I know that's just not going to happen - only Reference Recordings are doing this, and the music isn't always my cup of tea.

Ultimately, I agree with what so many here are saying. Go with the format that sounds good to you. I tried DSD... and I mean really tried. OK, I didn't go as far as Grimm or EMM gear, but Korg, Tascam and Mytek are supposed to be pretty good. It's not for me. Not my SACD rips, nor my own DSD vinyl recordings nor indeed DSD downloads. DSD just doesn't do it for me. (And I'm really sorry about not getting on with the Blue Coast DSD downloads - whenever I've seen Cookie on Youtube etc, she comes across as just the sweetest person.)

Mani.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Keith Johnson lectured a few years ago at RMAF. He covers alot of material, only 30% of which I can comprehend. If you start the video I linked to at 30 minute mark he starts in about jitter and how sdm dacs and ladder dacs are affected by jitter differently. He also shows some nuclear scope shots of jitter. :)

Yep, phenomenal talk. He's a bit slow at getting going, but then just comes out with one deep insight after the other. But to him it all seems so obvious - he even suggests that he's kept things at a basic level.

The bit about vinyl having 120dB dynamics is a bit hard to swallow, but he's no idiot (let's face it, he's probably smarter than all of us on these boards put together) and I think he means 'in a non-real, ideal case'. He's obviously started his calculation with the size of the information on the grooves and has taken things from there. It kind of reminds me of my Physics 101 where you consider the interaction of only two atoms. Well, this simplicity never happens in reality but we still use it to try to understand things.

Mani.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing