DSD comparison to PCM.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As far as I can see, none of the D/As Bruce mentioned there is multi-bit, they're all S-D, heavily oversampled, noise-shaped.

What?? I used these as A/D converters..... I never mentioned DAC's

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Does anyone have a hypothesis, any hypothesis at all however far-out, for why PCM's dynamics might be exaggerated?

And if you do, can you then explain why my PCM recordings don't have exaggerated dynamics compared to the original analog? The PCM recordings really do capture the essence of my vinyl beautifully, which is all I'm after.

Mani.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
And some would say that your other DACs are at fault, 'distorting' the sound in some way. OK, but when you have the original analog to hand (which I do), this argument loses all merit.

IME, a 24/192 PCM recording made on a true multi-bit non-oversampling ADC (not many of those around that are 24/192-capable), played back on a true multi-bit non-oversampling DAC (not many of those around that are 24/192-capable either!) sounds close enough to the analog for me not to care about any difference that may exist.

Mani.

Actually, the way I once perceived the sonic differences between 16/44 and vinyl has change considerably since I started recording LP to CDR.

tb1

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
And if you do, can you then explain why my PCM recordings don't have exaggerated dynamics compared to the original analog? The PCM recordings really do capture the essence of my vinyl beautifully, which is all I'm after.

Mani.

Me too, although if anything, my 16/44 copies lose some dynamic contrast and certainly offer less dimensional capability, although I fully expect those issues to be minimized even further using 96/24 based recordings (or a better 16/44 recorder).

Audiophiles have, for far too long, judged PCM based on "CD quality" which has dismissed its true potential.

tb1

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Audiophiles have, for far too long, judged PCM based on "CD quality" which has dismissed its true potential.

tb1

Not true in my case. I own hi-rez files at 24/192 so I'm comparing the sound of those files against DSD and not comparing RB CD to DSD.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What?? I used these as A/D converters..... I never mentioned DAC's
I'm still not sure whether you are saying DSD is superior for capture AND playback. I would be willing to bet your MSB DAC does PCM better than your MPS5. Of course they are different price points, but then why does the MPS5 do DSD better than MSB? I would say its partly due to the multi bit design of the MSB lends itself more so to PCM than does the MPS5. Theres no best format for all DACs.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Theres no best format for all DACs.

It's amazing how many digital based audiophiles I know kept chasing their audiophile tails trying to find that "perfect" DAC, which is the very reason I've long preferred top one-box players.

tb1

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm still not sure whether you are saying DSD is superior for capture AND playback. I would be willing to bet your MSB DAC does PCM better than your MPS5. Of course they are different price points, but then why does the MPS5 do DSD better than MSB? I would say its partly due to the multi bit design of the MSB lends itself more so to PCM than does the MPS5. Theres no best format for all DACs.

I believe what I said was that DSD was better on the MPS-5 and PCM was toss up between the MSB and PD.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
And some would say that your other DACs are at fault, 'distorting' the sound in some way. OK, but when you have the original analog to hand (which I do), this argument loses all merit.

To be fair to John, his DACs are single chip 'economy' solutions (ES9023 and PCM5102) so yes, his other DACs are 'at fault' in this sense. As S-D DACs go though, they're jolly good bang-for-the-buck. AFAIK he's well aware of their deficiencies when up against top-end vinyl.

IME, a 24/192 PCM recording made on a true multi-bit non-oversampling ADC (not many of those around that are 24/192-capable), played back on a true multi-bit non-oversampling DAC (not many of those around that are 24/192-capable either!) sounds close enough to the analog for me not to care about any difference that may exist.

What's interesting is that there are, as you say, so few options available for those who want true multi-bit, rather than noise-shaped solutions. Your Phasure is using PCM1704 which wouldn't be as dynamic as TDA1541A, yet this latter one is limited to 16bits. So nobody has a solution with what I term 'segmented current source dynamics' at higher resolutions.

Incidentally, have you heard the Audial TDA1541A DAC up against your Phasure? Or the AMR CD-77?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Opus111 was referring to premeditation in the context of "describing in language" of an observation, not "acting in response" to that observation. While you can argue the latter usually involves premeditation (i.e. a conscious thought process) the former in many cases does not.
Not so. One must elect to describe something in language and that requires cognition. Premeditation is a poor term since it larded with other implications.

However, I think your example of the fear driven response to a snake is way to restrictive as an example of non-premeditated response.
How can an example be too restrictive? Being an example implies that there are other expressions.

There are many examples of unlearned responses that do not involve premditation, for example the reflex to catch a falling object.
That is definitely learned behavior.

Secondly, there are learned non-premidated responses. I play squash and hit the ball without premeditation some of the time (mostly the defensive shots). The same is true for a a baseball player catching a ball coming at him at 90mph.
Agreed but it does require perceptual and cognitive processes although they are subconscious. Surely, you don't swing the same way for all balls.

The neurological process of each of these examples is probably different, but they have in common a lack of conscious thought process preceding the response (i.e premeditation).
But not all cognitive processing is conscious. That is why this is so thorny.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yes, I agree & I'm bearing this in mind when evaluating - that's why it's all preliminary impressions ATM. It's also why I'm bringing it to the friends house who has invited some other ears along. He also has an air-bearing TT & other TTs - the details of which escape me at the moment but I have always compared my offerings to this reference & found my offerings wanting :)

Mani.
Yes, Opus says more or less the same thing without the high-res bit.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yep - the aim with sport is to enter the state called 'flow' where things arise and we attend to them without any conscious thought.
Right but that does not mean there is no thought (cognitive) process required.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I believe what I said was that DSD was better on the MPS-5 and PCM was toss up between the MSB and PD.

Read post #20. Does that refresh the witness' memory? Something about MSB for PCM and PBD for DSD? I usually get paid for this level of harassment. :)

Last edited:

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
To be fair to John, his DACs are single chip 'economy' solutions (ES9023 and PCM5102) so yes, his other DACs are 'at fault' in this sense. As S-D DACs go though, they're jolly good bang-for-the-buck. AFAIK he's well aware of their deficiencies when up against top-end vinyl.
Yes, indeed you are correct :) I hope to also compare a NOS offering at the weekend if I can - a Metrum - still only 16/44 however & I know it has some shortcomings but it will give another datapoint.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Right but that does not mean there is no thought (cognitive) process required.

Perhaps there's misunderstanding over terms - as edorr has mentioned what I meant by 'thought' wasn't 'cognitive process' rather 'conscious thinking in language' or 'the voice in our head'. Does that help any? I didn't mean to say by 'unpremeditated' that we're unaware of cognition going on. I'll accept your clarification if you have a better way of describing 'unpremeditated'.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing