Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677

Thread: DSD comparison to PCM.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 (ISO, DFF, DSF, WAV, FLAC, AIFF,...) developer http://samplerateconverter.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Do not agree. I am with Anthony Cordesman on this issue. Read his article on the Burmester MC151 in The Absolute Sound.
    FWW, my opinion is based on mic feeds that have been split to PCM and DSD converters and we compared the resulting recording to a live event of acoustic instruments. We have done this several times with chamber music and acoustic guitar. We also have tried over several top DACs.
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Tape Revox A77 Mark III
    Digital PS Audio Memory Player and DirectStream DAC
    Analog VPI Scoutmaster, Lyra Cartridge, Audio Research Ref Phono 2
    Amplification Audio Research Ref 5SE & Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO
    Speakers Magnepan 1.7s
    Cables Synergistic Research Galileo and Atmosphere UEF Level 4, Furutech Silver Arrow II phono
    Power Conditioning Synergistic PowerCell 12 UEF SE, Shunyata Denali
    Recording AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Just looked at the recording shown today in Stereophile (Fischer's New Mahler Symphony 3) https://channelclassics.nativedsd.co...no-3-in-dminor

Considering that the technical details shown in the booklet are just "dsd Super Audio/Grimm Audio Pyramix Editing/Merging Technologies" I would suppose that it was recorded in DSD and mixed/mastered in DXD, probably all other stereo formats coming from the DXD master. However, looking at the prices, I see DSD128 is more expensive than DXD. Usually sellers have an higher price for DXD, as it is the higher quality. Any special reason for this different price scheme?
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Just looked at the recording shown today in Stereophile (Fischer's New Mahler Symphony 3) https://channelclassics.nativedsd.co...no-3-in-dminor

Considering that the technical details shown in the booklet are just "dsd Super Audio/Grimm Audio Pyramix Editing/Merging Technologies" I would suppose that it was recorded in DSD and mixed/mastered in DXD, probably all other stereo formats coming from the DXD master. However, looking at the prices, I see DSD128 is more expensive than DXD. Usually sellers have an higher price for DXD, as it is the higher quality. Any special reason for this different price scheme?
    Have a look at the nativedsd website for the technical (recording) aspects of this recording. Jared explains on this site how this original dsd 64 recording was reworked in dxd and from there to dsd 128 and dsd 256. Have not bought this recording (yet) so do not know how the original dsd 64 recording compares to the other (higher) format files.

The Challenge Classics recordings made by Bert van der Wolf are original dxd recording but are also made available in various dsd formats. His dsd 256 files are (also) more expensive than his dxd files.

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677