Page 1 of 80 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: DSD comparison to PCM.

DSD comparison to PCM.

I just purchased a Korg MR-2000S and Mytek DSD Dac a few months ago. I was discussing the merits of DSD and PCM with my friend and recording guru, Uncle Rod, today and thought I would shoot a little iphone video of the measurements we did in a 'down and dirty' little test of noise. This might have been covered already. IF so, I can delete this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_nK...ature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/8ykgyjhThv0 part II

http://youtu.be/BPFwBgKoulk part III

Rich
    Last edited by U47; 02-07-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added url

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor] GaryProtein's Avatar
    I'm the first viewer! I'm waiting for Part 2 and 3.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    So, just trying to follow what is being said on the video - what we are seeing are FFTs from a 192KHz PCM file upconverted to DSD & DXD.
    What seems to be said on the video is that the mics have some issues up around 80Khz where there is distortion & it results in some sibilance heard in the voices.
    The DXD shows this 80KHz peak modulating on the FFT.
    The DSD seems to have a high level of noise (dither noise) from 60KHz up & the 80KHz peak is masked by this noise but still seems to be producing sibilance from the playback.
    There's also mention of the eating up of headroom that occurs in DSD by reason of it's dither noise levels.

Is this about right?

So this dither noise & consequent reduction in headroom is a downside (does it curtail dynamics?) - is there any upsides to using DSD?
    Last edited by jkeny; 02-09-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: clarity & spelling
    Manufacturer digital products www.Ciunas.biz
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    is there any upsides to using DSD?
    Yes. The letters DSD sounds more official than PCM.
    Venture CR-8 Signatures with Venture Reference Signature 3 woofers/Concert Fidelity CF-080LSX/modified Magnus Audio MA-300 with MA-500 power supply//PranaWire Cosmos/Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's/Prana Wire Deva and Cosmos/Stealth Sextet V12/Sound Application Reference Linestage Conditioner/Runco 50" plasma/Modwright Elyse DAC with modded Oppo 103 transport/ SME 20.2 with Graham 2.2/ Canary Audio MC10 phono/and a 1995 S/C 700hp BMW 4.9L 540i w/ ARC Audio Reference amps and Focal es 165kxs.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    DSD simply sounds better than PCM. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    DSD simply sounds better than PCM. Next.
    Oh, really? Because you say so? I am not impressed, sorry.
    Venture CR-8 Signatures with Venture Reference Signature 3 woofers/Concert Fidelity CF-080LSX/modified Magnus Audio MA-300 with MA-500 power supply//PranaWire Cosmos/Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's/Prana Wire Deva and Cosmos/Stealth Sextet V12/Sound Application Reference Linestage Conditioner/Runco 50" plasma/Modwright Elyse DAC with modded Oppo 103 transport/ SME 20.2 with Graham 2.2/ Canary Audio MC10 phono/and a 1995 S/C 700hp BMW 4.9L 540i w/ ARC Audio Reference amps and Focal es 165kxs.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Oh, really? Because you say so? I am not impressed, sorry.

That's OK, I didn't ask you to be impressed. And if I was the only one that hears what I hear and the only one that was reporting what I'm saying, your retort would have more meaning than it now carries-at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    That's OK, I didn't ask you to be impressed. And if I was the only one that hears what I hear and the only one that was reporting what I'm saying, your retort would have more meaning than it now carries-at least to me.
    Who cares? Really.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Who cares? Really.
    Um, people who want the best possible digital sound they can get? How much time have you spent comparing DSD to PCM in your system?

John Kenny's analysis is pretty much spot on. I think dsd is ideal for
    vinyl/tape transfer and "direct to disk/ Edison" style recording. No need
    to get your panties all twisted either way on the PCM/dsd debate IMO.

Rich

Page 1 of 80 123456789101151 ... LastLast