Side Effects Trailer 2013 Steven Soderbergh Movie - Official [HD]

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I might just go see this weekend.

although I'm seeing Top Gun 3D at my AMC Imax Exp this weekend, so might have to wait a week.

Next big film to me is Oz, which looks fantastic!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I found this review on line......

Surprising ‘Side Effects’ savages Prozac Nation

By Chuck Vinch-Army News

n a world of movies that usually telegraph every punch depressingly far in advance, “Side Effects” stands out as a rare chameleon.

This sleek, crafty flick morphs several times, from biting social critique to gripping personal psychodrama to legal procedural and back again. It keeps you guessing until the final frames, which unfold with a flurry of twists.

‘SIDE EFFECTS’

Rated R for violence, sexuality, drug use, adult themes.

Over his career, director Steven Soderbergh — who says this is his final turn behind the camera for a full-length feature film — has often left me cold with his clinical, and cynical, perspective on human emotion.

But that’s exactly what’s called for with this script, a tight, tawdry tale from Scott Z. Burns (“Contagion,” “The Informant!,” “The Bourne Ultimatum”).

And it perfectly suits the lead actor, mercurial Rooney Mara, who proves her knockout turn in the American version of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” was far from a fluke.

The film opens with the camera panning along a trail of blood across a parquet floor. Then the story flashes back three months.

Emily Taylor (Mara) is a young woman from humble beginnings whose life, once a fairy tale in the making, is in ruins.

Just moments after she married her Prince Charming — hunky, up-and-coming Wall Street broker Martin Taylor (Channing Tatum) — a fleet of cop cars pulled up and arrested him for insider trading, a crime for which he draws four years in prison.

Emily miscarries their baby, they lose their house, she’s forced into a thankless, low-wage job and enters a drifting limbo, waiting for Martin to reappear.

But their reunification is far from peaches and cream. Their sex drives are way off kilter, for one thing. And Martin spikes her anxiety level with the news that he may be inclined to go back to his old financial shenanigans.

Emily slips into a depression that eventually leads her to a parking garage where she points her car straight at a wall and jams on the accelerator.

In the hospital, her attending physician is psychiatrist Dr. Jonathan Banks (the great Jude Law), who wants to prescribe an antidepressant. After some trial and error, he settles on a drug recommended by a colleague, Dr. Victoria Siebert (sultry Catherine Zeta-Jones) — who happens to be Emily’s former therapist.

The new drug, the fictional Ablixa, revives Emily’s sex drive and makes her feel more balanced while awake — but it also causes sleepwalking.

To this point, Soderbergh and Burns seem intent on dispensing a beatdown to a pharmaceutical industry portrayed as borderline thuggish in manipulating a society that finds it chic to be on something in high-speed pursuit of fast, easy wellness.

“It doesn’t make you anything you’re not,” Banks soothingly says of one drug. “It just makes it easier to be who you are.”

But what happens when the results are not the calm clarity displayed in the ubiquitous drug marketing campaigns? As one faltering patient says, “I don’t understand it. … You watch the commercials on TV and people are getting better.”

That’s not the case with Emily, whose deterioration is like a highway pileup from which you can’t look away.

Then comes a shocking act that will make you feel like you’ve reached the apex of a roller coaster and are about to take that long plunge. It’s no exaggeration to say the film becomes something else entirely. No more details without spoiling the fun.

If this is the way he leaves the movies, Soderbergh is going out dealing. With its seductive feints, his “Side Effects” might just be the sleeper flick of the winter.

Trivia note: Check out the way-clever website created for the fictional drug Ablixa.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Sounds like the Big Pharma TV ads, with idyllic gorgeous scenes of contented, affluent people pursuing artistic leisure activities, backdropped with motor mouthing of hideous drug detritus, spun out into a more lengthy paranoid nightmare. Cool.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the film with my wife this after noon and I must agree with KeithR on this one as it is a cleverly crafted story that will have you right to the end. On a scale of 1-10 I give it an 8.3. I also agree that in 2013 this is the best to date

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing