'plays backwards' :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
below is a link to an Lp that is mastered to be played backwards. as i read the explanation, it supposedly is done that way for Ravel's Bolero since the dynamics build and build thru the piece and the claim is that the outer grooves will sound better than the inner grooves....and so for this piece it's ideal to master it this way.

i really have no comment but thought it worthy of discussion.

OTOH (;)) my opinion is that with the very best 12" arms and linear trackers this is a waste of time.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/8...a-Ravel_Bolero_La_Valse-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The first LPs to be played backwards was back in 1961 when Riverside Records created the Fortissimo label. They were pressed on red clear vinyl (Polymax) and played backwards (from the inside-out). So, "nobody has ever seen a long-playing record that plays backwards" is not right.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The first LPs to be played backwards was back in 1961 when Riverside Records created the Fortissimo label. They were pressed on red clear vinyl (Polymax) and played backwards (from the inside-out). So, "nobody has ever seen a long-playing record that plays backwards" is not right.
Right! I still have a few of them.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
First I heard of this. So Kal... do they sound better? Gary, do you have any of these?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
First I heard of this. So Kal... do they sound better? Gary, do you have any of these?

Yes - I still have a few. I gave most of them away as "novelty items" - all the Banjo Polkas. There were only a couple with music that I'd listen to. Sound may be "nice" and well-recorded but none of the ones I had were good performances or enjoyable music.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Does it help to increase the ant-skating level a little on these LP's?

Playing backwards is supposed to allow the arm to follow the centrifugal forces more easily, and hence anti-skate can be reduced. However, the fact that the delta in speed between the inner groove-wall and the outer groove-wall creates a twisting motion on the stylus, any effect on the anti-skate level is marginal. I tried it both ways - increasing and decreasing the anti-skate, and I recall that it needed to be reduced a little.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Do you need to sprint to the turntable when the record is over?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Gary,

i know this is not the only or first Lp done like this and did not say it was or infer that. it simply looked like an interesting thing to point out.

Mike

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

i know this is not the only or first Lp done like this and did not say it was or infer that. it simply looked like an interesting thing to point out.

Mike

I know, Mike. I was referring to what Acoustic Sounds had posted on the link. It is interesting that they are doing it again.... especially for classical music where the crescendo is at the end of the side and where the grooves are most congested.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you need to sprint to the turntable when the record is over?

Nope - it's a locked groove, like the inner groove on an ordinary LP.

On the Fortissimo LPs, they even had a 400Hz tone on the inside for you to use to calibrate your t/t.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nope - it's a locked groove, like the inner groove on an ordinary LP.

On the Fortissimo LPs, they even had a 400Hz tone on the inside for you to use to calibrate your t/t.

Whew :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The platter is still moving clockwise but you start in the inside? How do they do that?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The platter is still moving clockwise but you start in the inside? How do they do that?

no idea about what changes they had to make to the cutter head and that part.

the stylus has no idea where it's going; it only follows the groove. so if you drop the stylus onto the inner grooves (normally run-out area) and the groove winds outward with the clockwise platter rotation the stylus will follow.

conversely; if you were to cue a normal Lp with the stylus on the inner 'run-off' area on the 'other' side of the spindle, it would play in reverse. the only problem with trying that is that any bumps would be met without the suspension working properly and leaning the wrong way and you could shear off the styus or cantilever quite easily. never tried it so hard to know about what would actually happen. also; many arms are not free to rotate to the other side of the spindle for various reasons of the way they are built so you might need to remount your arm to be able to do it.

it's the combination of the (1) rotation of the platter, (2) the direction that it's cut, and (3) which side of the spindle you drop the stylus.....all three together.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yes - I still have a few. I gave most of them away as "novelty items" - all the Banjo Polkas. There were only a couple with music that I'd listen to. Sound may be "nice" and well-recorded but none of the ones I had were good performances or enjoyable music.
Exactly what I was going to say.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
I once had Pink Triangle turntable which rotated backwards.Fortunately not while the record was playing.The only devices which rotate backward these days are some rcms, so you can scrub thoroughly.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So it's not spinning backwards? It's really playing inside out?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing