In For Review: Vanatoo Transparent One Active monitors

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi guys, I just received in for review a pair of Transparent One active monitors
from Vanatoo. The guys who designed this speaker are pals of our own Gary Koh,
of Genesis. He spoke highly of them, which peaked my interest.

P1020489.JPG

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah, Gary says those babies rock.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Andre. From one review I just ran across.... http://www.audiostream.com/content/vanatoo-transparent-one-powered-speakers

If I had one itch that went unscratched it would be their somewhat dark overall sonic character which is perhaps better described as being mid-bass rich. Cymbals don't have all of their sheen, trumpets don't bite as hard as I've heard from other speakers and the complete rainbow of sonic colors is delivered a tad muted.

That's one heck of an itch in my book.

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hello, Andre. From one review I just ran across.... http://www.audiostream.com/content/vanatoo-transparent-one-powered-speakers

Tom

I'm going in with a clean slate. Michael Lavorgna does a great job with Audiostream, but often I hear things
a bit different then he does...its all good.

There is a new review that just appeared in StereoMojo too.

http://www.stereomojo.com/Vanatoo%20Transparent%20One%20Speaker%20Review/VanatooTransparentOneSpeakerReview.htm

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm interested in knowing why you look at reviews prior to doing your own?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thanks, Andre. I'm not familiar with that reviewer. In fact, I'm not familiar with any reviewers at all. I have always relied on my ears to tell me whether something is good or not. Not others observations. I just so happened to glance through this article and came across what was quoted above. Sounded rather bad to me, is all. Looking forward to your review. Until then, I think I'll slide out for now...

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm interested in knowing why you look at reviews prior to doing your own?

I often read a review of a product I am interested in prior to any review arrangement. I read the Audiostream review
several months ago. I have not read the StereoMojo one.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I often read a review of a product I am interested in prior to any review arrangement. I read the Audiostream review
several months ago. I have not read the StereoMojo one.

Thanks Andre!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I think Emotiva has a product or two in this space. Andre, if so... give it a comparison. I know Emotiva's house sound is not veiled...

"Cymbals don't have all of their sheen, trumpets don't bite as hard as I've heard from other speakers and the complete rainbow of sonic colors is delivered a tad muted." like Micheal writes about this product. Nonetheless, the Vanatoo sure looks like a value play.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think Emotiva has a product or two in this space. Andre, if so... give it a comparison. I know Emotiva's house sound is not veiled...

"Cymbals don't have all of their sheen, trumpets don't bite as hard as I've heard from other speakers and the complete rainbow of sonic colors is delivered a tad muted." like Micheal writes about this product. Nonetheless, the Vanatoo sure looks like a value play.

Hi Peter.

I've tried to contact Emotiva in the past, and they seem to not want to return my calls.

None the less, I reviewed the Paradigm SHIFT active monitors, which is very similar product. Actually,
Michael reviewed those too.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

BTW..when you called Ayon the "Bugatti of audio"...that was spot on. I love their stuff.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Hi Peter.

I've tried to contact Emotiva in the past, and they seem to not want to return my calls.

None the less, I reviewed the Paradigm SHIFT active monitors, which is very similar product. Actually,
Michael reviewed those too.

You are the second reviewer I've heard make that remark in the past week. You'd think they'd be happy to get reviews.

I had a pair of the Emotiva Airmotiv 4's I used nearfield in a desktop application. Just shipped them off to my son when he expressed some interest in moving up from computer speakers and mp3's.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
You are the second reviewer I've heard make that remark in the past week. You'd think they'd be happy to get reviews.

I had a pair of the Emotiva Airmotiv 4's I used nearfield in a desktop application. Just shipped them off to my son when he expressed some interest in moving up from computer speakers and mp3's.

No kidding. Well I don't take it personally. I was taught it is common courtesy to return phone calls. I have heard plenty of "no". I was in sales for a good part of my professional life!

Well what did you think of them.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
No kidding. Well I don't take it personally. I was taught it is common courtesy to return phone calls. I have heard plenty of "no". I was in sales for a good part of my professional life!

Well what did you think of them.

I thought they were a nice little speaker, definitely for nearfied as they didn't have a wide dispersion pattern.

The ribbon tweeter was very good in my opinion. Not a ton of bass (4 " woofer) but what was there was solid.

I bought them on a whim just to check them. I may try them again but move up to the Airmotiv 5.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

I concur - and I put it down to the choice of classD for amplification. Seems a strange choice to me at that power level (60W) when the requisite heatsink for a suitable classB chipamp would most likely comfortably fit on the back panel.

<edit> After looking more closely at the back panel, I see its in the main occupied by the passive radiator so maybe this is what led to the choice of classD.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I concur - and I put it down to the choice of classD for amplification. Seems a strange choice to me at that power level (60W) when the requisite heatsink for a suitable classB chipamp would most likely comfortably fit on the back panel.

<edit> After looking more closely at the back panel, I see its in the main occupied by the passive radiator so maybe this is what led to the choice of classD.

From my experience, almost all the active monitors I have seen use class D. This is a little bit of a different design.

The signal stays digital all the way until output.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing