Raidho D1 vs. TAD CR-1

Mike Gillespie

Jan 19, 2011
Hi, I'm considering the Raidho D1 or the CR-1 for my roughly 16x16 listening room. I'd have available, if needed, 2 JL Audio F112 subs. Just wondering if anyone who went to CES 2013 had a chance to compare them. I heard the Raidho C1.1 and TAD CR-1 both at RMAF and thought they were both terrific. But I haven't heard the D1; just have read that it is tremendously better than the C1.1 I listen to all sorts of music. Would be using a McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC402 SS amp or Music Reference RM-200 tube amp. Thanks.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
Hi, I am completely new on this forum, but I find this place very exciting and interesting ..
I recently listened to the very cr1 compared with the Raidho 1.1, and there really is no comparison. simply another planet.
the cr1 is one of the best speaker I ever heard, resolution and musicality is of an incredible high level.
One caveat: this speaker love high grade tubes.. its transparency highlights any hint of graininess.
Best wishes
Alex

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi, I am completely new on this forum, but I find this place very exciting and interesting ..
I recently listened to the very cr1 compared with the Raidho 1.1, and there really is no comparison. simply another planet.
the cr1 is one of the best speaker I ever heard, resolution and musicality is of an incredible high level.
One caveat: this speaker love high grade tubes.. its transparency highlights any hint of graininess.
Best wishes
Alex

Are these speakers really competing in the same ballgame? The CR-1 is considerably larger, and close to full range. The Raidho C1.1 is a rather small and somehow limited (in bandwidth) stand-mount. There are also large differences inbetween the C1.1 and D1 to consider.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
imho this is not a question of "bigness" but rather a question of absolute qualities, like resolution en transparency.
also a little speaker can theoretically surprise in this regards.
but putted side by side... there was no game.
cr1 plays in an completely other legue.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
imho this is not a question of "bigness" but rather a question of absolute qualities, like resolution en transparency.
also a little speaker can theoretically surprise in this regards.
but putted side by side... there was no game.
cr1 plays in an completely other legue.

I find this rather hard to believe I must say, as these qualities (resolution and transparency) are of the highest possible order in the Raidho-series. That said, I haven't heard them side by side. Have you audioned the new D-1 speakers?

Last edited:

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
i can re-post a pic ( already posted elsewhere here) from the little test we recently made.
Source material comes from dcs scarlatti, and various amps, ss and tube.
Foto.jpg

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Haven't heard them side-by-side, but am always more impressed with the Raidhos. Think they're great speakers.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I had the raidho c3.0 in my room next to my cr1's for a month. To my ears the cr1's were clearly superior in all aspects, the only advantage the raidho had was a certain air in the treble due to the super quick ribbon. I still preferred the cr1's treble overall.

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
Best wishes
Alex

What tube amp drove the TAD?

Mike Gillespie

Jan 19, 2011
Has anybody heard the D1? Which is supposed to be a lot better than the C1.1. Also, I'd be using my JL Audio 112's with the D1 (and even the CR-1) so bottom end response should be less of a factor.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Has anybody heard the D1? Which is supposed to be a lot better than the C1.1. Also, I'd be using my JL Audio 112's with the D1 (and even the CR-1) so bottom end response should be less of a factor.

I posted the section below on Audiogon a couple of days ago. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need more info (from my point of view) of the differences inbetween the C 1.1 and D-1.

I've recently been visiting the Raidho facilities in Aalborg, Denmark.

The day offered a tour including an overview of the Raidho design philosophy and impressive line of production. It's a relatively small company with very ambitious goals combined with skills and craftsmanship of the highest level.

In a relatively ordinary room without any acoustic treatment other than thoughtful proportions and rigid wall structures, the C- and D-series performed in a way that can not be described as anything else but world class. Realistic, homogeneous, balanced, engaging, enfolding and highly musical, where the speakers tend to disappear completely (especially the C- and D monitors). All models played with a very high grade of resolution, with great transparency and realistic dynamics combined with warmth, body and authority that impressed me greatly. The performance was among the best I've ever heard on small-scale music (which I primarily listen to myself ), but they handled complex symphony orchestras and live rock just as easily. The units are also compact and stylish with a finish better than most. I was very, very impressed.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I have had the Raidho in my room (4by5meters) and they were totaly out of control. There were driven by a set of Electrocompaniet AW400.

The Radiho is a great speaker, if you can place them proberly. Otherwise the sound awfull......

The TAD on the other hand is a wunderfull speaker. I havent had them home and only heard them one time. But what a time :D

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I have had the Raidho in my room (4by5meters) and they were totaly out of control. There were driven by a set of Electrocompaniet AW400.

The Radiho is a great speaker, if you can place them proberly. Otherwise the sound awfull......

The TAD on the other hand is a wunderfull speaker. I havent had them home and only heard them one time. But what a time :D

Which Raidho model did you try, and how did you position them in your room? Generally, I believe they need to be placed wider apart than usual, and quite far out from the back wall. A near field setup should work well in most rooms small do medium sized.

There's a lot of in-depth information regarding setup etc. of the C 1.1 and D-2 in this blog post:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/11492-Music-from-a-farther-room

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I had the C1 at home.
They were plased in many differents positions, but the "best" without been good, were almost op aginst the sidewall and1,5-2meters from backwall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing