Can a 7.00 power cord sound better than a 1000.00 power cord

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Well, I guess I am going to find out I just ordered 3 of them. Worst case scenario I throw away 21.00. Best case scenario I sell my current cables and put 2000.00 in my pocket.

Btw- This wasn't my Idea. I was told to do this by a retailer-Importer.
He's running his reference system on these 7.00 power cords and he says it sounds much better than all the high-end power cords he has tried. He even has convinced a lot of his customers to do the same and they all have thanked him for it.

I should have them in about a week so I will report back my findings.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It can certainly sound as good as one if it is rated for sufficient power to run the component.

At low power it certainly could.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
Given that there is no clear way in which we can realistically define 'sounds better' the answer has to be: it might 'sound better'.And for those who say there is an objective test (such as the sound of unamplified music) the problem comes when a number of people all agree on that criteria...and then all come to different conclusions.It happens all the time.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh God...here we go again......:eek:

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
So, what is the source/brand of these "el cheapo" killer power cords? Shielded Volex? Something else? Do tell!

... He's running his reference system on these 7.00 power cords and he says it sounds much better than all the high-end power cords he has tried...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
seems to me that the $7.00 power cord is what component manufacturer's usually supply with their product. (It does the job). One can do much better.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So what brand is the $7.00 power cord?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Well, I guess I am going to find out I just ordered 3 of them. Worst case scenario I throw away 21.00. Best case scenario I sell my current cables and put 2000.00 in my pocket.

Btw- This wasn't my Idea. I was told to do this by a retailer-Importer.
He's running his reference system on these 7.00 power cords and he says it sounds much better than all the high-end power cords he has tried. He even has convinced a lot of his customers to do the same and they all have thanked him for it.

I should have them in about a week so I will report back my findings.

Picture and brand please? Also which importer?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Stranger things have happened. Years ago Radio Shack carried the very cheap Phoenix Gold IC and speaker cable (think was the 320 model) that bested many, much more expensive high-end cables. Sadly it's no longer available and the later, replacement models were terrible. (Sounds like this was a mistake.) For $20 or so, could have a run of IC; another $20 brought you the speaker cable. Scroll down to paragraph 8:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/vpi_scoutmaster.htm

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In one show, I had an IC which was yanked by one of my guys. I needed something to use so I went next door where some DIY guys were. They lent me an IC they made themselves. Looked like the freebies you would get with a DVD player. It worked great.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Maybe the $7. power cord is plugged into a $10K power conditioner.

The first thing the guy did was ask me If I have a power conditioner. I told him I didn't, he said that's a good thing. He went on to say power conditioners ruined the sound of most systems.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The first thing the guy did was ask me If I have a power conditioner. I told him I didn't, he said that's a good thing. He went on to say power conditioners ruined the sound of most systems.

You run in an interesting circle. Amazing quotes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing