Brinkmann Balance vs. Spiral Groove SG1 vs. TW Acustic Black Night

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi,

I'm seriously considering one of these turntables at the moment, and I would truly appreciate any opinions regarding them related to sonics, reliability, flexibility, ease of use & maintenance etc.

The candidates are:

- Brinkmann Balance anniversary (turntable, 10.5 tonearm, Ti-cartridge, tube power supply, HRS-platform)

- Spiral Groove SG1 + Centroid tonearm

- TW Acustic Black Night + Raven 10.5 tonearm

The price for these setups (used or new) are quite similar when adding a cartridge within the 4-5000$ price range to either the Spiral Groove or TW Acustic tables. But, I can get the Black Knight + Raven 10.5 tonearm new at about the same price as the others used.

I'm using the Brinkmann Bardo today, which I believe is a very neutral and reliable table. But, to some degree it doesn't manage to engage me enough emotionally being rather correct and slightly sharp around the edges. What I'm looking for in an upgrade is first and foremost a more generous and musical presentation (warmth, scale, texture, body, flow) - more music and less hifi if you wish.

My taste in music is varied, but I tend to optimize my system based on what I listen to the most (sing- and songwriters), which means that the handling of voices, acoustical instruments and piano are critical.

So far, my gut feeling tells me that the TW Acoustics Black Night might be the answer partnered with the right cartridge.

My phono is the Zanden 1200 MKIII. The rest of the system consists of an Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse (preamp), Karan KA M2000 (monos) and Sonus Faber Futura (speakers). Cabling is Nordost Valhalla (power) + Kubala Sosna Elation (interconnects).

Any inputs are most welcome!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi,

I'm seriously considering one of these turntables at the moment, and I would truly appreciate any opinions regarding them related to sonics, reliability, flexibility, ease of use & maintenance etc.

The candidates are:

- Brinkmann Balance anniversary (turntable, 10.5 tonearm, Ti-cartridge, tube power supply, HRS-platform)

- Spiral Groove SG1 + Centroid tonearm

- TW Acustic Black Night + Raven 10.5 tonearm

The price for these setups (used or new) are quite similar when adding a cartridge within the 4-5000$ price range to either the Spiral Groove or TW Acustic tables. But, I can get the Black Knight + Raven 10.5 tonearm new at about the same price as the others used.

I'm using the Brinkmann Bardo today, which I believe is a very neutral and reliable table. But, to some degree it doesn't manage to engage me enough emotionally being rather correct and slightly sharp around the edges. What I'm looking for in an upgrade is first and foremost a more generous and musical presentation (warmth, scale, texture, body, flow) - more music and less hifi if you wish.

My taste in music is varied, but I tend to optimize my system based on what I listen to the most (sing- and songwriters), which means that the handling of voices, acoustical instruments and piano are critical.

So far, my gut feeling tells me that the TW Acoustics Black Night might be the answer partnered with the right cartridge.

My phono is the Zanden 1200 MKIII. The rest of the system consists of an Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse (preamp), Karan KA M2000 (monos) and Sonus Faber Futura (speakers). Cabling is Nordost Valhalla (power) + Kubala Sosna Elation (interconnects).

Any inputs are most welcome!

Have you tried any other phono stages? Zanden is pretty but really doesn't excite me either.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Not in this system and setup, no. And yes, you might have a point (=one more thing to consider). I've considered the Aesthetix IO earlier as the natural partner to my Callisto preamp, but as I have enough boxes and tubes in my system allready, I've put it all on hold.

Have you tried any other phono stages? Zanden is pretty but really doesn't excite me either.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
Always tricky because no two people have identical taste; I can't help noticing that all three choices lack any attempt at a suspension, and thus cannot deal properly with issues of isolation I've compared several none suspended decks, by themselves and then on a vibraplane. It was clear that all suffered from low-level feedback....hardly surprising because a bit of mass cannot supress vibration. So, whichever deck you choose, I hope you set aside serious money to provide the isolation needed.
Me, I would be looking at decks designed from the start with good isolation. Which is rather more than big lumps of machined metal.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Always tricky because no two people have identical taste; I can't help noticing that all three choices lack any attempt at a suspension, and thus cannot deal properly with issues of isolation I've compared several none suspended decks, by themselves and then on a vibraplane. It was clear that all suffered from low-level feedback....hardly surprising because a bit of mass cannot supress vibration. So, whichever deck you choose, I hope you set aside serious money to provide the isolation needed.
Me, I would be looking at decks designed from the start with good isolation. Which is rather more than big lumps of machined metal.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a Brinkmann Balance setup on the way including a dedicated HRS-platform.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I have a Brinkmann Balance setup on the way including a dedicated HRS-platform.

I would imagine that will be excellent; I think it wise with this type of design to include in the budget the cost of world-class isolation. Should sound fabulous.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I heard the Brinkmann Balance at a show in NYC last year. The dealer was demonstrating both the Balance and the Bardo on active Vibraplanes. They used to prefer custom HRS platforms, but apparently switched and are selling most of their tables with Vibraplanes now. The sound was excellent. I agree with paskinn that proper isolation is essential to getting the most out of an unsuspended turntable.

I use a Vibraplane under my suspended SME table and put the motor controller on it also. It was a nice improvement. The Brinkmann tables are excellent.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

Congrats for the acquisition. I am still in the discovery phase of my Balance. All I can say is that it is an outstanding piece of analog audio. I hope to write a detailed report within two to three weeks.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Hyperion: How's the Brinkmann Balance sounding and did you get the "more generous and and musical presentation" you were looking for? Any insights into the HRS platform and RoNt tube power supply and their contribution to overall sound? I'm considering a new turntable and this is on my list. Thanks!

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi there,

It's wonderful to see this thread coming to live again :D

Fact is that I'm deep into the high-end business these days... www.perfect-sense.se

I've chosen to carry AMG, Vertere, Torqueo and Gold Note on the turntable side, and couldn't be happier. They're all different, fulfilling different needs and wishes at several price points.

/ Marcus

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi there,

It's wonderful to see this thread coming to live again :D

Fact is that I'm deep into the high-end business these days... www.perfect-sense.se

I've chosen to carry AMG, Vertere, Torqueo and Gold Note on the turntable side, and couldn't be happier. They're all different, fulfilling different needs and wishes at several price points.

/ Marcus

Goldnote analog for the price was just so musical when Gian60 and I heard it in Italy. Want to listen to the Torqueo sometime.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Goldnote analog for the price was just so musical when Gian60 and I heard it in Italy. Want to listen to the Torqueo sometime.

Gold Note has a great price- performance ratio and are beautiful in a very classical Italian way. I've just received the Torqueo Compact...

/ Marcus

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Please can you do a small report on the sound of Torqueo when you listen?
Thanks

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Ked,
i am thinking to buy end of the year,also because needs 3 months to delivery a Torqueo,so one weekend we can compare in my home Torqueo against Schopper with his power supply PS1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Ked,
i am thinking to buy end of the year,also because needs 3 months to delivery a Torqueo,so one weekend we can compare in my home Torqueo against Schopper with his power supply PS1

Wow wow wow

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
15 of february is my birthday,so i hope we can do one trial with Bergmann, Schopper with PS1,Torqueo and AF3 with Elite 12",i am changing with my CH A1 that i don't use,
a very good dinner and lunch with Marco and Carlo,and i bring you to listen WE system with ANJapan from Claudio that live 5 km to my home.

Its ok?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
15 of february is my birthday,so i hope we can do one trial with Bergmann, Schopper with PS1,Torqueo and AF3 with Elite 12",i am changing with my CH A1 that i don't use,
a very good dinner and lunch with Marco and Carlo,and i bring you to listen WE system with ANJapan from Claudio that live 5 km to my home.

Its ok?

Almost :). I can leave only 15th night, so we can do the 16th and 17th as that's Sat and Sun. Not sure I can wait that long though, and might have to do a trip earlier later this year for other stuff.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sure we will do in one weekend,not exactly 15.

If i am ready before with turntable,we will do before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing