General Vinyl Questions

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
What is mistracking? My initial impression was skipping, but clearly that is not an issue in this group. It seems to be some type of distortion. Can someone define it , and ways to look for and alleviate it.

The other thing is sometimes when I am holding the tonearm I can hear the game come in on my speakers! It's good enough to listen to. I am using well shielded cables, any other ways to reduce this?

Thanks Jeff

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi Jeff,

You're correct in that mistracking isn't skipping! It refers to what happens when the stylus isn't correctly aligned with the groove, or when the tracking weight is too low. Either of these will cause the stylus to not correctly track the signal defined by the groove, hence mistracking.

To avoid the radio: is your turntable (arm) grounded to your preamp? It's possibly a wire separate from the audio cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing