Nespresso

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'd like to hear some of our experienced espresso folks opinions on this. I received a machine for Christmas and I must say I'm becoming highly addicted to it.

Have not had any snobby java folks over yet though ;)

KeithR

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'd like to hear some of our experienced espresso folks opinions on this. I received a machine for Christmas and I must say I'm becoming highly addicted to it.

KeithR
On my 3rd machine over the years. Completely addicted to it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We have sampled espresso from the Nespresso machine at Williams-Sonoma in NYC a few times.You can hardly get passed the display without their offering espresso to you from several different machines they have on display.

Compared to the multi-thousand dollar machines on display, they produce an espresso with a very good flavor and crema.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Keith

Isn't Nespresso like the Apple of cofee machines?;)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Hi Keith

Isn't Nespresso like the Apple of cofee machines?;)

That's a good one! :D
In effects, the Nespresso machines are sleek and stylish. Also, they allow you to keep everything superclean. And, they are way better than any Starbucks and similar "espresso" coffee or any machine that uses full coffee beans.

BUT

I'm probably a snob coffee drinker. Well, to be more precise, I'm just an Italian who's always drunk coffee the Italian way. Zero interest in frappuccino, mokaccino or caramel coffee.
Just a dense and intense black espresso with a biscuit-colored dense foam on top: and, IMHO, the Nespresso machines fail in this. I tried it several times, and I found it too watery and lacking of aroma intensity.
Any cheap espresso maker, such a DeLonghi and similar, can make a better espresso when using the fine powder (such as from Kimbo, Lavazza or Illy) you buy in bricks. You make a mess and you have to clean, but it's definitely better (if you want the coffee an Italian would like to have). :)

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I ve been using Nespresso machines since 8 years now, and so far none of the other machines have made a better espresso cup consistently time over time again.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm probably a snob coffee drinker. Well, to be more precise, I'm just an Italian who's always drunk coffee the Italian way. Zero interest in frappuccino, mokaccino or caramel coffee.
Just a dense and intense black espresso with a biscuit-colored dense foam on top: and, IMHO, the Nespresso machines fail in this. I tried it several times, and I found it too watery and lacking of aroma intensity.
Any cheap espresso maker, such a DeLonghi and similar, can make a better espresso when using the fine powder (such as from Kimbo, Lavazza or Illy) you buy in bricks. You make a mess and you have to clean, but it's definitely better (if you want the coffee an Italian would like to have). :)

Italy is the gold standard for espresso. I own one of these babies, but the production process is such a hassle that to my infinite regret, I am basically off the home made espresso.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Pavoni-PC-16-Professional-Espresso/dp/B00004S9GH/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Amado

KeithR
which one was your gift ?
I have 3 at home , so you can understand I'm a fanatic !! :)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I have no experience with Capresso nor LaPavoni... they might be excellent.

I do not criticize Nespresso as a machine, I criticize the pods... It's the powder that allows you to make an espresso the Italian way. It has to be very fine, so when the steamy water comes through it "extracts" flavour better :)

Also, but this is a completely not correlated concern, I don't like the idea that all that superhot water goes through a plastic barrier: I wouldn't like to drink some plastic chemicals too... :confused:
But, again, compared to other coffees you can get around, Nespresso is pretty decent: just not truly my cup of... coffee :p

Anyway, whoever is curious to try my espresso and lives in NYC, is welcome to come to my lab, at the NYU Cancer Institute, and I'll prepare some for him :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
which one was your gift ?
I have 3 at home , so you can understand I'm a fanatic !! :)

I have the CitiZ with milk, although have not made lattes quite yet.

I was at Bloomies buying more and there was a line for pods on a Wednesday afternoon. Apparently this is the new toy to have....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We have one in our dressing room. Best splash and dash machine. Not the best but definitely the most convenient machine I've tried.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Steve- have you tried a Nespresso at one of the demos? Not that it compares terribly favorable to your Jura, but would like to hear your thoughts.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve- have you tried a Nespresso at one of the demos? Not that it compares terribly favorable to your Jura, but would like to hear your thoughts.

I haven't Keith as I am not a fan of those prefilled plastic cups

when I looked into buying a semi automatic coffee maker I looked at them all and TBH nothing came close to the Jura

I have owned the Impressa S7 and then S9, then a Z4 and presently a Z5. The newer Z7 is essentially the same with some extra chrome and LCD. The Giga5 however is in yet another class of it's own. I intend on buying one this year although I must admit I am eyeing the Giga 7

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You have a kitchen and a backyard that deserves a Giga 7. Do it! Hehehehehehe!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Bought a machine, incl a box with 16 different flavour coffee /expresso cups .
Very good taste/ fast/ easy to use i like it .
As seen from the shop and people shopping there, it seems almost like a lifestyle product/brand just like apple ;).

Ps i think the cups are aluminium actually

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing