Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nespresso

I have a Miele,have had it for 9 years and it is very good. I have a Faema also which I use more...but I think for the average guy the Nespresso is better.
    "Noise is the enemy. Noise is the unnecessary baggage that most systems carry around like backpackers scaling a crest loaded up with stones - it kills the experience. In audiophile terms, it kills clarity, speed and dynamics." ---Walter Fields

'Remembering That You Are Going To Die Is The Best Way I Know To Avoid The Trap Of Thinking You Have Something To Lose' ---Steve Jobs

"Well, without signal grounding, there is more noise than signal."---Scott Dorsey.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
    I have a Miele,have had it for 9 years and it is very good. I have a Faema also which I use more...but I think for the average guy the Nespresso is better.
    Espresso doesn't really compare to a well-brewed French Press; remember that the whole concept of espresso was a way to make mediocre coffee beans make a more acceptable tasting coffee. It doesn't get as much caffeine out of the beans as brewed coffee, either (which could be either a positive or a negative, depending on your POV)
    Oppo Modwright BDP-105 full mod
    Pass Labs INT-60
    Acoustic Zen Crescendos
    Acoustic Zen cables

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Went to Rome last year and finally understood what a great coffee is all about. Not enough knowledge to be a coffee snob but ...

Making a great coffee using one of the (violently) expensive machines is not a given. One has to learn what makes a great coffee, learn the difference in beans, learn how to preserve the beans, learn how to grind these for the machine, seems that the coarseness of the bean depends on the machine and the pressure settings , so you grind for the machine at hand, then learn the machine then learn the machine again then re-learn the machine so as to make a consistently good coffee It takes a while to make a great coffee, by simply acquiring a great machine, you're not there yet .. just be happy you can make a decent coffee ... And this is not the end , one has to learn to clean the machine , else it will not make good coffee even less consistent coffee and some machine needs to go to the shop to be decalcified... The finest espresso is achieved with semi-automatic machine not fully automatic machines or so told me some Italian friends in Rome ... When confronted to all this, I decided to go with a Breville BES900 XL and the Breville SmartGrinder Pro (it grinds the coffee and somehow put in a well sealed container to preserve freshness) ... And while trying to get into learning the in and out of Espresso making, I drink my morning espresso shot made with a Nespresso Citiz C111 I got for an incredible price on Miami Craigslist ... Consistent good, above most Starbucks espresso IMO.. Not what I was getting day in and out in Rome but .. good enough for me who wasn't a coffee drinker until that day in Rome
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Espresso doesn't really compare to a well-brewed French Press; remember that the whole concept of espresso was a way to make mediocre coffee beans make a more acceptable tasting coffee. It doesn't get as much caffeine out of the beans as brewed coffee, either (which could be either a positive or a negative, depending on your POV)
    IMHO this is the proper way of getting an excellent coffee at home:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and an ARC REF40.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    Went to Rome last year and finally understood what a great coffee is all about. Not enough knowledge to be a coffee snob but ...

Making a great coffee using one of the (violently) expensive machines is not a given. One has to learn what makes a great coffee, learn the difference in beans, learn how to preserve the beans, learn how to grind these for the machine, seems that the coarseness of the bean depends on the machine and the pressure settings , so you grind for the machine at hand, then learn the machine then learn the machine again then re-learn the machine so as to make a consistently good coffee It takes a while to make a great coffee, by simply acquiring a great machine, you're not there yet .. just be happy you can make a decent coffee ... And this is not the end , one has to learn to clean the machine , else it will not make good coffee even less consistent coffee and some machine needs to go to the shop to be decalcified... The finest espresso is achieved with semi-automatic machine not fully automatic machines or so told me some Italian friends in Rome ... When confronted to all this, I decided to go with a Breville BES900 XL and the Breville SmartGrinder Pro (it grinds the coffee and somehow put in a well sealed container to preserve freshness) ... And while trying to get into learning the in and out of Espresso making, I drink my morning espresso shot made with a Nespresso Citiz C111 I got for an incredible price on Miami Craigslist ... Consistent good, above most Starbucks espresso IMO.. Not what I was getting day in and out in Rome but .. good enough for me who wasn't a coffee drinker until that day in Rome
    Excellent! Here's some more thoughts from personal experience... you have to aim for optimal pressure to get the best crema - around 8-9 bars on your pressure gauge; toward that end, keep the coffee weight steady and adjust the grind for the machine; the finer grind you can get the higher the chance you will succeed; that doesn't mean pick the finest grind possible (Turkish coffee), but that the grinder and machine should be able to do Espresso grind and not every one of them does. I like your Breville, but it's not a pro espresso machine (I evaluated it at home along with your grinder as well) - very quiet pump, though, and still tasty coffee. Ideally, go for a 58mm basket and holder, the Breville's is smaller. Next come the coffee beans; suggest you try Intelligentsia Black Cat vs Stumptown Hairbender, two of my most favorite; but there are so many others extremely worthy of experimentation.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000 xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    ..we own two Nespresso's...one in the kitchen one in the bar...love em

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123