Rowland Power storage Unit

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
This is a stubb post where I will post information on the upcoming Rowland Power Storage Unit (PSU). PSU is a new type of largely DC external power supply based on supercapacitor AC current rectification. It is expected to be compatible with the Corus linestage and the Aeris DAC, but not with the Criterion linestage (now withdrawn).

I will post specs, availability, pricing, and reference links as soon as JRDG makes the info available.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What pray tell is a "supercapacitor?" I wonder why you would need a $10K power supply for a linestage box that is pretty empty inside except for the $150 Lundahl transformers that are a substitute for active balanced circuitry?

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi MEP, thankfully, supercapacitors are not a new marketing buzzword. Rather, they are hybrid devices that bridge the characteristics of batteries and caps. From the long and detailed Wikipedia page on supercapacitors at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_double-layer_capacitor

"Supercapacitors have the highest capacitance values per unit volume and have the greatest
energy density
of all capacitors. Supercapacitors are manufactured with capacitance values up to 12,000 F/1.2 V, having specific capacitance values up to 10,000 times
that of electrolytic capacitors.
[1]
With this high capacitance values supercapacitors otherwise are bridging the gap between capacitors and
batteries.
In terms of specific energy as well as in terms of specific power this gap covers several orders of magnitude. However, this high capacitance will in comparison
with batteries only about 10% of the capacity of batteries.
[4]
While existing supercapacitors have energy densities that are approximately 10% of a conventional battery, their
power density
is generally 10 to 100 times as great. Power density combines the energy density with the speed at which the energy can be delivered to the
load.

Unlike batteries, in the faradaic redox reactions of the pseudocapacitance property of a supercapacitor, the ions simply cling to the atomic structure
of an electrode, and no or negligibly small chemical modifications are involved. This energy storage with fast charge-transfer makes charging and discharging
of supercapacitors much faster than batteries. Additionally, supercapacitors will tolerate large numbers of rapid charge and discharge cycles. This makes
them well-suited for parallel connection with batteries, and may improve battery performance in terms of power density,
[4]

In these electrochemical capacitors, the electrolyte is the conductive connection between the two electrodes. This distinguishes them from electrolytic
capacitors, in which the electrolyte is the cathode, and thus forms the second electrode. Supercapacitors are polarized components, which may only be operated
with the correct polarity. The polarity is controlled by design with asymmetric electrodes, or, for those with symmetric electrodes, by a voltage applied
during manufacture.

Supercapacitors, which capacitances are in between conventional capacitors and batteries, allowing a broad spectrum of applications for various power and
energy requirements, including:

• Providing long, small currents for static memory (SRAM) in electronic equipment
• The area of power electronics with very short, high currents as in the
KERS
system in the Formula 1 cars, for electrical energy storage/delivery
• Recovery of braking energy (recuperation) in vehicles such as buses and trains"

... And now we can add, some high end components.

As for Criterion or Corus faking symmetric balance design by the application of Lundahl transformers, you may want to look at some of the entries in the Rowland knowledge base for Criterion, as it largely shares the audio circuit of Corus...

I/O architecture:
http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=35

In circuit:
http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=60

As what supercapacitors may do to the sound of a compatible linestage or DAC, I can only conjecture, which is not terribly useful, because I have not heard the PSU applied to either Corus or Aeris as yet.

If you have the opportunity of listening to Aeris or Corus powered by PSU or by their native power supplies, do let us know your experience-based impressions of the audible difference... Like Stravinsky used to say, Ultimately we judge a tree by its fruits rather than by its roots, although... a good peek at the roots after the fact, can sometimes help to explain 'em darn fruits IMO *grins!*

Saluti, G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hey Wiz, you have me at a disadvantage.... As I already mentioned to you, like some other audiophiles, I "do not do photos", because... I am blind. Would you mind captioning your pics just under the attachment, with just the bare minimum amount of information... Think of what you would give to someone over the phone to illustrate what is important or peculiar or unique on the pic? Something like....

"M725 backpanel: shows The 20A IEC connector in the middle, and one single XLR female receptacle above it. Note the two Cardas binding posts mounted vertically instead of horizontally. One on the left side of the panel, and the other on the right"

If you want to know all the gory details on the subject of image rendering etiquette, see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#text-equiv

Saluti, G.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing