Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The sonic benefits of an external crossover. A discussion.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    So, "bigger is better"? Good point, Gary.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
    So, "bigger is better"?
    Not all the time, but some of the time. I use a 2 lb air core inductor on some applications, and if I put this inside a little bookshelf, it can take up to 20% of the internal volume.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by A.wayne View Post
    My preference is the opposite , and have wires to drivers as short as possible , the added inductance between xover and driver will smear the mid/top end ..
    If you're worried about adding inductance, you get more inductance per metre distance with the thicker cable you use between the amp and the XO, than with the thinner cable you can use between XO and tweeter.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opus111 View Post
    If you're worried about adding inductance, you get more inductance per metre distance with the thicker cable you use between the amp and the XO, than with the thinner cable you can use between XO and tweeter.
    Exactly right. And if you twist the pair of thin wires together going to the tweeter, you'll get inductance even further down. The capacitance in that twisted wire will be at least one if not two magnitudes less than the error in capacitance due to the tolerance in the series capacitor for the high-pass filter to the tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous member of the WBF
    Often external xover doesn't have anything to do with isolation of any kind but a larger internal cavity in the speaker cabinet for better bass response. Problem with the external xover is the additional lengths of wire and extra connectors needed.
    My experience has not been for better bass response (sometimes it worsens though not usually). Length of wire and possibly connections are something I have definitely experienced a downgrade of the sonic signature. The end result after upgrading the components and going external yields a sonic signature that trumps (by far) any additional wire or connection inferiority.

Do you agree or disagree with this anonymous posters statement or not? Please do not pontificate. Serious answers only, preferably with first hand knowledge.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123