XTZ Room Analyzer Measurement Results -- Thoughts?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

Did a bit of toying around with XTZ this past weekend for the first time in my listening room. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the results but I did keep my expectations fairly low not knowing how the room would measure considering zero treatments, very little furniture and one small throw rug on the floor that I got at Lowes on discount... :cool:

Anyway, here is the Room Analyzer Results as taken from the sweet spot. At first my testing wasn't showing any "Modes/Nodes" so I ended up turning up the volume a bit more (SPL Peaked around 93 during the Full Range Tests) and low and behold a single mode appeared at 38hz.
RoomAnalyzerGraph.jpg

I then moved onto a series of Full Range tests. This one here shows the stereo results of my main speakers from the listening position. Decay times in the Midrange are pretty bad I think?
FullRangeGraphRT60Ambient-Stereo.jpg

125hz = .53
250hz = .62
500hz = .65
1K = .63
2K = .59
4k = .5

Next up was another Full Range test where I did one channel at a time and then overlay ed the results to see how things looked. The green "dashed" line is the Right speaker which from this view appears to be the culprit of the previously mentioned mode at 38hz.
FullRangeGraph-Ambient-StereoOverlay.jpg

After seeing the measured results of the two channels I did an Export of the "Ambient" graph data into Excel from each channel to take a closer look at how much difference there was between them from the sweet spot. The graph below shows a 1000ft view overlay in stereo of the channels thru the Midrange
LEFT-RGHT_Output-MidRange.jpg

Taking a zoomed in closer look at the above results I decided to see how much variation in output (DB) was taking place between the two channels as heard from the sweet spot. I only focused in on the Midrange numbers from around 125hz-5,100kHZ. The data shown by the "pink" line was acquired by subtracting the DB output values of both channels to see the difference.
LEFT-RGHT_OutputDifference-MidRange.jpg

Any suggestions/comments on how things look would be much appreciated. Also please feel free to correct anything I may be interpreting incorrectly or have done wrong while gathering these numbers.

Thanks

Last edited:

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Adding a few extra pics of the room layout. Red "X" is the listening postion and where all measurements were taken from.

Room Size = 24L x 15W x 8.5H
Room width changes to the left of seated postion to 13' W due to staircase
TV & Monoblock Amps shown are not in place yet but will be in the future
Speakers are B&W 803 Diamonds (Front Ported)
Amp is PASS Labs X250

Room View #1
ListeningRoom_View1.jpg

Room View #2
ListeningRoom_View2.jpg

XTZ Room Analyzer Sugested Corrections. -6.5db cut @ 38hz
RoomAnalyzerGraph-Corrected.jpg

Corrected Heat Map
RoomAnalyzer-HeatMap-Corrected.jpg

Thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The first thing I would address are the few nulls around 65 ~ 80Hz. The asymmetrical position of the speakers in the long wall and listening position makes it rather difficult to diagnose without knowing the exact positions and some simulation. Perhaps if you could shift everything to a central position just to take some measurements would help diagnosing the bad modes. Just my .02!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't read the numbers in the graphs :). But yes, if 0.65 is the reverberation time at 500 Hz, it is on the high side. Should get it down to 0.4 or so. Is the floor bare wood? If so, for sure you want to cover at least part of that. It would help with the overall reverberation time and also the floor bounce. You want to have something thick there so that it goes down to 500 Hz.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for taking a look. When I posted the pictures I was kinda hoping that they would allow someone to click on them to open up to full size and or include the Inline attachments at the bottom of the post so they could be better viewed but unfortunately that doesn't look like an available option.

The floors are all bare wood except for a small throw rug (not shown) that is located on the floor between the seated position and the front plane of the speakers. The rug runs almost the full length of the distance between the Right/Left channels (The rug is 7ft long and 5ft wide, speakers are 8.5' apart).

I'm kind of stuck in terms of where I can move the seated position because the base of the staircase bumps out into the room about 6" or so blocking me from moving the couch over to the left more. I didn't think it would be a worthy sacrifice to move the seated position 6" closer to the speakers just so I could avoid the bump. I have considered breaking out the circular saw a few times and going to work on the stair case though which is an option if need be :b

From the seated position my ears are almost exactly 9'ft from the front plane of the speakers. Each speaker is 3'ft from the front wall. Right channel is about 1.5ft closer to the side wall then the left channel is to its immediate side wall. The positions were chosen to accommodate a future TV that would be mounted on the front wall as seen in the diagram and so I would be centrally located in front of the TV once its in place.

I have considered adding another throw rug and may go that route to see how it helps as Amirm suggested. Not sure how to go about dealing with the nulls in the 65~80hz range without adding a sub to the equation which I would love to do no doubt. A DRC device like DEXQ has been on my mind for some time but I am still fearful that its internal DAC/Pre circutry may not sound as good as my current all AYRE front end does today.

Does anyone know if DRC is able to deal with issues like long decay times in the Midrange or is that type of problem only handled thru room treatments?

Thanks

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Any kind of furnishings will help with your decay time. Here is an example scenario:

As to fixing that null, EQ can partially fix that by pulling down the level elsewhere. Can you post the full response from 20 to 20 Khz? That way we can see if that is the case or not. Please use 1/6 octave filtering if it has that. Pulling down peaks also helps with their reverberation time for low frequencies.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Amirm, thanks for posting the diagram. It gives a nice idea of how various room objects help to eliminate decay.

Here is a bigger pic of the Full Range test I did with overlay from Right/Left channels.

1.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's much easier to read. Assuming you will be applying DSP to fix some of this, you would want to apply a target curve similar to the top performing auto eq systems in this graph (the ones on top):

If so, then you would be dialing down some of the peaks as the frequencies go up and with it, reduce the differential some between them and the nulls. An example would be the peaks around 125 Hz. Right now they are actually slightly higher in amplitude than the frequencies below them. That said, you already have a somewhat downward curve so there is not a lot of room to maneuver here :).

At the end of the day, you won't be able to achieve dead accurate response. If you have 5 db variations that is still pretty good as non-optimized systems can have 20 to 25 dB variations!

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi CJF, Very nice and I think your response looks great. The only problem is the bump at 38hz and the other around 150hz.
I don't see why you would want to put an equalizer in your system to address two peaks of 5db. And it maybe only one peak as the 150hz is getting pretty high in the freq range, and you may not be able to equalize it. Would you really want to put an equalizer in your system to address one peak?

Of course this all depends on how you think your system sounds. You do not indicate in your post if you are having trouble with bass or other spectrum. How does your system sound to you? Why are you attempting to equalize?

Wendell

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
I finally figured out how to use my XTZ (apparently, plugged in laptops causes a hum and defaulting to the XTZ playback devices causes feedback). For full range, I ran one pass with both speakers in full range bypassing any processing in my pre-pro (yellow dotted line) and another but using my sub, x-overed @ 80Hz 24dB/oct (green solid).

LfRt-overlay_FullRange.jpg

My rooms one of those open plans that backs into the kitchen and I do have some treatment (3 x 24"x48"x4" RPG BAD panels on the ceiling, 3 x Primacoustic MaxTrap in the front corners, 1 x Primacoustic FullTrap in the front corner, 4 x 12"x12"x4" RPG Absorbor in front wall, and 2 x 72" RPG Variscreens in the first reflection zone). I still think the RT60 times are too high. Will attempt to play with the parametric EQ in the pre-pro to see if it helps (or I may mess it up further).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing