Tape Head Pre Amp EQ Controls

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello all,

Here is my question. I understand the need for NAB or IEC eq. However, the tape head pre amps being sold today have NAB or IEC equilization "trim controls". What is the exact purpose of these controls and what impact do they have on the sound of the tape being played? Is there a major impact on the music? Finally, would this the eq trim controls make it easier to use the tape head pre amp with different tape decks? Thanks for your responses. I would love to hear from you.

jazzbo

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello all,

Here is my question. I understand the need for NAB or IEC eq. However, the tape head pre amps being sold today have NAB or IEC equilization "trim controls". What is the exact purpose of these controls and what impact do they have on the sound of the tape being played? Is there a major impact on the music? Finally, would this the eq trim controls make it easier to use the tape head pre amp with different tape decks? Thanks for your responses. I would love to hear from you.

jazzbo

I think what you're referring to are pots for adjusting high frequency rolloff. Especially useful as the heads wear.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Thank you Mr. Astor or anyone who cares to respond,

So, these trim controls are there to boost high frequency as tape heads wear? How much can these controls compensate for worn tape heads and can that have a negative impact of playback? Thanks much.

jazzbo

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I recall an interesting post here at WBF of the EQ curves for both of them, I am not sure these are intended to compensate worn tape heads but mostly to re-create a flat response curve from the original recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I recall an interesting post here at WBF of the EQ curves for both of them, I am not sure these are intended to compensate worn tape heads but mostly to re-create a flat response curve from the original recording.

Well both :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing