Does Anyone Find

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
it curious about the prices asked by ePay sellers on OOP records (for instance Classic Records reissues) when many of these albums are still available from several online sources (Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Soundstage Direct, etc. for far less?

I've even seen instances of sellers asking double the normal/list price for current in print LPs. I once emailed a seller about this and they replied back it was a mistake. Sure!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
buyers need to do their due dilligence. a seller was getting $60 for janis ians breaking silence the week it was re-released by chad and copies from acoustic sounds were still abundant at $30 a pop.

if you have patience some sealed OOP LP auctions with no reserve slip through below orig list price. the planets have to align and you might only get the chance once i great while.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Myles, you bring up a great point. I don't understand these ebay seller's at all. Plus, I also don't get the numerous seller's that try and get astronomical prices for other LP's...many of the MFSL's and M&K's come to mind. You see these same guys post over and over with no sale and yet they continue month after month to re-post??? I guess we are missing something here.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not only that, I've seen records listed for say $39 not sell and then all of a sudden are relisted at $99? Guess what? Still hasn't sold at the higher price either.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yup, seen that too. Just one of the great mysteries of the universe, I guess! Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe someone can clue us in.:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
buyers need to do their due dilligence. a seller was getting $60 for janis ians breaking silence the week it was re-released by chad and copies from acoustic sounds were still abundant at $30 a pop.

if you have patience some sealed OOP LP auctions with no reserve slip through below orig list price. the planets have to align and you might only get the chance once i great while.

---- Right there; that's the magic sentence.

Some people (with cash) don't have time to exercise patience. :b ...And sellers know that.

* "Diligence", only one "l". ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Exactly and before bidding on an item, make sure to check to see if Acoustic Sounds, themusic.com, Elusive Disc, Soundstage Direct, Music Direct, etc. still carry the album. Sometimes one is surprised and can save a lot of money! Sometimes, it works the other way and one can find a new item on ePay for less than the aforementioned retailers too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ah in English we have 'penury' which means extreme poverty, destitution. But we don't as a rule talk of 'a poverty of patience' :)

"Penurie" means shortage. ...Very similar in English. ...Actually it means the same thing when used in the same context.

* Roughly 50% (I believe) that all words in English are the same in French, or very very similar, with one letter (or two) perhaps different, like here for example; penury vs penurie.

But that's too bad (sad) that some people are taking advantage of others financially.
But then, that's the story of our history. :b ...And in audio like everything else.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
If you look closer, you'll discover its not sad at all. Its an opportunity begging to be leveraged :)

Exactly. Leave it to someone who must surely have associates who are nouveau Chinese capitalists to see how business was originally intended! :D :D :D

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Sure, but why go through all the hassle of re-posting and re-posting and paying all of the fees that go along with that. I suspect there is something else involved.

If they're listing auctions without Buy it Now, it is free to list. It is one of the reasons I've seen an increase in auctions with high starting prices for a lot of junk vinyl.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
it curious about the prices asked by ePay sellers on OOP records (for instance Classic Records reissues) when many of these albums are still available from several online sources (Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Soundstage Direct, etc. for far less?

I've even seen instances of sellers asking double the normal/list price for current in print LPs. I once emailed a seller about this and they replied back it was a mistake. Sure!

That's why it always pays to check Acoustic Sounds site first. I have made this error a few times in the past and paid way more than I needed too on ebay, when the same record was still available at the store.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing