YG Anat vs. Sonja: What are the sonic differences?

caesar

May 30, 2010
My brief survey of the CES writeups shows that the YG Sonja is the consensus best of show winner across all experts. How is this speaker different - sonically - than the Anat? Is it the new reference?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The Sonja is a passive speaker while the Anat is active under 200Hz. This will result in very different experiences between the speakers with the same exact same amplifier.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
The Sonja is a passive speaker while the Anat is active under 200Hz. This will result in very different experiences between the speakers with the same exact same amplifier.

This was the case when hearing the new Kipod passive next to the current Kipods at YG. I liked the passives more.

storelli

Sep 13, 2012
The Anat is active below 65hZ and the Sonja was developed as YG managed to extend the DualCoherent crossover to the bass, so it is more coherent than the active bass.
I've not heard the passive Sonja, but people told me it is slightly more coherent top to bottom than the active Anat.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Other than the passive module, the only difference is the skin. The baffle is slightly different, which is primarily cosmetic. The off-axis linearity is slightly better due to the new baffle. 90% of the difference is due to the passive woofer which includes Yoav's dual coherent cross-over technology. Is that much of an improvement? Well, yes it is. I would qualify that though. If the room is dialed in and speakers are already in the optimum position, then the passive is the way to go. Scotty Warren and I did the upgrade this morning. Here are some pix: crossover.jpg
binding.jpg room.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff...is it primarily a matter of coherence? Or are there other sound quality differences between Anat and Sonja?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I upgraded the crossover and binding posts. I dont have the sonja skin. The difference is much more clear mid bass. You can especially tell listening to any drum. Im a former drummer, so that counts for alot. The low bass is also very good and the dynamics are unaffected. Theres also the advantage of my dac not having to drive the Soulution and the plate amps. It sounds a little sweeter.
great stuff...is it primarily a matter of coherence? Or are there other sound quality differences between Anat and Sonja?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I upgraded the crossover and binding posts. I dont have the sonja skin. The difference is much more clear mid bass. You can especially tell listening to any drum. Im a former drummer, so that counts for alot. The low bass is also very good and the dynamics are unaffected. Theres also the advantage of my dac not having to drive the Soulution and the plate amps. It sounds a little sweeter.

Very cool...congrats. I am curious as to why it sounds sweeter. I get the crossover helping to lower distortion in the midbass. Enjoy!

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Very nice!
Just traded in a pr. of Carmels last night towards the Kipod II signature studios. Should have them within a couple weeks. With my amps and room felt it would be better to get the active version, although did feel the passives were a little more coherent when we heard them. If I ever move back to SS amps I might switch the Kipods out too.
Enjoy!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That's an awesome speaker in the right room. How large is your room? I had the carmel before I switched to anat. I think the carmel is priced just low enough to get you hooked on the sound. :) best full range 2 way I know of. Switching over to passive is not that tough and you won't need to replace the binding posts because you will get the new posts.

Very nice!
Just traded in a pr. of Carmels last night towards the Kipod II signature studios. Should have them within a couple weeks. With my amps and room felt it would be better to get the active version, although did feel the passives were a little more coherent when we heard them. If I ever move back to SS amps I might switch the Kipods out too.
Enjoy!

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
That's an awesome speaker in the right room. How large is your room? I had the carmel before I switched to anat. I think the carmel is priced just low enough to get you hooked on the sound. :) best full range 2 way I know of. Switching over to passive is not that tough and you won't need to replace the binding posts because you will get the new posts.

My room is dedicated 14 X 18 X 8. Record shelves along some of the long walls, and speakers placed on short wall. The Carmels were used (run full range) with a pr. of JL Audio F110 subs, crossed over at 35hz. I agree about best 2/way, I have only heard one stand mount or floorstanding 2/way I enjoy as much and thats the Kharma mini exquisite. IF we had not been able to move up to the Kipods these Carmels may have been the end of the speaker road for my wife and me. Those new YG binding posts look really nice, saw them making some last year when my wife and visited them after RMAF. Lived outside of Kuafman TX. for around 12 years. Enjoy your system I'm sure it sounds wonderful!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing