new home for my Magico Q1

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I am sitting 4meters from the speakers - and I could put the speakers further back in the corners
The whole room is designed as an interaction between the Varitunes bass traps, the wings, the TP600 pillars and the additional custom made traps (ceiling, front corners, behind backwall). They act as a single unit and are tuned at the location by Matts Odemalm from SMT. The distance from back wall is not an issue, it was integral part of design.

If the Wings would be normal diffusers, you would be right: with all other diffusers I know, you typically need to sit at 3 times the wavelength (typically 3meters for 340Hz) to avoid ghost speakers effect and to get the sound field together.
The wings are not normal diffusers, they are developed to optimize in the time domain. They are designed as a single broadband time delay line module, which works very well in the near field instead (40-60cm distance required as minimum). The key design criteria is not how broadbanded they diffuse, but rather how broadbanded they delay the sound inside the delay line compartment.
See attached a CATT simulation of the flower wings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0KwhlCK9s&feature=em-upload_ownerT
hope it helps, Matts from SMT can give you more info.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A few people asked me how the back of the room is treated. Here a pic: diffusion at the center, helmholtz resonators in the corners (movable) and at the junction between back wall and floor. Behind the diffusers back wall, there is a custom made big bass trap, tuned to 26Hz. See also the S1 on the sides for HT.
View attachment 10954

Siesta time!! :D

Jokes aside...nice room stereo! I am VERY interested to learn more on de Q1s...

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
I have taken a better picture of the acrylic diffuser. Sound enters from one side and exit on the opposite side, diffused, with a 6msec delay
View attachment 7956

And have now added an absorbent / diffusive rug as well as spiked the speakers. Sounds has improved 2 notches.
View attachment 7957

Hello Stereo and congratulation with à top notch room! I am à new member at this forum and I come from Stockholm, Sweden. I have had Matts on SMT to help me with my room for almost 10 years now. I started small and have now à fully treated room. It is really cool to experience every step Ii have done through the years. For me the SMT treatment of the room have given so much to come as close as it gets to music heaven:). Its really nice to see your 'all-in', thats the way to go!

I have à question to you: Have you tried any diffusor on the first reflection on the floor? I use 1 flowerwing on the floor on the first reflection for each speaker. I think the improvements is as big as the first reflection on Wall/ roof. It doesnt take so much of the floorspace. I have some pictures (but I must figure out how to do) .

Best regards fr.o.m. Krelle

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Krelle - welcome to the forum. You can attach images by clicking Go Advanced button.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Krelle - welcome to the forum. You can attach images by clicking Go Advanced button.

Or simply hit reply and select insert image from the tool bar.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I have à question to you: Have you tried any diffusor on the first reflection on the floor? I use 1 flowerwing on the floor on the first reflection for each speaker. I think the improvements is as big as the first reflection on Wall/ roof. It doesnt take so much of the floorspace. I have some pictures (but I must figure out how to do) .

Best regards fr.o.m. Krelle
I heard from another Stockholm guy that it was working very well.... I may give it a try. Please send some pics!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Stereo,

Do you want me to change the title of this thread to "New Home for my Ultimate 3" for you? ;)

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Hey Stereo,

Do you want me to change the title of this thread to "New Home for my Ultimate 3" for you? ;)

Only if you can make them appear in my room 5mths earlier ;)
Joke aside, I am still very happy with my Q1 system. I have never listened to as much music, which is a good sign! The system is so musical right now that I am not in a hurry to get the Ultimate, I can wait for a few more months...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In 5 months then :)

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
image.jpg

Hello agan, thank you all for your help. This is à pictures from My friends room. He uses 4 flowerwings on the floor. I only use 2. We have tried different angles on the difusers it helps to get even more fokus on voices. / Krelle

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
image.jpg

This is My frontwall, the picture is about 4-5 years old but looks the same today. Roof and Walls are nowadays couvered with the wings. Paperwings in the roof and s-Wanda flowerwings. I dont have any recent pictures the room, sorry about that. Regards Krelle

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Veeeeery handsome system Krelle. You should open up a thread in the member's gallery so we can know more about it and you of course. :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear stereo,

I just saw this thread. Your room looks amazing!

I could not find this information in the posts, please forgive me if you explained this at some point, but what are the physical dimensions of your room (length, width and height) before the SMT equipment was installed?

Were you concerned at all about the concept of taking all the acoustic measurements before your system was in place in the room, as opposed to installing all of the audio equipment first and then taking sound measurements and making acoustic treatment decisions with the equipment in place, in situ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing