DeVore Gibbon 3XL

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I live in Wisconsin, and therefore am many states away from any stores that carry the DeVore line of speakers. I would like to have a secondary system that would give me some quality music in a very small den in which my wife and I like to sit and read, surf the net, enjoy a cocktail, watch tv, and simply relax in. The room is very small, (11.5ft x11.5ft with only 7.5ft high ceiling) and square....yikes!!!

With me being a musician, purity of tone and timbre is of utmost importance and I cannot tolerate a booming bass. However, I would like to experience the weight of the lower registers of the cello or string bass or a heavy left hand on the piano.

Without me being able to hear these speakers, I was wondering if other members here might have some experience with them and be willing to share their thoughts with me in regards to these speakers and their room/space requirements.

Thank you much!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I liked the DaVore speakers a lot at RMAF last year, not sure what model I heard thou.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I live in Wisconsin, and therefore am many states away from any stores that carry the DeVore line of speakers. I would like to have a secondary system that would give me some quality music in a very small den in which my wife and I like to sit and read, surf the net, enjoy a cocktail, watch tv, and simply relax in. The room is very small, (11.5ft x11.5ft with only 7.5ft high ceiling) and square....yikes!!!

With me being a musician, purity of tone and timbre is of utmost importance and I cannot tolerate a booming bass. However, I would like to experience the weight of the lower registers of the cello or string bass or a heavy left hand on the piano.

Without me being able to hear these speakers, I was wondering if other members here might have some experience with them and be willing to share their thoughts with me in regards to these speakers and their room/space requirements.

Thank you much!

Liked the Gibbons a lot, though sounded better with tubes (ARC, Line Magnetics) than with ss at the shows. Surprisingly musical with a nice midrange and soundstaging. Sound a lot bigger than they look too.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I really like all of the DeVore speakers I've auditioned, but haven't had the opportunity to listen to the 3XL's. In fact, my final choice for speakers was the Daedalus Ulysses and the DeVore Silverbacks but couldn't arrange an in home audition to compare. John DeVore is a great guy and has great taste in music. Loved his room at RMAF.

BTW Myles--DeVore is going to be at In Living Stereo on January 31st to demo the Orangatuns...http://www.devorefidelity.com/

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I really like all of the DeVore speakers I've auditioned, but haven't had the opportunity to listen to the 3XL's. In fact, my final choice for speakers was the Daedalus Ulysses and the DeVore Silverbacks but couldn't arrange an in home audition to compare. John DeVore is a great guy and has great taste in music. Loved his room at RMAF.

BTW Myles--DeVore is going to be at In Living Stereo on January 31st to demo the Orangatuns...http://www.devorefidelity.com/

Thanks Mark! Unfortunately work nights though might see if could move my client :(

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Myles--We'd love a report if you can make it!

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Thank you gentlemen for your comments thus far.

Any idea how they might perform in my small den? Or what kind of space constraints they might have?

Also, how do you think they might compare with Harbeth P3ESR or M 30.1?

Thank you all for your contributions!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thank you gentlemen for your comments thus far.

Any idea how they might perform in my small den? Or what kind of space constraints they might have?

Also, how do you think they might compare with Harbeth P3ESR or M 30.1?

Thank you all for your contributions!

Hard call since I also like Harbeths as well as the Feasterex-based speaker from Volti Audio. Would be great if you can have a home trial.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Hard call since I also like Harbeths as well as the Feasterex-based speaker from Volti Audio. Would be great if you can have a home trial.

I just got done looking at the Volti website. A couple of his speakers remind me of the big Klipsch line of speakers from years ago. Back in the eighties I had the Klipsch Korner Horns. Very large, sat in the corners obviously, big dynamic sound but you could hear the colorations of the mid and tweeter horns and not the most balanced in frequency response. Not very refined either. They loved tubes. Brings back memories though!

I saw the speaker that uses Feasterex drivers....they look pretty large and might dominate in this little room I am trying to work with though.

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis

Thank you much!

You're really only 2 states away from a DeVore dealer. . .St. Louis Stereo is a dealer.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
for my l 2nd system in a small room I use stirling broadcast LS3/5a Bbc monitors or harbeths are also superb , both not great on bass extension as they are tiny . if you need deeper bass , atohm GT1 might fit the bill nicely

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
You're really only 2 states away from a DeVore dealer. . .St. Louis Stereo is a dealer.

Hello catastrofe,

I did notice the St. Louis dealership after I made my original post. However, at over a 16 hour roundtrip drive from where I live in Wisconsin, I'd hardly consider that being next door, so to speak. The next closest dealer is in Ohio at well over 20 hours roundtrip.

I have communicated with Charlie of St. Louis Audio a few times lately via email and will plan a trip down to see him, but realistically this won't happen until springtime as the weather is so unpredictable this time of year with snow and ice storms.

Thank you for pointing out the St Louis dealer for me though. Seeing as you are from the St.Louis area, have you had an opportunity to compare the Harbeth's with the DeVores? I'd love to hear any thoughts about them that you'd like to share.

Warmest regards,
No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
for my l 2nd system in a small room I use stirling broadcast LS3/5a Bbc monitors or harbeths are also superb , both not great on bass extension as they are tiny . if you need deeper bass , atohm GT1 might fit the bill nicely

Hello daytona600,

Thank you for your post. I think that I'd probably be safe with the little Harbeth P3ESR's in my small den....and if I wasn't happy with them, they seem to be much loved that I could probably pass them along easy enough.

I appreciate your tip on the atom GT1. I wasn't really familiar with them. I'll have to do some research and see what I can learn more about them.

Thanks again,
No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA

Hi jazdoc,

Just curious if you were able to make the In Living Stereo DeVore demonstration on the 31st. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it, if you are willing to share the experience with us.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Are all of his speakers named after members of the ape family?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hi jazdoc,

Just curious if you were able to make the In Living Stereo DeVore demonstration on the 31st. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it, if you are willing to share the experience with us.

Nope. Long drive from Bellevue, Washington :D

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
No regrets 6moons review on the atohm GT1

my buddy has a pair in piano gloss white to keep his wife happy , build and finish is top-notch as you would expect from a french company
keep the WAF ( wife acceptance factor ) and wiring down as driven directly via a mytek dsd dac with GSP amps mounted to the speakers

atohm is owned by the ex-chief designer of triangle in france , they also make the drivers for waterfall

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/atohm/1.html

small stirling broadcast & harbeths BBC monitors are little crackers , bigger ones like the LS3/6 are excellent

all these small monitors work very well with GSP 25wpc mini mono blocks fitted directly to the back of the cabinets

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/power-amp.htm

http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/

re very long drives in the states to audition speakers , do you not have home loans in the USA
ie - dealer takes card details for security , they ship to you for a week or two
if you like them you pay for them , if not they collect/return

works very well , to well in fact. last loan i got was a Ikeda 9TT
that did not go back

Last edited:

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
Hello catastrofe,

I did notice the St. Louis dealership after I made my original post. However, at over a 16 hour roundtrip drive from where I live in Wisconsin, I'd hardly consider that being next door, so to speak. The next closest dealer is in Ohio at well over 20 hours roundtrip.

I have communicated with Charlie of St. Louis Audio a few times lately via email and will plan a trip down to see him, but realistically this won't happen until springtime as the weather is so unpredictable this time of year with snow and ice storms.

Thank you for pointing out the St Louis dealer for me though. Seeing as you are from the St.Louis area, have you had an opportunity to compare the Harbeth's with the DeVores? I'd love to hear any thoughts about them that you'd like to share.

Warmest regards,
No Regrets

Charlie is a great guy...glad you've had a chance to touch base with him.

Unfortunately, I have not listened to Harbeths or DeVores. I should probably do so at some point, since it would be a convenient trip.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing