SD Card digital music player

cowboy

Jan 3, 2013
A interesting product with SD card support only, and is claimed as a Hi-End digital transport, http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa660.htm

Some Key features:

- Support wav, ape, flac and mp3, support wav up to 24bit/192KHz
- Support SD up to 128G
- Support all kinds of digital output including I2S
- Hi-End level sampling clock and power supply system.

Is there anybody ever tried such kind of player?

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I have a couple of their earlier generation (also considerably cheaper) players, the QA550. These have worked well apart from a couple of niggles and they're the only thing in this niche. I'd not consider their new one as the price is way too high for the features on offer - I'd prefer to design my own:) A Raspberry Pi probably could do this job for around 10% of the price.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Could you just use a standard card reader that takes any of a dozen or so different card formats and provides a USB output? Plug the USB from the reader into your DAC unit? It just does not seem like there would be a big market for an SD/CF/whatever DAC...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Could you just use a standard card reader that takes any of a dozen or so different card formats and provides a USB output? Plug the USB from the reader into your DAC unit? It just does not seem like there would be a big market for an SD/CF/whatever DAC...
Yes. My car can do that. ;-)

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

There are two kinds of devices with USB sockets on them - 'host' and 'device'. You can't connect two 'devices' together and expect any results. Both DACs and card readers are the 'device' type.

I am rather hoping that there is a market for an integrated SD card player / DAC / amplifier :) But that's a subject more fitted for the 'frugal audiophile' section.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Oh then that would be my confusion over what your original meaning was, sorry Don :D I'm only aware of one mainstream DAC that plays from SD cards - the Invicta. I have one (non-mainstream) but the sound sucks badly. What examples are you aware of, I could do to have my horizons broadened here it seems?

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I was only speaking of USB, I did not know any DACs had SD card inputs but it is not something I have ever looked for. My suggestion was to buy an SD card-reader, which has a USB output, and plug that into a DAC that has a USB input. Instead of buying a special-purpose SD device.

I do not understand what if any advantage there is in SD cards over USB thumb drives or other formats? Why would you put music onto an SD card? Not something I know much about, just curious.

Aside: My little Zoom field recorder does use SD cards, but I never thought of getting a special SD-reading DAC. The Zoom has a USB output to dump the files.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Hi Don

I wonder what products you have in mind.
The DACs I know supporting UAC1/UAC2 expect a host (see the post by Opus111)
I know there are a lot of receivers able to play from a USB stick or even USB HD but they have a “PC” embedded.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... I may have to eat my words on this one. Or at least spend time looking through DAC data sheets, which seems a waste of time since I suspect y'all have done that already. I thought there were a few but haven't really looked. I have seen several AVRs that will play a USB stick and assumed the USB input on a DAC meant it would too, i.e. it would have a host controller embedded, but that does not seem to be the case. Sorry guys! I had to work today, maybe I'll try to look later and see what I find.

My apologies, engage brain before keyboard...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hmmm... I may have to eat my words on this one. Or at least spend time looking through DAC data sheets, which seems a waste of time since I suspect y'all have done that already. I thought there were a few but haven't really looked. I have seen several AVRs that will play a USB stick and assumed the USB input on a DAC meant it would too, i.e. it would have a host controller embedded, but that does not seem to be the case. Sorry guys! I had to work today, maybe I'll try to look later and see what I find.

My apologies, engage brain before keyboard...
The Oppo 103/105 have two USB inputs, one for each of those functions.

EDIT: 105, only.

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
I may have to eat my words on this one.

Bon appétit!

Probably a Android stick would make a nice SD card player

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Oppo BDP-103/105 players.

Right. The significant point, however, it that they are of two different types.

---- ...Three (3) USB 2.0 high speed ports. ...For high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.

* ...Many hi-rez audio and hi-def video formats supported.

Some' else Kal?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
---- ...Three (3) USB 2.0 high speed ports. ...For high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.

* ...Many hi-rez audio and hi-def video formats supported.

Some' else Kal?
Yes. In addition to those 3 USB 2.0 high speed "A" ports, there is a USB "B" dedicated audio input on the rear. The first three access files from USB drives via the Oppo GUI. The "B" port lets the Oppo function as an audio DAC which will process all compatible signals fed to it by external players or servers. IMHO, this is significant because the Oppo GUI is inadequate for large collections. The "B" port operates like the coax, optical, HDMI and ethernet ports and with the ability to accept up to 24/192 program at the moment.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes. In addition to those 3 USB 2.0 high speed "A" ports, there is a USB "B" dedicated audio input on the rear. The first three access files from USB drives via the Oppo GUI. The "B" port lets the Oppo function as an audio DAC which will process all compatible signals fed to it by external players or servers. IMHO, this is significant because the Oppo GUI is inadequate for large collections. The "B" port operates like the coax, optical, HDMI and ethernet ports and with the ability to accept up to 24/192 program at the moment.

---- And that "B" USB port on the rear, is it functioning like an audio USB Asynchronous DAC on the 105 only, or/and also on the 103?

Yes, only the 105 has that particular special feature regarding that USB DAC.
...Among others, like digital Coaxial and Optical inputs, acting also like a DAC.
...And separate analog stereo output (not on the 103).

In the 103, the only inputs are the two digital HDMI inputs. ...And the Ethernet port of course.
{The three USB ports don't act like a DAC, in the 103.}

Nice working with you Kal. :b

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
---- And that "B" USB port on the rear, is it functioning like an audio USB Asynchronous DAC on the 105 only, or/and also on the 103?
Yes for the 105. No for the 103. OTOH, I am using the ethernet inputs on each of them to "render" what I push from my PC/server.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing