AM Audio Excellence A-300X

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
The next upgrade for the M-150 owners is the A-70 S2 at €4000.
A-70 delivers 70 watt class A. Output current 56A and weight is 48 kg.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
M-150 delivers 5 watt in class A. AM has now an upgraded M-150 model; M-150 H at €3000 - it can deliver up to 10 watt in class A.
Yes they are cheap because of only direct sales.

And the sound is exceptional for the price, it can be compared to much more expensive products from other brands.

Last edited:

wizard

Oct 17, 2010

PI Greco A-1000X made by AM Audio.

A-1000X has been conceived to establish a reference point in their category, providing high power and an outstanding music reproduction quality.

A-1000X is a balanced amplifier consisting of two symmetrical amplification
circuits. The input amplification stage of this power amplifier only uses two active components: the first MOSFET (2SK214) covers the whole voltage gain required, while the second one (2SJ77), features only a current gain, ensuring a low impedance output. As in all PIGRECO’s power amplifiers, the final stage provides a both current and voltage amplification.

This power amplifier employs 20 pairs of selected MOSFETs for each sub-amplifier, for a total of 80, which are able to deal with steady currents of 140 Amperes and to dissipate 8kW at 20 °C.

Electrical paths are as short as possible: two IR 36A/400V diode bridges, attached and dissipated to the frame, are connected to the 3000 VA transformer. The toroidal transformer has been manufactured with great care and resin-coated inside the large, 2 mm-thick, polished and chrome-plated black steel container, which is insulated, by means of 12 vibration dampers, from the 3 mm-thick steel frame. The frame is laser-cut and reinforced with 12x20 mm aluminum bars.

Filtration is obtained through various stages, using several parallel electrolytic capacitors providing 120,000, 8.200, 5.600, 2.200 and 47?F respectively, and polypropylene capacitors providing 100 ?F, for a to tal of 1.2 Farads for each monophonic power amplifier.

The input circuits power supply is filtered and stabilized independently, in order to avoid any interference with the power stage, while 3 additional independent secondary circuits feed the low start, loudspeaker protection and bias reduction circuits. All the electronics is installed on nine fiberglass, 2.4 mm thick, double-sided printed circuit boards, featuring 120 micron thick copper paths, complying with military standards.

This power amplifier uses only top-quality components: 1% metal layer resistors, PP and PS capacitors, Cermet trimmers, relays with golden contacts, power resistors complying with military standards, IR diode bridges and selected Toshiba, Motorola and Hitachi active components.

From the aesthetics point of view, this device, for the most part, reminds of the preamplifiers design, since the machining processes employed are the same; however, some decorative elements have been added, such as the lower MOSFET banks, tilted in order to improve their aesthetic effect, the rear and front nameplate, made of black Plexiglas and reverse engraved, the chrome plated inserts of the heat sinks and the black chrome plated sub-base. The aluminium cover fits into a frame of rounded profiles continuing, as in the preamplifier, the front panel design line.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
The Pi Greco brand products are only sold in China, HK and Macao.
For the rest of the world - AM Audio.

And available now A-120X and A-60X.

In the middle of June the PA-60X integrated and the Excellence phono stage will be available.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010

Pi Greco/AM Audio A-1000X - Power output Class AB in 8/4/2 ohms - 1000/1650/2400 watt, Class A in 8/4/2 ohms - 100/100/100 watt - all at 0,65% distortion.
Weight - 128 kg each.

And it has been tested vs Boulder 3050 in HK - and A-1000X was sounding better at a lower price.

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
I'm waiting for AM to release the new A-120X monos - to connect it to the Lansche No 7 speakers.
AM's balanced sound will be a great match to the No 7 Corona plasma tweeter.

Wizard, did you listen A-120X as planned? Can you describe yours impression? I’m now on the way to choose amp for my system and AM Audio A-120X in my list.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wizard, did you listen A-120X as planned? Can you describe yours impression? I’m now on the way to choose amp for my system and AM Audio A-120X in my list.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures there if you have a little time and dont mind. I have read great things about AM but never heard, so most curious as to where you end up. Good luck and enjoy!

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
Thanks for yours comment LL21. If I`ll have chance to hear some AM Audio amp I`ll post my review. Hope I`ll like it!

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Maybe I can contribute:

When I had in my early days (late nineties) a C-J Premier11 together with a Counterpoint SA-3 pre I did switch on my dealers recommendation to an early AM Audio pre and class A power amp. I was surprised at how good it was, but could not bring myself around to understand its quality (probably misconceptions re valve and transistors..). When thinking back, I suspect it was one of the good items i missed ;-)
Especially the pre was really good with the CJ! the power did not make that much difference, which again speaks for it, considering the P11a!

But of course these were early models. I will visit them once; they are near Milano, near from me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe I can contribute:

When I had in my early days (late nineties) a C-J Premier11 together with a Counterpoint SA-3 pre I did switch on my dealers recommendation to an early AM Audio pre and class A power amp. I was surprised at how good it was, but could not bring myself around to understand its quality (probably misconceptions re valve and transistors..). When thinking back, I suspect it was one of the good items i missed ;-)
Especially the pre was really good with the CJ! the power did not make that much difference, which again speaks for it, considering the P11a!

But of course these were early models. I will visit them once; they are near Milano, near from me.

I have a lot of respect for your ear and your discernment of high end audio...if you hear them, please let us know what you think. Thank you!

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
Maybe I can contribute:

Egidius thanks for informative comment. Will be very very excited if you’ll have experience to hear contemporary AM Audio products and share yours experience with us. Will waiting yours review with great interest.

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
The Pi Greco brand products are only sold in China, HK and Macao.
For the rest of the world - AM Audio.

And available now A-120X and A-60X.

In the middle of June the PA-60X integrated and the Excellence phono stage will be available.

The A-60 x is now on its way to me...

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Just on a side note, this amp had the same blue caps as my amp Magnus MA-300. But, it seems a lot of newer mps are going with smaller and more caps. I upgraded mine to the smaller ones I am sure this amp will sound just fine.

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
Big congratulation porselen. if possible please write some feedback when you listen it. Also will be very interesting to know how A60X sounds compared to yours previous amp? I'm very intrigued. Also if possible write what pre, DAC and speakers you use in your system. Thanks a lot in advance for your review.

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
Hi Porselen,
Did you received yours A-60X? Do you like how it sounds? Can you describe your impression of amp and write mini review of it? Will be very interesting to hear your feedback. Thanks in advance for reply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing