FFT audio analysis flaws?

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Orb,
Thank you - I will email Paul Miller - that FFT plot you mention on post 22 is from him.

I only found this so far from PM - http://www.referenceaudio.se/ImageUpload/MusicalFidelity/vlinktest.pdf - a test on the MF V-Link USB-SPDIF converter that references Jim LeSurf's IQ-test & prompts PM to zoom in on his FFT of the DACMAgic. It now shows "My test yielded a discrete & very obvious +/- 0.9Hz, +/- 1.8Hz,etc jitter from a 12KHz signa lat just -30dB. If this were a turntable it would equate to a W&F of just 0.0005% but treated as jitter it comes pout as a massive 1680nS"

So I guess, PM is confirming the same results & jitter calculations as Jim LeSurf did for the DACMagic

As an aside, one of the reasons this jitter is not suppressed by the DACMagic's ASRC (& most other ASRC's) is probably because of it's cut-off bandwidth i.e any jitter below about 3Hz gets through un-attenuated. It might be one of the reasons why lower jitter sources still sound better than higher jitter sources into DACs that use ASRC on their inputs?

Thanks for the info on the new AR DAC measurements.

I note also that Demian Martin from Product Design Services also uses a very high resolution FFT to analyse exactly this close-in noise or modulation - 4M or 16M point FFTs with 10 averages. So it can possibly be done with FFTs but it takes a bit of time to run & is not often done.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Definitely an interesting subject and thanks for a great thread.
Yes I think you are right regarding cut-off bandwidth, which may be due to limitation of the DAC chip; was one surmisation this was a potential cause.
Just to add for those concerned regarding the AR DAC, the Audio Research Ref DAC stood out because the USB and SPDIF provided great sound (excellent to good measurements) and so the network quality badly stood out (which reflects the unusual measurement).
Thanks again
Orb

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Definitely an interesting subject and thanks for a great thread.
Thanks Orb
Do you have a link to Paul Miller's follow up letters with Jim - I can't find them?
Yes I think you are right regarding cut-off bandwidth, which may be due to limitation of the DAC chip; was one surmisation this was a potential cause.
What I meant was that all ASRC's have a corner frequency below which they do not attenuate any jitter, they just pass it through. The lowest corner frequency I've seen stated for ASRC's is 3Hz so any jitter below this is untouched & gets through to the DAC.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I will need to try and find them, unfortunately I have a heck of a lot of reference info so it takes a big effort.
If you do get a response from PM that you can post info on in the meantime that would probably be quicker, but will keep this in mind and try to think where the digital and paper info is stored on this.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing