Dyna 20X 1.0 mv Loading Options

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looking for some options for loading this cartridge with a Rogue 99 Magnum???

Jay

Jay:

There's no hard and fast rule-esp. with the changes in materials changing the MC's resonance point and everyone's system being different (for instance, if rolled off, 47 K might sound better than say with a "bright" system). The only thing that I've noticed over the years is that cartridges with tube phono/preamps usually like to see 47K (and the Rogue is tube as I remember); with solid-state, one has to experiment. Listen esp. to the top end, to the dynamics, to the transient speed and low end tautness.

That said, the new ss phono that I'm reviewing at least sounds the best at 47 K with the ZYX; I've yet to try the Titan i or Air Tight.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Myles,
Thanks for replying, I am not saying it sounds bad or anything like that. In fact it sounds awesome, just thinking I may be able to sqeeeze a little more out of it; and maybe lower the noise a little more is I can!!!

Jay

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,
Thanks for replying, I am not saying it sounds bad or anything like that. In fact it sounds awesome, just thinking I may be able to sqeeeze a little more out of it; and maybe lower the noise a little more is I can!!!

Jay

Well that would begin with making sure the geometry is as good as possible including zenith, azimuth/Xtalk/phase and SRA/VTA :)

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Looking for some options for loading this cartridge with a Rogue 99 Magnum???

Jay

Dear Jay: I was unaware that exist a 1mv 20X cartridge version, I know the H/L that are 2.8/0.3 mv.

Anyway the critical subject to load a cartridge is in its internal resistance and not which kind of phono stage you are using. In theory we have to match the internal cartridge resistance with the load impedance is seeing. Normally and through my own experiences and other people experiences about that load impedance setting could be at 20-25 times the cartridge internal resistance, this is the " best " way to go and the " right " one.
The load impedance in a cartridge is a subject similar at what we find between loudspeaker an amplifier: the most critical/important subject betweem these two audio links is IMHO that the amplifier can match the loudspeaker electrical impedance curve. Btw, here we are looking for amplifiers with a low output impedance: 0.2 Ohms or lower.

If we can do that and we don't like what we hear ( every thing the same ) the " problem " is in the phono stage design, it does not matters SS or tube one.

Remember that in LOMC cartridges the load impedances changes does not affect the bass but mainly at the other side of the frequency extreme and remember too that as you go lower in load impedance the SPL goes lower too and many times the differences that we can hear on the subject comes more from the differences in SPL where we are very sensitive than because the load impedance.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Last edited:

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Dear friends: ++++++ " (for instance, if rolled off, 47 K might sound better than say with a "bright" system). The only thing that I've noticed over the years is that cartridges with tube phono/preamps usually like to see 47K " +++++++++

this quote IMHO is wrong and totally a misunderstood in the whole subject. A cartridge " likes to see " what it match/synergy its internal resistance, if loaded in this way and with the right cartridge/tonearm set up we don't like what we heard then the " problem " is the phono stage and not the load impedance.

In the other side, trying to compensate a wrong/distorted " overbright " audio link with another wrong/distorted " dull " audio link/item is absolutely wrong too.

We can't IMHO think that two wrong audio item designs can be " compensated " ( like the overbright mated with the dull one. ) to attain/achieve a good one. Both items are wrong ( the overbright and the dull. ) we have to change the one we own and in this way we correct that audio link instead to accept that wrong audio link and in addition join it with other wrong audio item: two mistakes!!! why?

IMHO matching/synergy means first than all electrical matching: loudspeaker/amps, cartridge/phono stage, phono stage/line stage, line stage/amps, etc, etc.

If we read any virtual or real/paper audio item review almost all reviewers recommend that absurd/no-sense kind of compensation/synergy. The knowledge level on that specific subject is unfortunately to low.

regards and enjoy the music,
raul.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing