c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Merging Horus -- as Plush would declare...Strong Move :D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
For My Ears Only. That's how I see it when it comes to audio. I have been a lover of audio equipment for many years. As a retired African American audio enthusiast on a fixed income I have to be frugal regarding all of my audio purchases. All of my major equipment except my Magnapan speakers, sub-woofers, audio cables, AC receptacles and phono cartridges was purchased used and love what I am hearing.

While I have been a subscriber to Absolute Sound and Stereophile for the past 20 or so years, I generally don't purchase based on their reviews unless I can later hear it and then purchase the piece used. I try to attend as many audio shows as I can and love to hear the mega-thousand-dollar stuff, I can still go home, kick off my shoes, retire to my listening room and engulf myself in my jazz or classical music.

I love reading about individuals who can afford to purchase the high priced stuff. I am sure that most are not influenced by a strong desire to have the best, while denying it may not sound the best. While I understand there are those who buy stuff based on the name, I believe most who truly love the music, will buy their system based on what it sounds like to them. My hats off to those who can afford to buy the very best.

jazzbo and music lover

+1. Absolutely perfect.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
"I kept my $24K Concert Fidelity pre and $27K Venture speakers...."
Wow, I don't feel so bad cause those two pieces you still have are more than the total I have for my two systems! Why not sell the last two and really down size.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
PLEASE, take this as a personal journey, and not as an attack. I sold some very expensive gear ($32K Burmester 911 MK3 and $18K GNSC Wadia S7i). I look at some of the SOTA prices and cringe. Not because I can't afford it (I can), but because I seriously wonder about the bang for the buck factor. I kept my $24K Concert Fidelity pre and $27K Venture speakers, but sold my amp amp and source, and went downtown and bout an Oppo 105 and an ATI amp. But, you know what? I felt a 10% decline for a 1000% savings. Do not get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the SOTA, but wallet is my new sphincter muscle. Why even start this thread? Because I see an alarming tread at CES and the new prices of gear, considering this economy. If I am wrong, sorry for your time.

Edit: This is in reference to "Ultra High End" article. Nothing more, nothing less.

I seriously doubt you actually lost 10%. Congratulations.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing