Robert Koda Takumi K-10 preamplifier test and review

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
Last edited by a moderator:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i have spoken with a few people who own this one...i have heard great things about it. I am told superbly well made, balanced, extreme detail and extreme purity of tonality in one. anyone heard this?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Matej Isak and I'd like to offer you a warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. Looks like you have a very nice system that would offer hours upon hours of listening bliss. Just FYI...I'm unsure why your signature did not show up on the first post, but it has been added.

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hello, Matej Isak and I'd like to offer you a warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. Looks like you have a very nice system that would offer hours upon hours of listening bliss. Just FYI...I'm unsure why your signature did not show up on the first post, but it has been added.

Tom

welcome also Matej

Thanks for following our TOS and putting that info in your signature line

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
This preamp looks awesome! I went thru all the review (nicely done) and the comparison to the Shindo says a lot. The volume knob is a piece of art itself! Thanks for sharing it.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
i have spoken with a few people who own this one...i have heard great things about it. I am told superbly well made, balanced, extreme detail and extreme purity of tonality in one. anyone heard this?

Hi lloydelee21. I'm having it over here for an extended time. It will be a reference preamplifier for upcoming reviews. As stated in my review, it's really something special. Feels like long forgotten art being brought again to high-end :).

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
This preamp looks awesome! I went thru all the review (nicely done) and the comparison to the Shindo says a lot. The volume knob is a piece of art itself! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks flez007. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it's different from Shindo. I'm tube guy by hearth, but K-10 "tricked" me with its natural transparency and attributes of tubes.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com

Tom

Hi Tom,

I added signature few minutes later, as I missed it in first run :). As a reviewer I'm on constant rotation of gear, but some do stay :). ANd thanks for nice-warm welcome.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi lloydelee21. I'm having it over here for an extended time. It will be a reference preamplifier for upcoming reviews. As stated in my review, it's really something special. Feels like long forgotten art being brought again to high-end :).

Great stuff...enjoy! Have you also heard the K70 Takumi amp?

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com

Yes, you described it greatly. Timbre, tonality, sense of acoustic space, refined but not to pushy as it can be on some upper echelon preamplifiers. It feels like transparency redefined. I'm around high-end for over 20 years and along Kondo and very few others (different approach) Robert Koda address my inner urge about how high-end and ultra high-end products should sound and be designed.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree with much , the nicest designs in my opinion are from the late nineties early 2000 , is the high end moving in circles ??
Its of course more or less the same technique from 40 years ago, the mike records , then it gets stored , its played /amplified then merely via a voicecoil membrane box system .
It can only be perfected to a certain level , and i think that level has been reached by more than a few.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, you described it greatly. Timbre, tonality, sense of acoustic space, refined but not to pushy as it can be on some upper echelon preamplifiers. It feels like transparency redefined. I'm around high-end for over 20 years and along Kondo and very few others (different approach) Robert Koda address my inner urge about how high-end and ultra high-end products should sound and be designed.

interesting...what other designers do you like? Tsuda (concert fidelity), Yamada (Zanden), Kondo, Others?

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
I agree with much , the nicest designs in my opinion are from the late nineties early 2000 , is the high end moving in circles ??
Its of course more or less the same technique from 40 years ago, the mike records , then it gets stored , its played /amplified then merely via a voicecoil membrane box system .
It can only be perfected to a certain level , and i think that level has been reached by more than a few.

Yep, it seems late 80's and early 90's are in revival :). Last week i listened to Voice of theatre speakers. Man.... this smokes probably more then 90 % of current offerings. We discussed with the owner, how after all those years we haven't really come far... When left Western Electrics almost 300 people were responsible for the speaker design. Now imagine having that much of staff in current times...

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
interesting...what other designers do you like? Tsuda (concert fidelity), Yamada (Zanden), Kondo, Others?

I heard Concert Fidelity briefly, but it's coming in for a review in month or two. Kondo is always great, perhaps some of the older designs, but Overture is supposed to be great also (also coming in for a review). I like Mactone, some of Burmester stuff (I know :)), Tom Evans is great, Lampizator, LessLoss stuff, etc. It often depends on the system approach. There are many ways to build a well balanced system.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi guys. My first post here:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/01/robert-koda-takumi-k-10-preamplifier.html

View attachment 7786

Hope everything about post is according to rules.

Best

Matej

Owner & writer:
Mono & Stereo ultra high-end audio magazine

www.monoandstereo.com

Hi welcome...I for one think this is one of the better forums. I read your article (thanks) the biggest issue I see is how can one demo this...it's very hard to drop this kind of money (or any money) on just a great review...any guidance here? Does the mfg offer any help for folks want to consider this preamp?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing