Jeff Rowland Capri Series 2 Preamplifier

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
This thread is to discuss the new Rowland Capri S2 preamplifier. During CES 2013, Jeff Rowland has announced and released the Capri S2 (Series 2) preamplifier, a replacement of the fabulous original Capri product. Capri S2, as well as its optional DAC card, was developed in an engineering collaboration with Danish company Holm Acoustics. I do not know too much about the new preamplifier, but I have heard that in addition to significantly enhanced internals, it features a new remote control with right/left channel balance and display dimming support.

• CAPRI S2: Stereo Preamplifier
• With DAC card: optional
• With Phono card: optional
• OVERALL GAIN: 14dB
• GAIN RANGE: 99.5 dB, 199 equal increments
• FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10 Hz - 350 kHz, -3 dB
• INPUTS: 2 pair balanced (XLR) 2 pair unbalanced (RCA) 1 pair unbalanced bypass (RCA)
• OUTPUTS: 1 pair balanced (XLR) 2 pair unbalanced (RCA)
Compatibility with PC-1 external rectifier: Yes
• PREAMPLIFIER WEIGHT: 9.5 lb / 4.26 kg
• PREAMPLIFIER DIMENSIONS: 2.6" x 13.7" x 6.2" 67mm x 350mm x 157mm
• Price: • $3950; $4400 w/DAC; $4300 w/phono

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
First of all, I don't see two pairs of unbalanced RCA outputs unless you are including the bypass outputs and I don't know how they are configured. This seems like a small, light, and limited preamp/linestage with two balanced inputs and only two unbalanced inputs. Is this a "budget" preamp from Rowland because it looks like a budget preamp.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi MEP, Capri S2 is based on a 13.7 wide chassis, also used on the original Capri M102 amp, and the new M125 amp, rather than on the wider 15.5 wide module used by Corus, Continuum, and several other JRDG products. The price point appears to be at just under $4K, up to approximately $4.5K, depending on options. The device is not a replacement for Corus, but a replacement for Rowland previous "entry level" preamplifier, the original Capri. Whether it is light or not.... I used old Capri for 18 months or so... It was compact and felt satisfyingly chunky, because it is carved from Aluminum billett... I also preferred old Capri over the much more expensive ARC Ref 3. But you are right, at 9Lbs Capri never hurt my back.

Regarding connectivity complement, S2 does not have bypass on output connectors.. Theater bypass is on the RCA input.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I was incorrect about expected release during Q2... Capri has been released at CES and appears to be available. Price is just under $4K for basic version, and just under $4.5K preconfigured with either the optional DAC card or the optional phono card.

feds27

Feb 1, 2013
http://www.taiyo-international.com/products/jrdg/capri/

Translated in Google Chrome: http://www.taiyo-international.com/products/jrdg/capri/

Capri S II

Introducing the (Capri S 2) Capri S II equipped with input transformer to Capri S very popular. We have deployed a new high performance transformer input to both channels R / L. Very useful RF, electromagnetic measures.

And at the same time protect the internal parts from vibration, sharpened a monocoque body mass hard 6061 aluminum were selected on the basis of the new protected from ingress of harmful radio waves, such as electromagnetic waves very sensitive audio circuitry. Equipped with high-precision parts in a very compact foundation, have reduced high-speed circuit itself.

Function of the preamplifier was designed to make it easy to manipulate the part to be used frequently. Provo Trillium important control is a dual rate controls, is controlled by a very high accuracy range of about 100dB. Good design can be equipped with the optional phono module course. Very fresh, with a speed and musicality, he became the preamplifier snuggle into listener.

It was fairly inefficient and expensive amplifiers until now, large, heavy, and energy waste, has captured Jeff is small, light, energy saving and amp in the near future. Steam engine that seems to have become nuclear power, computers that use a lot of the transistor is significantly faster with the invention of the integrated circuit, as we did it lighter, became the era of the benefit that is also amplifier.

large image
System that consumes energy effectively. As something very natural, it has become a good sound, and high quality work makes sense. Nature has always sought the highest degree of efficiency. Even if the flow of the river, and, even then the distribution of the plant, but also about the movement of animals, wanted the labor-saving nature of the effort. In this way, is the law of nature and efficiency. Sample was cleared of proposition antinomy reasonable price, and this performance is the Capri S II.

Jeff Ro~urando was before we both stunning performance cost and high performance. Preamplifier can be impressed, Capri S II as well as look into the mind of musician. Not only an introduction to high-end, it is a preamp that can be recommended with confidence even veteran audio file. Combination with a stereo power amplifier Model 102S is the best coupling exactly.

We are equipped with high-performance input transformer to both channels R / L of Capri S II. Very useful RF, electromagnetic measures. In addition, we succeeded in further reducing the noise level to renew the circuit board. And at the same time meet the needs of audio files that have been refined, Capri S II is is also a pre-amp for music fans who want indulged in the wonderful world of high-end audio in reasonable cost.

large image
In addition (XLR) to system 2 (RCA) 2 systems, balance, input terminal on the rear panel is also equipped we (unbalanced / RCA) bypass input valid for connections to the surround amplifier imbalance.

Adopting the heart of your audio system and a separate amplifier is the first step in order to achieve our goal of music lovers the whole system is activated, and to reproduce the excitement and enthusiasm of the performance hall. It is a pre-amp to bring to power a large listening room music brings to our hearts the joy of music more than anything, and beauty.

large image
To Capri S II is equipped with a standard remote control which is easy to operate even from a distance. In addition to the 5-channel input selector buttons, each operation bypass, volume, mute, balance, phase, and On / Off display illumination can be performed.

We offer an option module for the phono MM / MC of listening to those who love your analog disk. Are four settings are available to suit the cartridge you are using. Please contact us for more information, including how to set up, or dealer.

Specifications

Input terminal
Unbalanced (RCA) 2 systems
Balanced (XLR) 2 systems
Bypass
Unbalanced (RCA) 1 channel
Output terminal
Unbalanced (RCA) 1 channel
Balanced (XLR) 1 system
Input impedance
Unbalanced 48k?
48k? balance
THD + N
1Vrms 0.0005% output
Gain range
99.5dB (199 steps)
Gain
15dB
Power consumption
6W
Dimension
W348 × H75xD191mm (maximum dimension)
Weight
4.2kg
Bundled items
Remote control
RCA short pin
AC cable
3/2 adapter
Manual
Warranty registration form
Option
Phono module
Setting phono module
Gain = 60dB / Load = 400? (for MC cartridge only)
Gain = 60dB / Load = 100? (for MC cartridge only)
Gain = 40dB / Load = 47K? (for MM cartridge only)
Gain = 50dB / Load = 47K? (for High Output MC)
? If with Capri S II Phono, 60dB gain because they increase compared to the line input, phono input pop experience some noise when switching inputs. You'll need to perform the switching input from lowering the volume level depending on the situation.

Attachments

• remote-l.jpg
    remote-l.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 8,072
  • transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5,799

feds27

Feb 1, 2013
Hi Guido,

I forgot to add captions to the photos since you cannot see. The first photo is for the new remote. It has DIM, MUTE, VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN, PHASE, BALANCE LEFT, BALANCE RIGHT, and separate buttons for INPUT 1 to 5. The second photo is of a LUNDAHL transformer model LL1545A, which according to the Japanese website, is used in the new Capri. I thought the addition of the LUNDAHL was interesting.

feds27

Feb 1, 2013
There's one other thing I forgot to mention, it looks like they added a switch to the IEC power cord input. From the photos I can't see how the DAC will be implemented since I do not see COAX, Toslink, nor USB.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
That's fabulous Feds... I really appreciate the excellent captions!

Regarding DAC.... The DAC resides on an optional card that fits in a single option slot. The single slot accepts either the DAC card or a phono card. You can't have both DAC and phono inside Capri S2 at the same time.... Yes, I asked.

I believe that the switch on the IEC is the on/off rocker. The first production runs of the old original Capri had no on/off switch.... Later Rowland added the switch on the original Capri to conform to EU standards... And the switch has probably been carried over to S2.

Lastly, the new DAC card and the new phono card are not compatible with the original Capri... Yes, I asked... Different bus structure I suspect.

Saluti, Guido

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I have confirmation that Capri S2 is technically compatible with the external PC-1 rectifier based on active PFC. Updated header post accordingly.

G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I have confirmation that Capri S2 is technically compatible with the external PFC-based PC-1 rectifier. I updated header post accordingly.

G.

basaltguy

Sep 29, 2010
I currently own a Capri which I like very much. There are a couple of niggly things about it that seem to be rectified in the S2. There was no absolute phase switch on the remote of the original Capri. I had a JR Consonance preamp years ago with a phase button on the remote and I remember how often I used it. There are many records and CD's that are reverse phase and I can hear a striking difference at times (maybe I am sensitive to phase?). Since you really need to be in the listening position to hear the difference, the front panel phase is not ideal unless you have someone to stand there and push it while you listen. Also, display dimming buttons on the remote are nice. Direct input buttons on the remote as opposed to up down toggles are awesome and will make it much easier to use other remotes and automation. Lastly, while the remote on the original had a nice feel, the new remote looks like it will be easier to find buttons in the dark. I will be posting my Capri on Audiogon and bellying up for one of these.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Basaltguy, you will love Capri S2... I have heard it at RMAF 2013 and was extremely impressed. Musically, I found it to be quite superior to the original Capri... For one thing, while the bass of the old model was a little blanched, bass of S2 is richer and denser, with well defined harmonic structure starting at the fundamental... Treble is sweeter and has no trace of intermodulative hardness on the more complex passages.

BTW, the Capri S2 circuit is also used as the linestage section of the Continuum S2 integrated amp.

Best, Guido

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing