Wilson Alexia at CES 2013

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Can anyone update us as to how the Alexia's sounded at CES 2013? At RMAF 2012, I thought that they sounded quite good, but thought that the bass was unimpressive. Jon Valin thought so as well as I recall.They were driven by VTL Siegfried IIs. AT CES 2013, Valin seems to have conspicuously left them out any comments in his TAS review of 20K+ speakers. This seems almost unbelievable for what has got to be one of the the season's hottest speaker introductions. Is there perhaps a subtle message here somewhere? He also commented about the Alexia bass performance at RMAF 2012 as being unimpressive. This is worrisome since bass is typically a strength of Wilson speakers. Was it a VTL issue? At CES they were being demonstrated with the D'Agostino Momentum amps which should have addressed any question about bass quality as far as amplification. So, has anyone heard the Alexia's at CES this year and wish to comment?

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I didn't go to CES, but I did hear them at RMAF 2012 as you did, and I wasn't impressed with them as others who heard them there. Maybe it was the source material, maybe it was my mood, maybe it was the room, but I left yawning and ready to move on. There was nothing about them that struck me as outstanding contrary to what others including yourself thought. Maybe on a different day in a different room with different source material my opinion would flip 180 degrees.

With regards to the bass, if you are looking to maximize the bass quality, extension, and power that your speakers are capable of, you are barking up the wrong tree by using a tube amp to try and get there.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I saw a write-up about them somewhere..... anyway.

FWIW... I heard them at RMAF with my own mastering and can say it sounded just as good, if not better, than in my studio!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I heard the Alexias at RMAF as well, for some reason I liked the Sashas better at other rooms, but again, shows are not the best place to form an obective opinion on anything.

hifitommy

they should be at THE Show Newport

i am looking forward to hearing them and whether this reported problem still exists. at a show, all factors of setup may not be mitigated. brooks berdan should have them in their showroom also and i don't live that far from there. since they expanded, the biggest wilsons have shown there well with VTL electronics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing