CES 2013: Genesis Room with TechDAS Air Force One and Vertere Reference Tonearm

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, I visited *the* place to be at CES: Gary's Genesis room with the "famous" $35,000 tonearm on TechDAS Air Force One turntable: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...rtere-Reference-Tonearm&highlight=gary+35,000

Here is a shot of it:

As Gary rightly pointed out, it has a nice LED light to let you see what grove you are landing it on.

Another shot I could call artistic but in reality was me not holding the camera right! :D

Gary was kind enough to do an AB between this and the lessor second arm. I think that one cost $15K???

Let me tell you, it was night and day. Once you listened to this one, the other sounded like trash. There was no micro or macro dynamics on the other. The cheaper one was harsh as if it was digital. You could literally hear the needle drag on the sides of the grove! Go back to the $35,000 and boy, what a revelation. Angles were singing and you were transformed to somewhere with less crowds than CES! :D

Seriously guys [at the risk of stating the obvious: the above was a joke], subjectively in the demo Gary did, it did sound better. The dynamics were improved.

Gary also did a test of the turntable vacuum system for me. I was very surprised that when he let out the vacuum pressure holding the LP down on the platter, all of a sudden I started to hear a lot of background noise (typical LP noise). And here is a fascinating psychoacoustics effect Bob Stuart of Merdian fame talks about: when he put the pressure back on, I started to hear the same scratches that I had not heard the first time with the same pressure on! While the level was much lower with pressure, the noise was audibly there. Yet, not knowing about it, had made me think the first time that it was completely absent. Once we get sensitized to an artifact, we can hear it much more readily. This also throws a monkey wrench into AB tests. Clearly my first observation was inaccurate since the noise was really there but I thought it was not!

While on the topic of LP, I heard a lot of it at the show. It is clear that it can delight. I am not saying that it can delight more than digital :), but it certain has enough performance to make a person enjoy the music. As a format, it is able to overcome its performance limitations, sans the popping noises and such, quite well. As I was thinking about writing this line while listening to another sample in a different room, I asked the person what LP it was. And he told me it was digital! Oh well. I guess they are both good. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, I forgot to say that Gary's room was also one of my favorites. Sadly I forgot to take pictures of the rest of his room :(. Those speakers have incredible dynamics. Yet they don't have towering cathedral sound which I tend to dislike in larger speakers.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Don't worry, I have video :)
Boy do I have video.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great to have your opinion about Gary room. I enjoyed your opinions about the precedence effect - I have written about it in the past, not about artifacts but about the opposite - exceptionally good events!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Amir, thanks for a great write-up.

I would like to emphasize that the Graham Phantom is definitely NOT trash. Prior to hearing the Vertere, it was one of my two de-facto recommendations when my customers ask me for a tonearm recommendation depending on the turntable they were going to put it on. The other was the Roksan Artemiz.

It is a great tonearm, and I had optimized it to the best of my ability. We weren't even sure that the Vertere arm would be available for playback. Touraj was still building and tweaking it up to 5am of the morning before he had a 7:30am flight out of London. Then, when he got to Las Vegas, he discovered that his luggage had gone missing - with parts of the tonearm inside the luggage. So, until Touraj's luggage was found late Sunday night (good thing I persuaded him to fly in 2 days early!!) I was expecting to use the Graham to conduct the demos, and that was what I was optimizing the system for.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, I forgot to say that Gary's room was also one of my favorites. Sadly I forgot to take pictures of the rest of his room :(. Those speakers have incredible dynamics. Yet they don't have towering cathedral sound which I tend to dislike in larger speakers.

Thanks, Amir. That's what line-source ribbons are all about :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The phono stage used was the Burmester Ph100 with two MC inputs. This was just under the turntable.

Front end.jpg

Those of you with sharp eyes will note that the loading on the cartridges was set at 390 ohms and might ask why so low? Did you try 1k ohms?

The answer is yes - with both Magic Diamonds, 390 ohms was too low and 1k ohms was too high. I modified both inputs to 720 ohms at the 390 ohms setting.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
At the heart of the system was the Viola Crescendo. Before anyone asks, yes I did try the system without a preamp with the Burmester 089's variable output driving the power amps direct. Yes, adding the Viola Crescendo sounded better. The unit below the preamp and CD player is the motor controller and air pump of the Air Force One.

Preamp & CD.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The answer is yes - with both Magic Diamonds, 390 ohms was too low and 1k ohms was too high. I modified both inputs to 720 ohms at the 390 ohms setting.

With approval and instructions from Burmester I might add....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing