Where do you buy your music

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hi being Canadian i cannot afford to buy my music here because it is to expensive, here are my main spots for buying.

www.cduniverse.com #1 most of my music USA

www.amazon.uk #2 more and more lately England

www.cdjapan.co.jp #3 All Japanese pressings Japan

www.steveroach.com/store/ #4 All newage artists USA

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi being Canadian i cannot afford to buy my music here because it is to expensive, here are my main spots for buying.

www.cduniverse.com #1 most of my music USA

www.amazon.uk #2 more and more lately England

www.cdjapan.co.jp #3 All Japanese pressings Japan

www.steveroach.com/store/ #4 All newage artists USA

I think that's way too general of a statement to make. I have found lots of deals on Canadian sites and at B&M's.

I will say that I also buy quite a bit from the UK, even moreso than the U.S. sites. My primary purchases however are from Canadian places. :)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I think that's way too general of a statement to make. I have found lots of deals on Canadian sites and at B&M's.

I will say that I also buy quite a bit from the UK, even moreso than the U.S. sites. My primary purchases however are from Canadian places. :)

Hi John in my post i did say ( for me ) i live in the province of Quebec and the prices here are higher than anywhere else in Canada, Amazon.ca as pretty good prices BUT the choices are very limited, just one example Jacques Loussier Trio as 15 albums on Telarc Archambault music store the biggest store in Montreal sells them for $25.99 i bought them from cduniverse at $15.55 each that for me on one artist alone was a saving of more than $150.00 so yes for ME it's cheaper outside Canada.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John in my post i did say ( for me ) i live in the province of Quebec and the prices here are higher than anywhere else in Canada, Amazon.ca as pretty good prices BUT the choices are very limited, just one example Jacques Loussier Trio as 15 albums on Telarc Archambault music store the biggest store in Montreal sells them for $25.99 i bought them from cduniverse at $15.55 each that for me on one artist alone was a saving of more than $150.00 so yes for ME it's cheaper outside Canada.

I haven't bought anything in Montreal in decades...used to frequent Phantasmagoria every Saturday and walk out with a stack of vinyl. These were the pre-CD days however. I'm old(er) now. Haha! I do remember Archambault, and yes...they are expensive indeed! I think out of all of the places outside of Canada, I like Amazon UK the best. The shipping is inexpensive and pretty fast actually, and the deals can be truly amazing. I picked up the vinyl boxset of Pink Floyd-Echoes ?for $22 shipped! (It's still sealed).

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I haven't bought anything in Montreal in decades...used to frequent Phantasmagoria every Saturday and walk out with a stack of vinyl. These were the pre-CD days however. I'm old(er) now. Haha! I do remember Archambault, and yes...they are expensive indeed! I think out of all of the places outside of Canada, I like Amazon UK the best. The shipping is inexpensive and pretty fast actually, and the deals can be truly amazing. I picked up the vinyl boxset of Pink Floyd-Echoes ?for $22 shipped! (It's still sealed).

For me back then it was Sam the record man. ( I'm old(er) to.:):):)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are they both gone now John. I think I told you that I went to Med school with Sam's sons

Sadly they're both gone Steve, and yes, I remember you telling me that. Still plenty of great little shops around the city though.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Hi

I have made the turn to digital so . if a piece I am looking for is only on LP.. No problem as long as it is priced right which in my book means <$50 for a must-have, loved the music selection. On this I am looking for an EMI album. I canperfectly remember the music on it and I think it was on HP List some decades ago !!! IT has a Variation on a Theme by Bach . The transcription is By Edward Elgar: Fantasy and Fugue in C minor. Great recoding and absolutely beautiful music. Don't know if it was ever re-issued on CD

back to the thread :)

Amazon.com for new and used . These days I automatically go for the used. They are often as good as new . They are ripped the same day they arrive whether I have the time to listen or not.
Amazon. other countries :)
CDJapan.com For the usually excellent SHM CD re-issues of almost anything
eBay. Just getting some XRCD albums and frankly almost anything. Prices are of course all over the board from so cheap that it can't be true, yet it is to it makes no sense expensive for things you can acquire otherwise new in other places.
Artists websites. Some artists have taken to allow lossless downloads.
Sites that sell downoads. This REVIEW will give you some sites that are selling downloads , of course HD Tracks is in the review, another place that is coming to my repertoire of place to buy music.
Deutsche Grammophon Website
Odd places like Goodwill where surprises abound .. Anybody in Vinyl must make trips to Goodwill stores a regular occurrence.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Every time I have gone to a Goodwill store and checked out their vinyl it was all trash and should have been thrown in the trash. I think the best hope for getting good condition vinyl from Goodwill would be after some guy died and his wife schlepped his LP collection to Goodwill to get rid of it and you happened to be there right as the employees put it out and before the unwashed masses started pawing over it.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Every time I have gone to a Goodwill store and checked out their vinyl it was all trash and should have been thrown in the trash. I think the best hope for getting good condition vinyl from Goodwill would be after some guy died and his wife schlepped his LP collection to Goodwill to get rid of it and you happened to be there right as the employees put it out and before the unwashed masses started pawing over it.

You might want to try a different Goodwill store. I've had pretty good luck at the one I go to..... and if I have any LPs that I don't like, I'll donate it there too.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
+1

Also, Half Price Books.

I've found some great vinyl at the Half Price Books in Houston near Rice University. Most of it classical. My best find was a Beethoven/Karajan symphony set that looked unplayed for a few bucks.

My favorite place to buy new vinyl from is Elusive Disc. They've always taken care of me when I've received a dud pressing and all their customer service reps are friendly.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I buy a bit from Amazon vendors and ebay, sometimes from Elusive Disc. When possible, I try to stay local - recordarchive.com.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I used to buy in record stores, but that's now more of a novelty than a regular thing, unless I am in a place that has used records. (I rarely go to the trouble of buying new releases in record stores, since I only buy vinyl). My sources vary, everything from the usual suspects online in the US, to online portals for used records like discogs and musicstack, to sites like eil, which, based in the UK, often have good UK pressings of older pop (and everything I have bought from them has been impeccable, if not cheap). I also do my share of foraging at garage sales, flea markets, etc. I bought a very nice pink rim of Tea from a bum on the street in Greenwich Village for a few bucks. I also buy a fair amount from e-bay, and often, it is not uber collectible records I'm after, just early US pressings.
I've sort of put the brakes on buying new vinyl releases from Amazon, much as I admire the company's return policy, most of the new vinyl I have purchased from them has been warped. I think they don't know how to store albums.

jbmusic

Feb 28, 2013
I used to love going to Tower Records to get a few CD's but these days I can't afford them so generally I buy from Itunes online! I've realised though that I Itunes is actually more money eating as buy tunes for 99cent then another and another..then I check my bank statements :0 ha

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I source my LPs from WBF member Jadis. Quality with a capital Q. Playgrading is always spot on. For reissues or new releases it's the usual. Elusive or Acoustic Sounds.

CDs and SACD's? Anywhere and everywhere. I miss going to stores and taking my time. Back in the day that would have been Border's when in Honolulu, Virgin in Union Square, HMV in Hong Kong or Tower in Tokyo. All because they are/were very close to where I'd normally stay.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I used to love going to Tower Records to get a few CD's but these days I can't afford them so generally I buy from Itunes online! I've realised though that I Itunes is actually more money eating as buy tunes for 99cent then another and another..then I check my bank statements :0 ha

Welcome, jbmusic!
I tend to get my music from a local store, which sells new and used records, cds, cassettes, dvds and more. It takes me 10 minutes to walk there, so doubles as my weekly exercise.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I can't remember the last time I went into a store to purposely buy a CD. I either buy from Amazon, download from HD Tracks or more than likely, an impulse buy from Starbucks :)

Much of what Starbucks sells are compilations but on occasion, they do have a good selection or two (and yes, I know I pay a premium to buy there). I still have so much music I have never heard, buying new is not high on my list.

I used to LOVE going to record stores in the days of the LP looking through all of the racks. It, for me, was really part of the overall experience of being involved in this hobby: Turtles; Tower Records was my favorite; for used vinyl, Fantasy Land (in Buckhead) has been around since the late 70's and still has a HUGE selection.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing