The Genesis Dragon

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I completely agree with Lloyd's impression of the G1.1s. I'd said it before and I'll say it again... The G1.2s are, I believe, the very best loudspeakers at any price. I haven't heard them all but I'd heard quite a few mega systems over the last couple of months (WAMM, XLF, MAXX, Grand Slams, the top model Eggleston speakers) and I'd listened to the G1.1s and G2.2s quite a while back. Of these, none can hold a candle to the G1.1s. Later next month, I'll try to listen to the Mighty Dragons (G1.2s).

How much difference is there between G2.2 and 1.1?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
How much difference is there between G2.2 and 1.1?

I listened to them in different sized rooms and with very much different electronics...so, a comparison will be very difficult. If I'm pressed to comment, I'd say that the scale of presentation of the G1.1s is much bigger and extremely impressive (like what you'd described brilliantly earlier). The 2.2s, if set up properly in a suitably sized room, can sound almost as impressive. My friend who owns the 2.2s is so impressed with the 2.2s that he bought them even though his room is so much undersized (14 ft X 19 ft) and yet the speakers still performed excellently. Once you listen to the ribbons, it'll be difficult to turn back!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thf99, I'm looking forward to meeting you in Kuala Lumpur. Hopefully your friend can make it too. An owner of a pair of G201's is also coming to the event. It'll be a gathering and sharing of Genesis owners :)

It'll be great to meet up, Gary. I'll certainly try to get my friend to attend your show next weekend.

worawoot

Oct 25, 2013
Here's a nice video with detailed shots of the Genesis Dragon. It was done in the showroom of our China/Hong Kong distributor Forthwise - partnering equipment included the Viola Bravo power amplifier, Viola Crescendo preamp, CH Precision C1 & D1 transport and

What about dimension of this room...?

My new listening room is have space 20.5*34*12 feet..

It suitable for Genesis 1.2 or not...?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My IRS-V is in a room 17.5' x 34' x 10.5' and I think that is about as small as you can go. I wish my room was as wide as yours.

I sit about 22 feet from the speakers.

You should be fine.

Last edited:

worawoot

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks…GaryProtien

my choice will go to Rockport Arrakis2 if my room’s space is not enough.

but I still find the way to use room’s acoustic treatment for make my room sound wider than space limitation. prod_1p202.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Go with the Genesis. You'll never look back.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi GaryProtein and Worawoot,

I have been thinking long term about my next speaker choice, and the Rockport Arrakis and Genesis 1.2 top the list at the moment having heard the big Arrakis in HK and also heard the earlier predecessor 1.1 (completely custom modified by a former colleage of Arnie Nudell).

Our room is 17.5x34x8...I understand that the ceiling height helps in terms of cubic volume...but the ceiling itself is less of an issue with this kind of speaker.

Gary - any thoughts?

Worawoot - I would REALLY appreciate any thoughts about how you feel these 2 fantastic speakers compare. I have my own thoughts, but have not spent enough time with them to really have firm convictions. Any comments are appreciated. If I may ask, what are your electronics and will that form part of how you make the final choice?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
What you say about the ceiling height is basically true because the Genesis is a line source, and in your case it will be floor to ceiling. The Genesis 1.2 should be terrific in your room. I have heard of other people putting the IRS in rooms as small as 15 x 25, but it's really shoved in there. You will be fine. The sound stage of the Genesis will kill your present speakers. Enjoy!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What you say about the ceiling height is basically true because the Genesis is a line source, and in your case it will be floor to ceiling. The Genesis 1.2 should be terrific in your room. I have heard of other people putting the IRS in rooms as small as 15 x 25, but it's really shoved in there. You will be fine. The sound stage of the Genesis will kill your present speakers. Enjoy!

HP's room was small and the IRSs sounded terrific.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
What about dimension of this room...?

My new listening room is have space 20.5*34*12 feet..

It suitable for Genesis 1.2 or not...?

Your room is larger then the room those Dragons were in. I think that it is about 24' x 21' x 11'.

The great advantage of the Genesis (and GaryProtein's IRS) is that they are line sources.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Our room is 17.5x34x8...I understand that the ceiling height helps in terms of cubic volume...but the ceiling itself is less of an issue with this kind of speaker.

Gary - any thoughts?

Lloyd, you will have no problems with a room that size. And, as you often listen to the system off the sweet spot, the Genesis will work far better than most point-source dynamic loudspeakers.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Lloyd, you will have no problems with a room that size. And, as you often listen to the system off the sweet spot, the Genesis will work far better than most point-source dynamic loudspeakers.

With the Genesis, almost the whole room is the sweet spot!

No need to laser measure and lock your head in a vise for good sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

HP's room was small and the IRSs sounded terrific.

With the Genesis, almost the whole room is the sweet spot!

No need to laser measure and lock your head in a vise for good sound.

Trouble...trouble...;) Thanks guys...very encouraging!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you ;)

Trust me, Gary...its NEVER a trouble where great sound and great music are concerned. ;) And I must say, your Genesis 1's are something truly special. For me, they lie in that rarified realm of magic. And that's a very cool place to be...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Trust me, Gary...its NEVER a trouble where great sound and great music are concerned. ;) And I must say, your Genesis 1's are something truly special. For me, they lie in that rarified realm of magic. And that's a very cool place to be...

Magic is where you will be for the rest of your life. They are usually the last loudspeaker you will every buy - just ask GaryProtein or any owner of the IRS or Genesis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing