The Genesis Dragon

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here's a nice video with detailed shots of the Genesis Dragon. It was done in the showroom of our China/Hong Kong distributor Forthwise - partnering equipment included the Viola Bravo power amplifier, Viola Crescendo preamp, CH Precision C1 & D1 transport and DAC.

Enjoy!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
They look terrific and I am sure sound absolutely wonderful in person!

Do you have a place in NY where I can kick back and relax?

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
They look terrific and I am sure sound absolutely wonderful in person!

Do you have a place in NY where I can kick back and relax?

Unfortunately, even though the rent in Hong Kong is as high as it is in Manhattan (if not higher!), the volume of business for the ultra high-end in Hong Kong is considerably higher. I don't know of any dealer in New York with a showroom large enough, or can do enough business to take on a Dragon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats Gary. Although recording the system playing is sometimes meaningless...maybe always meaningless...it would have been fun in any event. Any chance someone's managed to do a nice recording of something playing on your system? I know on Audiogon, they used to do little audio snips of each room and it was actually very interesting to listen while you're reading comments.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Very nice, Gary.

Tom

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Can't believe they have all the cable laying all over the floor like that! :rolleyes:

Congrats.... looks great!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can't believe they have all the cable laying all over the floor like that! :rolleyes:

Congrats.... looks great!

Unfortunately, this is one dealer who doesn't believe in cables...... or who didn't believe in them. I brought my own cables for the demo, and you should have seen their faces when I swapped them out and the system took a leap up. I took the cables out when I left - except for the 7m long XLR between the preamp and power amp.

I'm still hoping to convince them that getting at least decent cables would give their demos a sonic boost.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
A dealer that doesn't believe in cables!
I guess they haven't seen the kind of margin they'd get with some cable manufacturers :)
Joking aside, it's indeed crazy they've invested so much in the room and gear, and ignore the cables...

alexandre

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guess they haven't seen the kind of margin they'd get with some cable manufacturers :)
Joking aside, it's indeed crazy they've invested so much in the room and gear, and ignore the cables...

alexandre

@Alexandre

Not crazy at all if you ask me. Refreshing.

@Gary

I have often seen you mentioning the room size for the dragons. I am a little puzzled by this. I heard the Infinty IRS V , Gen2 and Gen 1 in roms of varius size. Some I considered to be "small" for the speakers, yet they did sound from good to spectacular. I would have though that the big room at Lyric would be good enough for it ...What size you consider to be the minimum for the dragons? And why?

TIA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If they don't believe in cables ,forget about cable lifters.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Frantz, I'm reviewing again the room size. I thought that the room at CES was quite a bit too small for the G2jr's but they sounded quite spectacular.

With the Dragons, and twenty four 12-in woofers, the limitation is actually the volume of the room. 21' x 35' should be "enough". With the length of the line source, you would ideally need to sit at least 15' from the front.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

alexandre

That was my point exactly. The room plus gear cost them well over $1.3mil. Just a couple of thousand dollars in cables made it sound quite a bit better. They heard it more clearly when I removed the cables :)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
With the Dragons, and twenty four 12-in woofers, the limitation is actually the volume of the room. 21' x 35' should be "enough". With the length of the line source, you would ideally need to sit at least 15' from the front.

So, near-field listeners need not apply! :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What's to "believe"?

Tom

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Magnificent looking system. Are these speakers the version with the slightly narrower baffle on the panels? Is the midrange driver a standard BG RD75 or do they make a modded version for you? Only thing standing between me and a set of these babies is winning the lottery - I guess I'd better start playing though :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah.... before you can win the lottery you'll have to start playing.

These are have the standard baffle on the panels. Now, I've even been asked if I can make a wider baffle because the guy wants to build a larger room!!

None of our midrange drivers are standard BG midranges. BG use their ribbons as mid/tweeters from 200Hz to 20kHz. We use ours as mid/bass from 100Hz to 3200Hz. They use the same metalwork hence the confusion.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
None of our midrange drivers are standard BG midranges. BG use their ribbons as mid/tweeters from 200Hz to 20kHz. We use ours as mid/bass from 100Hz to 3200Hz. They use the same metalwork hence the confusion.

That makes sense. I use BG520i speakers for my side and rear channels, and even though they use a similar ribbon driver to my 201 fronts, they have mid bass drivers that pickup at 350 Hz if memory serves. Does that mean that the spare pair of BG Radia 48 drivers I have in my parts closet just-in-case are useless? Not that the midrange ribbons show any signs of distress yet.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That makes sense. I use BG520i speakers for my side and rear channels, and even though they use a similar ribbon driver to my 201 fronts, they have mid bass drivers that pickup at 350 Hz if memory serves. Does that mean that the spare pair of BG Radia 48 drivers I have in my parts closet just-in-case are useless? Not that the midrange ribbons show any signs of distress yet.

They aren't useless - they will still make sound. If you use them in your G201's you'll just have a big hole in the frequency response from 200Hz to 100Hz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing