New Wadia technology - I hope upgrades will be available

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Classic case of pinging posts while multi-tasking...;)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
This is of course a matter of opinion but I have to disagree myself.

Have you had the ModWright 105 with tube upgrades in your system?

Full quote:

In all of my years in audio I have and never written about any of the myriad of products that I have used. As one can imagine, I have used more products than almost any individual will see or use in his or her lifetime. As is well known, over the years I have very much favored Audio Research products and used many of them over the years. For the first time, I am compelled to write about a product that is so extraordinary it has completely allowed me in a wonderful way, to enjoy music as never before. I've always prided myself, and lucky enough, to have experienced some of the greatest and most expensive audio products ever made. Some of my own products luckily have fell into that category.

The product that I am writing about, and obviously extraordinarily crazy about is the Oppo 95/105 with the complete Modwrights vacuum tube modifications. The Oppo without the modifications is a wonderful device on its own and given class A designations in the midst of many other far more expensive players. Many people I know use the Oppo as it comes from the factory in their systems and are delighted with the results. Before sending the Oppo 95 to Modwright, I spent several weeks breaking in the device and listening carefully. I found the device to be very musical with great articulation, excellent imaging and very satisfying. Having had several Modwright player modifications in the past, I knew what a great difference they would make.

After receiving the modified Oppo with all of the important Modwright magic including the double 6sn7 vacuum tube modifications of the analog section, and also, the complete three vacuum tube power supply, I had one more thing to do which was taking Dan Wrights suggestion of using the Sophia 6sn7s and a new old stock Mullard rectifier. I then took my first listen to this device and this is where all my words will not be sufficient to really properly describe the sound that issued forth.

All of us have heard the descriptive words like resolution, articulation, huge sound field, and slam. None of these appellations can adequately describe the sound of this device. One of the ways that I would choose to describe this device over all the other DACs, players, and transports that I have heard, would be that the Modwright Oppo is the only one that really lets the emotion of the music and the players of the music really be heard in a way that is closer to the live experience than I have ever heard before. Sure, the Modwright has all of the above descriptors in spades. It has the most enveloping sound field that I've ever heard and all of the articulation and resolution that one could ask for without making the music edgy. I've heard many DACs and players that have great articulation and resolution but they seem to get it with a little more edginess in their presentation than real music ever has.

In my opinion, the best recordings of classical music has been made over the years by Reference Recordings. Now with this device,at 24/176.4 I can play their sensational H R X recordings and hear them exhibit music closer to the real thing than I have ever heard before. Also, hearing my best SACD recordings also takes the emotional quality of music to a new level.

My final remarks are very simple. If you want to hear music in all its glory I would implore you to rush out and get this Modwright Oppo,you will never be sorry.
Arnie Nudell

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Intuition 01 have been reviewed in the latest German Audio Magazine.

Total sound points 123.

Others reviewed before:
Accuphase E-450 and E-560 - 125 / 130
T+A PA 3000 HV - 135
Resolution Cantata 50 - 120
M. Fidelity AMS 35i - 125

From Audio's sister magazine Stereoplay - different points system, but 61 points is 135 in Audio, 60 is 130 and so on.

Devalet S-Premier - 60 or 130
Ayre AX-5 - 61 or 135

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
I'm not seeing much.

EDIT: Now I do.

2nd EDIT: And now I don't anymore! ...Seems to be an issue with this particular attachment.

3rd EDIT: Well, it comes and goes; good enough. :b

Deleted it, I think the attachment was too big or something.

Direct link from external server instead.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Deleted it, I think the attachment was too big or something.

Direct link from external server instead.

:b ...We both deleted two posts each. ...But I believe (100% certain) that the first picture you posted was correct (I could see it no problem).
...And when I asked "What is it?" (the internals); it was me that should have known better. And for that please forgive me.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010

Me and the ladies not impressed too, don't like the look and build quality.
Wadia uses the off the shelf standard Powersoft module. €7800 is too much, and it don't have Wifi and Ethernet.

View attachment 10784
Devialet 170 at €7000, much better build quality, looks and sound. The old D-Premier gets 130 points while Wadia gets 123.
170 sounds better than the old D-Premier according to HFN's review in the latest issue.

S/N at 100 watt is 118dB digital 20-20k Aw, at 1 watt 93dB analog and 98dB digital.

Last edited:

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
Banana (plastic?) plugs is definitely NOT a high-end solution, and the same is several other details inside the product.

Judging from the photos shown in the two reviews, is this Wadia just a mainstream product in an expensive disguise. In addition, Wadia today don't have a single U.S. built product in its product line.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I used to own a formidable GNSC781i, bought on Steve Huntleys advice a GNSC7i - really enjoyed them (except for them being a tad slow in loading), sold them and decided to stick to my extravagant and fantastically modded Bow Z8 (according Lars Moltke, it is internally what is to be - was to be ;-) - the new ZZ9)
I would NEVER buy a Wadia anymore. Sad for them but simple fact for me.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
I used to own a formidable GNSC781i, bought on Steve Huntleys advice a GNSC7i - really enjoyed them (except for them being a tad slow in loading), sold them and decided to stick to my extravagant and fantastically modded Bow Z8 (according Lars Moltke, it is internally what is to be - was to be ;-) - the new ZZ9)
I would NEVER buy a Wadia anymore. Sad for them but simple fact for me.

View attachment 17336

Bow ZZ-09

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing