What is your take on AC outlets

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
easier to understand and even observe is the mechanical advantage of the Furutech GTX-D Rhodium duplex outlet.....along with the cover plate.

your whole power grid sings along with the music resonance. inside a continuous jacketed cable inside the wall the affect is minimal. however, at any junction that resonance gets amplified and projected. and the mass of the duplex outlet and plug assembly adds force to that resonance. and the closer to your gear the greater the effect. resonance = noise.

switch from even good quality duplex outlet (Oyaide R-1) to the Furutech and there is a noticeable reduction in high frequency hash and improvement in ambient information.

when I switched from the R-1's to the GTX-D's I only did half my outlets initially, which allowed me to quickly A/B to hear the differences. not subtle!!!!

I was able to increase the gain setting on my tweeters with the Furutech since the noise was so much lower.

as i mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, just drop any duplex outlet you believe in from 18" on a solid countertop, and then drop the Furutech GTX-D. you will hear the build solidity you get for your money.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
easier to understand and even observe is the mechanical advantage of the Furutech GTX-D Rhodium duplex outlet.....along with the cover plate.

your whole power grid sings along with the music resonance. inside a continuous jacketed cable the affect is minimal. however, at any junction that resonance gets amplified and projected. and the mass of the duplex outlet and plug assembly adds force to that resonance. and the closer to your gear the greater the effect. resonance = noise.

switch from even good quality duplex outlet (Oyaide R-1) to the Furutech and there is a noticeable reduction in high frequency hash and improvement in ambient information.

when I switched from the R-1's to the GTX-D's I only did half my outlets initially, which allowed me to quickly A/B to hear the differences. not subtle!!!!

as i mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, just drop any duplex outlet you believe in from 18" on a solid countertop, and then drop the Furutech GTX-D. you will hear the build solidity you get for your money.

Mike i believe everything you say WHY because #1 it's true #2 i'm a believer BUT for non believers there is NOTHING you can do or say to change their mind for them it's all snake oil to bad for them.:)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I have 11 Furutech Rhodium gold in my system and I too am a believer. Ever tried pulling the plug out of a Furutech AC outlet. They are tightly kept in the outlet and never move one iota

Absolutely correct agree 100% by the way Steve just got banned for life on a forum for warning a member that he was using your avatar the mod did not take it well.:)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Absolutely correct agree 100% by the way Steve just got banned for life on a forum for warning a member that he was using your avatar the mod did not take it well.:)

Silly isn't it when it is all for fun

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The Furutech receptacles also won't scratch the plating off of your AC plugs. Hospital grade receptacles will often scratch the AC plug blades. This is pretty annoying.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
And if you need to improve all the way to the street to get a noticeable improvement from an upgraded outlet, wouldn't it logically follow that you need to keep going? At what point do audiophile-quality components in your power source get better performance? The outlet? The circuit? The house? The hydroelectric damn 100 miles away?

Tim

How the electricity gets generated would make the music sound different: hydro power for that clean, refreshing sound; solar makes the music warm and relaxing; nuclear is exciting and dynamic. Unfortunately, wind power results in fuzzy images and soundstage and the worst is coal-fired power plants resulting in dirty, dark sound. ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How the electricity gets generated would make the music sound different: hydro power for that clean, refreshing sound; solar makes the music warm and relaxing; nuclear is exciting and dynamic. Unfortunately, wind power results in fuzzy images and soundstage and the worst is coal-fired power plants resulting in dirty, dark sound. ;)

Great post, Gary! What are your findings about chemical power as used in batteries? ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

your whole power grid sings along with the music resonance. inside a continuous jacketed cable inside the wall the affect is minimal. however, at any junction that resonance gets amplified and projected. and the mass of the duplex outlet and plug assembly adds force to that resonance. and the closer to your gear the greater the effect. resonance = noise.

I was able to increase the gain setting on my tweeters with the Furutech since the noise was so much lower.

Thanks for the rec Mike. I just ordered 3 GTX d Rhodium's. 1 each for my amps and one for the power regenerator for the source components. $175.00 per outlet

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for the rec Mike. I just ordered 3 GTX d Rhodium's. 1 each for my amps and one for the power regenerator for the source components. $175.00 per outlet

Try 11 of them in your room as well as two MIT AC duplex outlets with noise suppression ;)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Try 11 of them in your room as well as two MIT AC duplex outlets with noise suppression ;)

Steve i figure that i have a pretty decent system BUT the cost of your cables alone are more expensive than my system so i realy think that 13 quality ac duplex outlets is pocket change for you. :)

Last edited:

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Yep... The Furutech GTX d Rhodium Duplex plugs are very special. They just replaced the two Oyaide R1's that were feeding power to my PurePower 2000 Re generators . My Re generators also have R1's A/C outlet plugs... darn. I need 5 more Furutech's GTX d .... I should have taken up knitting as a hobby.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Yep... The Furutech GTX d Rhodium Duplex plugs are very special. They just replaced the two Oyaide R1's that were feeding power to my PurePower 2000 Re generators . My Re generators also have R1's A/C outlet plugs... darn. I need 5 more Furutech's GTX d .... I should have taken up knitting as a hobby.

Audio is a man thing - Knitting is well not to macho.:)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Break in time on the Furutech GTX-d's ???

If i remember well it's been 30 years there is one BUT it's very short the first few days the sound will be a little bright at least that was the case with my Hubbell'S HBL-8200HR.

Hubbell     HBL-8200HR.JPG

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
Yesterday afternoon my furutech gtx-d (g) arrived, along with it's frame and cover plate. I installed it without too much difficulty, although the width was greater than the Hubbell it replaced, so it took a little "convincing."

I have another Hubbell adjacent, so comparison was easy and too tempting to resist even though I've read that some break-in is to be expected. I thought that I could sense a small improvement but it could have just been wishful thinking. As it occurred to me that the money might have been better spent on Stillpoints, I decided to let it cook and settle in for a while.

Three hours later, I was pleased to hear that there was unequivocal improvement all around. The entire presentation was more vivid and colorful. There was clearly more bass punch and articulation. Someone in an earlier post said that their amp seemed "supercharged". Though I wouldn't go that far (yet), I can hear what he means.

Hours later, a late night listening session only further confirmed the improvements.

As the holidays are upon us and critical listening will be unlikely, I'll weigh in with some final impressions after a few days. My system is always on, spinning the meter.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... I have another Hubbell adjacent ... As the holidays are upon us and critical listening will be unlikely, I'll weigh in with some final impressions after a few days. My system is always on, spinning the meter.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for a blind A/B test. You know the drill... :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yesterday afternoon my furutech gtx-d (g) arrived, along with it's frame and cover plate. I installed it without too much difficulty, although the width was greater than the Hubbell it replaced, so it took a little "convincing."

I have another Hubbell adjacent, so comparison was easy and too tempting to resist even though I've read that some break-in is to be expected. I thought that I could sense a small improvement but it could have just been wishful thinking. As it occurred to me that the money might have been better spent on Stillpoints, I decided to let it cook and settle in for a while.

Three hours later, I was pleased to hear that there was unequivocal improvement all around. The entire presentation was more vivid and colorful. There was clearly more bass punch and articulation. Someone in an earlier post said that their amp seemed "supercharged". Though I wouldn't go that far (yet), I can hear what he means.

Hours later, a late night listening session only further confirmed the improvements.

As the holidays are upon us and critical listening will be unlikely, I'll weigh in with some final impressions after a few days. My system is always on, spinning the meter.

IME, they will alternate between opening up and sounding good and sounding dark and constricted for a pretty long time. I'd give them several hundred hours of use before doing any critical comparisons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing