What is your take on AC outlets

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I have been reading about them the past couple of days and there is no consensus. The conversation goes from 3.00 basic outlets to outlets costing hundreds. No one can seem to agree on anything. I want to know if it is worth Investing 2-3 hundred on some Ac outlets. If not I'll just by more music and call it a day.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I don't think that you'll find consensus :) There are even 2-3 hundred $ AC outlet covers. I think that I'd enjoy $300 of music more than $300 of AC outlets or outlet covers.

However, upgrading the AC outlets to ones that grip better would improve SQ. I used the Hubbell hospital outlets with the green dot - the ones with the unplated copper terminals. I think that there's someone on this forum who would recommend another version, but I don't remember the one that was specifically recommended.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It's all cumulative. Just sticking some AC outlet in the wall with no forthought, the only advantage you'll have is maybe those audiophile powercables won't fall out. If you did what I did:

1. Have a custom made cable run from the street to an Equi=tech wall cabinet with separate runs for L/R channels and keeping analog and digital equipment off the same line.
2. Separate grounding rods into the earth and all cables behind the wall no closer than 1' running parallel
3. 10/3 audiophile UL approved in-wall cable
4. Connecting the in-wall cable to the outlet by crimping/soldering with gold spades
5. Making sure you pay attention to details

taters

Jun 6, 2012
It's all cumulative. Just sticking some AC outlet in the wall with no forthought, the only advantage you'll have is maybe those audiophile powercables won't fall out. If you did what I did:

1. Have a custom made cable run from the street to an Equi=tech wall cabinet with separate runs for L/R channels and keeping analog and digital equipment off the same line.
2. Separate grounding rods into the earth and all cables behind the wall no closer than 1' running parallel
3. 10/3 audiophile UL approved in-wall cable
4. Connecting the in-wall cable to the outlet by crimping/soldering with gold spades
5. Making sure you pay attention to details

That's a lot more than 2-3 hundred dollars.

lowpoke

May 29, 2012
Australia
You'd better not forget one of these babies: the Isoclean Zero Ohm Sub Panel (runs about $4K).
Utilizes contact parts that are are highly polished, then gold-plated to reduce resistance and increase contact area.
Solid copper bus bars and high purity copper wiring throughout.

321313_559468620739054_1330146652_n.jpg

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
You'd better not forget one of these babies: the Isoclean Zero Ohm Sub Panel (runs about $4K).
Utilizes contact parts that are are highly polished, then gold-plated to reduce resistance and increase contact area.

View attachment 7730

OK ...that's really, really impressive.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hospital grade outlets with isolated grounds are just fine.

The dot GaryiKoh mentioned signifies the isolated ground.

Last edited:

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I put in a ps audio premier, not sure I heard a difference. That being said, I have a RSA DMITRI conditioner, and I am still shocked how much better it makes everything sound. So I do believe in clean powers importance.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
upgraded my wall sockets to gold plated ones , made a postive difference to the sound UK standard fused plugs

i have seen ul nema hubbel types in rhodium , gold & platinum types

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Amado

Hi Guys,
I have the instruments to test an AC outlet.
let me make a small video so you can see the real difference
im going to use MIT Products for the comparison

Nelson

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I had the Furutechs (same as Myles'), but moved to Oyade XX. Both are substantially better than regular outlets from Hubbell.

alexandre

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
My preference remains the Hubbell specifiction grade HBL5362 customized and cryoed from JenaLabs -
http://www.jenalabs.com/ac-products/ac-parts09.html

Albert Porter also offers his PorterPort cryoed version of the Hospital Grade Hubbell HBL8300H which unlike most hospital grade outlets aren't nickel plated. I believe this is the outlet Gary was referring to.
http://www.porterhouseaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=72

I've compared the Jenas to the stock HBL5362 and various Furutechs and Oyaides (not all of the various versions) under SBT protocols, and prefer the Jenas subjectively. Obviously, YMMV

-Paul

PS - I'm not a particular fan of cryo on most cables and/or connectors, but find cryoing of AC outlets to have very positive results in minimizing 'grit' and a better defined soundstage.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

View attachment 7730

very good; likely the best panel....but not UL approved. if you have a fire your homeowners insurance could beg out of paying. it's one reason i went with the Equi=tech 10WQ panel which is UL approved.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Guys,
I have the instruments to test an AC outlet.
let me make a small video so you can see the real difference
im going to use MIT Products for the comparison

Nelson

Could you tell us what are these instruments?

AC power is one of the most grey aspects of high-end. As it is effects are not understood and mostly, non predictable, anything can go. I have no doubt that power tweaks affect sound quality, but feel unable to say if X betters Y.

Although I have three dedicated lines and a very stable mains with little distortion - the power station is about 200 meters from my house - unhappily in my system I could not find a cheap or DIY system that could outperform the expensive power system I am using.

Buying excellent high-end audiophile plugs and connectors and top quality wire and replacing all power mains with custom made cabling was just an expensive mistake - the sound of system become hard and brittle, loosing all its envelopment and rhythm.

Surely all tweaks should only be applied after you are sure you have a good ground, and decent local wiring.

Amado

Could you tell us what are these instruments?

AC power is one of the most grey aspects of high-end. As it is effects are not understood and mostly, non predictable, anything can go. I have no doubt that power tweaks affect sound quality, but feel unable to say if X betters Y.

Although I have three dedicated lines and a very stable mains with little distortion - the power station is about 200 meters from my house - unhappily in my system I could not find a cheap or DIY system that could outperform the expensive power system I am using.

Buying excellent high-end audiophile plugs and connectors and top quality wire and replacing all power mains with custom made cabling was just an expensive mistake - the sound of system become hard and brittle, loosing all its envelopment and rhythm.

Surely all tweaks should only be applied after you are sure you have a good ground, and decent local wiring.

After my demonstration you will see thats the best US$150 upgrade
One more thing, please understand that my english is not good so
no jokes of how I speak in the video ...:p

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Running separate wires from any point before the service entrance and probably before the main circuit breaker box is not permitted by code.

Separate ground rods are dangerous and not permitted by code!
Ground rods are all about safety during thunder storms and power company accidents.
Ground rods have almost nothing to do with audio quality. But in some cases grounding an audio system can worsen audio quality.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Running separate wires from any point before the service entrance and probably before the main circuit breaker box is not permitted by code.

Separate ground rods are dangerous and not permitted by code!
Ground rods are all about safety during thunder storms and power company accidents.
Ground rods have almost nothing to do with audio quality. But in some cases grounding an audio system can worsen audio quality.

This was installed by a licensed/bonded electrician and was passed by the King County Building Permit inspectors. It may not pass in YOUR county, but here it did!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing