Burmester 948-

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
After having the Burmester 948 in for a solid week, i find things are continuing to improve. I suspect this is because the Tripoint Troy SE was plugged into it last Sunday, and it takes about 2 weeks to fully stabilize...though i have to admit, that's a guess based on past week experience. All i can say is that the same album continues to improve as i play it from time to time. Great stuff. Great equipment.

Hi LL , in my experience the Troy seems to perform better plugged into an unused wall outlet , you may want to experiment . Congrats on the 948 , good snag .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL , in my experience the Troy seems to perform better plugged into an unused wall outlet , you may want to experiment . Congrats on the 948 , good snag .

Yes, i have heard this and will at some point experiment...thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
By far one of the most effective power conditioners out there. Congrats and enjoy. And it's an eye candy to boot.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Anerol

Sep 29, 2012
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
I know this thread is quite for a long time. Anyway, when I spoke to Burmester in Berlin they advised to connect power amplifiers to free wall sockets to avoid power limitations. I did and was quite pleased with the results. The elimination of DC on the grid still works this way. Result is less or no hum of the transformer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Excellent advice...thanks. I had just asked that exact question on another thread. I acquired the Torus AVR16 less than 10 days ago...but plug the Burmester 948 into it for our source/pre. Fortunately, the big Gryphon Mephisto CAN go into the Torus AVR16 according to both Torus and Gryphon manufacturers which was really helpful to get their guidance before i set it up.

I was reading about the Humbuster of old from PS Audio...thought it was an interesting idea...and then remembered the Burmester already does this. ;)

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Quite an old thread.
Nevertheless … your thoughts on the 948 compared to current competition?

Oh, and interesting to read to put power amps on wall outlets.
Cheers, Ulrich

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Ulrich,

So I have tried the Gryphon straight into the wall vs into the Torus. The Torus does provide greater refinement of transients without any blunting. Soaring crescendos have the requisite intensity peak but not a sense of artifice/screech that I do not hear when up close with live instruments.

I would not try the Gryphon (now the Robert Koda monos) into anything else we have or have tried/owned in the past. Too much current.

as for latest, I have not tried PS Audio, Furutech or Shunyata’s latest…no doubt great. After owning Burmester which was highly recommended by major industry owners with no affiliation (who still use theirs despite having heard the latest)…I had the opportunity to try Torus and found it worked auperwell and was the only thing to handle the Gryphon.

Reactions: engadin

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I know this thread is quite for a long time. Anyway, when I spoke to Burmester in Berlin they advised to connect power amplifiers to free wall sockets to avoid power limitations. I did and was quite pleased with the results. The elimination of DC on the grid still works this way. Result is less or no hum of the transformer.
This is strange to me , how parallel filter can eliminate dc-offset ?!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing