Burmester 948-

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
interested in hearing some feedback from any users- how dos it compare to other p/c out there?
what are the main attributes and usages?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Didn't realize there was not yet a 948 thread on WBF :).

It's a great unit, it serves 2 functions, DC voltage elimination (at all 8 sockets on the unit + any neighboring sockets on the same wall outlet) and as a high frequency noise filter (on the upper row of sockets on the 948 although this is customizable). It work's in parallel to the mains (it does not regenerate) so should not be current restrictive (on the non-HF filter sockets). HF filter sockets are for source components, preamps, etc.

It helped sweeten and purify the high's on my 911mk3 but have not done much testing since I have switched to the DartZ 108. Some users have reported better dynamics (macro and micro) with the power amp bypassing the 948 (but still benefiting from the DC correction), but I personally have not found this to be the case.

No comparative experience with other conditioners, I went straight for the 948 when I had hum issues with my 911mk3 (high DC in my mains - I live in an apartment building).

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Didn't realize there was not yet a 948 thread on WBF :).

It's a great unit, it serves 2 functions, DC voltage elimination (at all 8 sockets on the unit + any neighboring sockets on the same wall outlet) and as a high frequency noise filter (on the upper row of sockets on the 948 although this is customizable). It work's in parallel to the mains (it does not regenerate) so should not be current restrictive (on the non-HF filter sockets). HF filter sockets are for source components, preamps, etc.

It helped sweeten and purify the high's on my 911mk3 but have not done much testing since I have switched to the DartZ 108. Some users have reported better dynamics (macro and micro) with the power amp bypassing the 948 (but still benefiting from the DC correction), but I personally have not found this to be the case.

No comparative experience with other conditioners, I went straight for the 948 when I had hum issues with my 911mk3 (high DC in my mains - I live in an apartment building).
Thank you A/E- that's what i'm experiencing, but only with the front end , so far.the 909s go straight to their 20 amp dedicated outlets.

Last edited:

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
Ozy, this is Vincent from Taiwan. As Aidio Explorations has explained the function, so I will just express my impression about comparing 948 to other power conditioner. I have used several ones before including an older 948 model (yes, I sold the older model and buy a new one with detachable power cord), most of the power conditioners have their own sound signature, to name a few PS 300, 500, PS Premier, Hydra 8, Transparent, and Richard Gary, etc., but 948 is 2 out of there has no sound coloration, the other one is Titan.

And 948 is really system depending and depends where you listening environment is, if you live in a quite neighborhood with less outside noise, you will be able to hear more music detail through the 948 and music become liveness. If you live by the street with a lot of traffic outthere and dirty electricity supply, then probably the other power conditioner will be more suitable for you.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ozy, this is Vincent from Taiwan. As Aidio Explorations has explained the function, so I will just express my impression about comparing 948 to other power conditioner. I have used several ones before including an older 948 model (yes, I sold the older model and buy a new one with detachable power cord), most of the power conditioners have their own sound signature, to name a few PS 300, 500, PS Premier, Hydra 8, Transparent, and Richard Gary, etc., but 948 is 2 out of there has no sound coloration, the other one is Titan.

And 948 is really system depending and depends where you listening environment is, if you live in a quite neighborhood with less outside noise, you will be able to hear more music detail through the 948 and music become liveness. If you live by the street with a lot of traffic outthere and dirty electricity supply, then probably the other power conditioner will be more suitable for you.

Very nice comparisons. I own the Transparent...what kind of colorations did you notice it had? Curious to know. Thanks!

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
Very nice comparisons. I own the Transparent...what kind of colorations did you notice it had? Curious to know. Thanks!

Hi, I use several Transparent cable and PIMM 2 now so I am kind of familiar with Transparent house sound, IMHO, it is a bite dark, airy and open, the higher level you go the more power and transparency you can get, but the sound signature is about the same. Please note all the description are relative term when comparing to other brand of cable. When I use the PIMM 2, I felt like I added another Transparent cable into the system (and higher level one), since I like the Transparent sound so I keep it in the system. Try something different and you can easily find the sound signature of Transparent.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, I use several Transparent cable and PIMM 2 now so I am kind of familiar with Transparent house sound, IMHO, it is a bite dark, airy and open, the higher level you go the more power and transparency you can get, but the sound signature is about the same. Please note all the description are relative term when comparing to other brand of cable. When I use the PIMM 2, I felt like I added another Transparent cable into the system (and higher level one), since I like the Transparent sound so I keep it in the system. Try something different and you can easily find the sound signature of Transparent.

Thank you. I also like Transparent...I use their signal cables (interconnects and speaker cables)...I also use their Power Conditioner. Am I correct in reading your posts that you also like their signal cables...but prefer the Burmester 948 power conditioner more than the Transparent Power conditioner?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just come across this thread. 5 years ago I invested in the 948 (off a dedicated radial main), running everything thru it incl power amps, and found a massive impvt compared to the sound before (rig direct from the mains). Namely lower noise floor, and greater detail retrieval. But a certain smoothness/blunting of dynamics seemed to result. A year ago I switched to balanced power, eliminating the 948, and running my whole system via a Westwick 8kVA 85kg balanced power transformer. All the benefits of the 948 were retained but now w/seeming unlimited dynamics. Further enhanced w/Entreq grounding.
I was just about to sell my 948 when my hifi guy suggested I reintegrate it back in, run power components (SET amps/Zu Def4 spkr sub amps) only off the transformer, run the 948 also off the transformer, and then source components (tt psu/Straingauge cart energiser/cdp/mono pre amps/AV set up) only off the 948. Eureka! A big jump on, so much so that my expenditure on power/grounding is pretty much wrapped up.
My conclusion is to definitely consider the 948, but avoid power components thru it, the latter via the wall or a dedicated transformer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am pleased to have secured a Burmester 948 second hand...just put it in this weekend and agreed to purchase it which is now done. Fantastic power conditioner and (in my system) leagues ahead of my old Transparent Audio Power Conditioner and Nordost Thor...both of which were good. It is more natural in my system, but more importantly the noise floor is definitely lower...i play a test track (Roadhouses) where there are crickets playing way in the background...and this is the first time i can hear the crickets from listening position throughout 90% of the track, whereas normally i can hear it in the beginning and towards the end. Dynamics definitely improved, both macro and micro...and as many have noted as a 'good indication', i do find more varied playback in various tracks now vs before...for me a good sign its able to pick up on more subtle areas and deliver them so that i heard more differences (and more easily) between tracks/albums/recordings than before.

I also found that playing the opening track of Nirvana Unplugged (crowd cheering) at full tilt (which i have done with Arrakis system in HK), i am now much closer to what i heard that day in HK...which was essentially, large, life-sized audience cheering in utterly natural, effortless form. In fact, i was not expecting that dramatic a decrease in what i suppose is a form of distortion that existed in my system...and which i attributed to the Wilsons or somewhere else in the chain.

Glad to learn it was partly power related, and that the Burmester has now alleviated some of that distortion. Will continue to keep focusing on decreasing distortion before investigating any major investments (ie, speakers). All told, the cost of all the isolation, all the grounding and the 2nd hand Burmester would not even get me halfway to an Alex 2 upgrade, and the nice thing, the sound has come so far, i can only imagine what an upgrade all the way up on speakers will do some day. Am looking forward to it! And enjoying the music in the meantime.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would also like to thank several members here who provided me with private advice on the Burmester, including some industry professionals who had no affiliation to Burmester or to the many other excellent power conditioning manufacturers that are out there.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Glad to have helped out Lloyd. I'll get you onto balanced power eventually, I vow it :cool:!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Lloyd,

I thought several times of selling mine, until I took it out of my system. Everything fell flat, like something was missing. I have no plans on getting rid of something that does a superb job.

Congratulations on a great conditioner.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

I thought several times of selling mine, until I took it out of my system. Everything fell flat, like something was missing. I have no plans on getting rid of something that does a superb job.

Thanks! I have had an upgrade on power on my 'list' for a long time, and wanted to wait to get something like the Burmester 948, Isoclean, Tripoint Orion, etc. Very pleased to have found one. 'Done'. ;) Enjoy yours!

BTW, i found that plugging the preamp into the non-high frequency filtered outlets was far superior in my system...i suspect this may be because the PC for the CJ GAT is the PAD 25th Anniversary PC which has a large network box...which also means it is the only PC which did NOT work well with Entreq AC wraps (shielding against emi/rfi which work exceptionally well on the rest of my PCs). Perhaps the filters dont work together well...in any event, sound is great and more than i had even hoped, so i am now happy to leave it and get back to enjoying the music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! Thanks Wizard!! That is very thoughtful of you! Now, as a non-techie, how does this look inside to you and to others who would know?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

Hi Joe...just sent you an email on CJ GAT/Burmester 948.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe...just sent you an email on CJ GAT/Burmester 948.

Thanks Lloyd!

Yes, just saw it. Will respond soon. I am so glad you are happy. I never want to get rid of mine.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd!

Yes, just saw it. Will respond soon. I am so glad you are happy. I never want to get rid of mine.

;)! Agree!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After having the Burmester 948 in for a solid week, i find things are continuing to improve. I suspect this is because the Tripoint Troy SE was plugged into it last Sunday, and it takes about 2 weeks to fully stabilize...though i have to admit, that's a guess based on past week experience. All i can say is that the same album continues to improve as i play it from time to time. Great stuff. Great equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing