Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
most are best kept family secrets so if I told you I would have to kill you :)

:D
We are warned .. and this is now public knowledge .. Now your recipe ...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Ha! Luckily I'm not sworn to any family secrets :) I can even say that my aunt's secret to making a matzoh ball that couldn't be mistaken for a cannonball is using seltzer water instead of regular water!
Ha! My mother knew that one but her three sons rejected the light and fluffy ones that she was so proud of in favor of her traditional billiard balls.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll share mine :)

Take two cans of stewed tomatoes, separate the tomatoes and the juice. Put the tomatoes in a pyrex and broil in the oven until you see some caramelization. In the meantime.....

Grate some carrots and add to the juice along with a half a cup of a robust red wine, a bay leaf and let reduce by half. If the tomatoes and their juice is too tart adjust the acidity balance with a little bit of brown sugar.

In a saucepan, saute onions, garlic and celery in olive oil. Add a pack of lean ground beef and brown. Pour in the reduced sauce and the chopped up roasted tomatoes. Now simmer on very low heat. If the sauce gets too thick just add a bit of your pasta water. If you want a smoother less rustic sauce you can also add a bit of full cream. This is another way to help balance acidity. Season with salt and pepper and taste at every step.

Preparing the pasta. Salt the water but never add oil! The oil will coat the noodles and will keep them from absorbing the sauce. High boil, throw it in, turn of heat at al dente. They will cook some more later with the sauce.

Here's a part one must not skip for best results.

Prepare each plate individually! Have your noodles and sauce at the ready. In a small pan add some sauce put in the noodles over medium heat and give enough time for the noodles to absorb the sauce and cook some more. Place it in a pasta bowl that has been prepped by rubbing the bottom lightly with a slice of fresh garlic. Now add grated parmesan cheese preferably from a block not the pre-grated ones which always have an unpleasant texture and garnish with chopped fresh basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

As a side you can serve with crusty bread topped with a black olive tepanade

Sorry no quantities. I'm a purely eyeballer cook.

Enjoy!!!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ha! My mother knew that one but her three sons rejected the light and fluffy ones that she was so proud of in favor of her traditional billiard balls.

Light,fluffy and cannon ball for me please

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's mine and it's easy-peasy just like Jamie Oliver likes to say!

Sautee a large chopped Onion and some chopped Garlic (I use about 3/4 cloves) in EVOO and until transluscent. Add a pound of Lean Ground Beef and cook until meat is cooked through. Next, add a large tin of Diced Tomatoes, an 8oz package of sliced Mushrooms and a teaspoon of Italian Seasonings. Throw in a couple of Bay Leaves and add a good pinch of salt and ground black pepper. I also add a good pinch of Red Pepper Flakes. I usually also add a little more Basil as well (although it's part of the Italian Seasoning mix).

Bring this to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes. DONE!

John

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
I'll throw mine in the mix:

4 cans of tomato sauce
one small can tomato paste
1 white or yellow onion, chopped
1/2 a package mushrooms, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
EVOO 1/4 c
1lb ground beef
2-3 sprigs of fresh oregano, rosemary(stripped), and a small handful of sage leaves, all chopped (I have an herb garden)
1/4 to 1/2 a bottle of red wine
S&P to taste

Heat pot for the sauce and then brown the ground beef with half the herbs and EVOO, drain when done.
In the same pot add onions, mushrooms, garlic, rest of herbs and EVOO, saute till onions and mushrooms are semi-done.
Add the tomato sauce and paste, stir.
Bring to a high simmer, add wine, and S&P. Add water to desired consistency, if needed. Simmerfor one hour.

I'll also add 1/2 a dozen Roma Tomatos, diced, whenever possible.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My Italian mom makes the best and she doesn't call it sauce, she calls it gravy.

It's an all day affair with braised short ribs, meatballs, and Italian sausage simmering in it from about 8 am until dinner time.

It has taken years for my wife to get this recipe out of my mom because she's quite cryptic about it, "oh, I just throw a few things in...."

No, she doesn't just throw a few things in -- it is a very practiced recipe that my mom does unconsciously and luckily my wife finally sussed it out and can duplicate it.

All of my Italian relatives call their spaghetti sauce gravy.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks.

What brands of Tomatoes and Spaghetti sauce do you use? I find such large difference in taste between brands that it can make or break a recipe.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'll share mine :)

too tart adjust the acidity balance with a little bit of brown sugar.

Enjoy!!!!

I used to use a bit of sugar too, now I add a few carrots, works well IMHO.

The garlic with serving bowls, pasta water use are excellent tips.
Same here on the measuring, that's what I love about cooking, baking that's another matter.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have made this sauce and variations for years.

1/2 lb cut up sirloin or veal
1 onion diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cloves garlic mashed
1/2 cup beef broth
splash of red wine Chianti or Zin
1 tomato diced
1 large can Romanella pizza sauce or a large can of tomato sauce
2 small can tomato sauce
1 tsp Italian seasoning or oregano & basil
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sugar

Saute the meat with a good Italian EV olive oil in a good steel pan till almost browned,add in onion and mushrooms. Season with onion powder,garlic salt and pepper. When meat is browned ,onions carmalised ,and mushrooms soft,add in garlic. Continue cooking for several minutes on medium heat,add Italian seasoning,all the while stirring often.
Next add 1/2 cup good beef broth and red wine, let reduce for a few minutes, add diced tomatoes. after a few minutes add tomato sauce simmer on low heat for about a 1/2 hour stirring occasionally so not to burn. Then add nutmeg and sugar and reduce heat to a gentle simmer with lid on for about 2 hours. Remember to stir so as not to burn the bottom. Salt to taste if needed.

I use this sauce for pasta and ravioli or polenta ,now that's Italian.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here's mine - it's not authentic Italian because it's got more flavor than the usual. I don't cook to recipes, so I the quantities are estimates:

In a good steel, thick-bottomed frying pan:

Saute 1/2lb (250g) thin-sliced bacon cut into 1/8" strips in EVOO until the fat renders and the bacon crisps. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon crisps to plate with kitchen towel to drain the oil.

In the oil/fat - saute 3/4 large onion until caramelized. Add the final 1/4 onion, and 6 cloves of garlic smashed with the heel of your hand and half a tube of Amore Tomato Paste and stir.

Add 2lb minced beef, 3 dry bay leafs, and a couple of sprigs fresh oregano and about 10 fresh basil leaves. 1/2 cup beef broth and 1/2 cup of robust red wine, or better 1 cup wine plus 2 teaspoon "Better than Boullion Beef Base". Slow simmer and reduce a little.

Then, add 1 can diced tomatoes and one can stewed Italian (the Roma-type sour whole) tomatoes and the balance of the tube of Amore tomato paste. Slow simmer for about 40mins to reduce and integrate.

Before serving, stir in one tablespoon ghee (butter can be used, but the taste of butter might be too strong) and sprinkle the reserved bacon crisps on top.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I make a Bacon Sauce as well, and here it is:

Take 1lb of Bacon or 3/4lb ( I use 3/4 as it leaves me some for breakfast or a BLT later on), and cut it into 1" pieces. Fry this in a seperate pan until done, BUT NOT overly crisp.....you want some fat. Drain and set aside.

Next, do your usual onion and garlic saute and add a 8oz of diced/sliced mushrooms ( I use brown or bella). Pour in a can of diced tomatoes and add spices. Everyone has their own preference, but mine tends to include additonal basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Easy on the salt though....remember that bacon is gonna be added.

Once this has simmered enough, add your bacon and then a can of drained PEAS. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes or so (maybe 10) and you're done. I've also done this with a can of drained mixed beans and a half/half beans/peas combo.

My personal preference is to serve this with a short pasta in a bowl and eaten with a spoon.

fishnchips

Banned
May 8, 2011
Not a recipe, but a few hints:
1. Tiny shallots are better than big onions, but a lot more fuss to prepare.
2. Do not sautee onions and garlic together: garlic will burn quickly and onions will still be undone. Add garlic at t-30 seconds.
3. Sautee mushrooms over high heat. If they get to release their juices it's a fail, they have been steamboiled instead. They are done when they start hoarding the hot oil from their vicinity. In a short while they will start re-releasing it into the pan: don't let them.
4. Use some (very little if need be) regular butter with your cooking oil. Use it as a simple temperature indicator. Butter froths first. Once the froth starts subsiding, it is the perfect temperature to start doing things: the proverbial "hot but not smoking oil".
5. When using tomato, add a pinch of sugar for each fruit or its equivalent. Brown sugar is even better in some recipes, but not all. Use your instinct.
6. Try to grow your own oregano, mint, thyme, basil, or parsley at home, in a small pot or three. Unless used raw on purpose, fresh-cut herbs are best if blanched first. If aromatic herbs wilt and start dying before they are used, cut them and bury them in the soil in the same pot (the same is true of fragrant flowers). At regular intervals, sun-dry some and seal airtight (keeps forever).
7. Olive oil quality pointers include:
"Extra Virgin" designation de rigueur
Acidity: the closer to zero, the better (read label)
Color: the greener, the better
Origin: Greek best, Italian and Spanish highly variable but roughly equal to each other.
8. Hard liquor: can be used to bring sauce temp down to simmer, instead of wine, depending on recipe: whisky for smoky flavors, gin for conifer resin, sambuca, pastis or ouzo for anise/tarragon, etc.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I take red sauce as an improvisational thing, myself, but always start with the basics: Saute finely diced onions and garlic in olive oil and a splash of robust red wine, add quality crushed and/or diced tomatoes, depending on how much you like your "visible solids," be generous with the oregano and basil (fresh if you've got 'em), salt and pepper to taste, cover and let simmer for as long as you've got. There are, of course, lots of other things you can do with it. I'm not personally big on the celery/carrots thing, and I think there's enough sugar in the world without putting it in my red sauce, but sausage, bacon (in small quantities for flavor only), wine, balsamic vinegar....I've used all of the above with success. Love your garlic? Try roasting a head, smashing the cloves on a cutting board with your knife, sprinkling on a bit of coarse salt and then grinding it into a pulp with the flat of your chef's knife. You've just released a ton of flavor. Now blend that into your sauce.

Red sauce is fun.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Digging up a 4-year old thread.....LOL!

Beef/Veal/Pork meat sauce. Lots and lots of mushrooms, onions & garlic of course, red, yellow, orange bell peppers and green peas (mostly for colour).
Salt, pepper, Italian Seasonings, more basil & some oregano, couple of bay leaves and a good amount of red pepper flakes.
Cooked for about 3 hours when the pic was taken. Liquid further reduced after another hour and it was perfect.

Two bottles of Peller Estates Merlot (inexpensive but quite nice) and some garlic bread. We all enjoyed it immensely!:D

IMG_0371.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing