My Tape Head Pre Amp Is Almost Complete But ......

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area

Good evening all,

The very fine tech who is designing and building my tape head pre amp is almost finished. It has taken so long (since October 2012) because he now has to test various caps and resistors. I am pleased with all of the responses regarding my post re: moderately priced capacitors, but have a different question now. What part of the circuit should the very best caps be placed? In other words, is there a critical part of the circuit where I need to advise him to put the high end caps that will produce the best sound?

I've already made known that this is a tube tape pre amp with separate power supply and pre amp using a cable to attached one to the other. So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as are all of your responses and suggestions. I love all feedback. Thanks much.

jazzbo bob

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Good evening all,

The very fine tech who is designing and building my tape head pre amp is almost finished. It has taken so long (since October 2012) because he now has to test various caps and resistors. I am pleased with all of the responses regarding my post re: moderately priced capacitors, but have a different question now. What part of the circuit should the very best caps be placed? In other words, is there a critical part of the circuit where I need to advise him to put the high end caps that will produce the best sound?

I've already made known that this is a tube tape pre amp with separate power supply and pre amp using a cable to attached one to the other. So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as are all of your responses and suggestions. I love all feedback. Thanks much.

jazzbo bob

Output coupling caps. If money is an consideration, you might want to consider bypassing some of the power supply caps.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Output coupling caps. If money is an consideration, you might want to consider bypassing some of the power supply caps.

definitely agree

can you share some info as to who is building your tape preamp. TBH I consider your wait to design and build and test something like this to be very short. I waited almost a year for mine

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Gentlemen,

I don't have any photos to share presently. I have seen the underside of the pre amp can see that it's point to point wiring which I wanted. However, he continues to experiment with caps and resistors. It has certainly been a while since he's had my Tascam tape deck and pre amp. I figured I would pick up everything at one time. Once he completes the pre amp he then must see how it sounds with my tape deck. I will keep you posted on his progress. We have a pickup date of February 27th. However, I've let him know that if he needs more time he can have it. I am excited but don't want to rush him as I am aware that developing an audio component is an art form. Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't seen "it". "It" is vaporware as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry Bruce, I thought, if we're talking about the same unit, that you had received it :(

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) Good evening to you Jason,

I just got an email from the tech. He notes he is about 80% complete. He had to so some major revisions due to hum and hiss problems. He also wants to revise the power supply. I've got to tell you, it's been a long haul for me on this but I don't think it will be much longer I hope. Once it's completed I promised to send it out to Ki Choi who has enough tape decks to put it through it's paces and give me some feedback. I do plan to take a photo before I send it out to Ki. That way I can post it here.

The reason the tech is long winded on this project has to do with the fact that he does high end audio repairs during the week. He generally work on my pre amp on Sat evenings and Sundays. Thanks for asking. I plan to be back here with the good word as soon as the tech calls me to pick up the unit. I can hardly wait Jason. By the way, I clicked on "Homebuilt HiFi" and found great stuff. I was very pleased with what I saw there. You and yours have a great weekend sir.

jazzbo

Last edited:

lowpoke

May 29, 2012
Australia
Thanks for the quick reply jazzbo. The wait must be killing you, I know what I'm like waiting to play with new toys ;)
Am looking forward to the next update from you then!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing