BMC MCCI Phonostage

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
If anyone has the opportunity to audition this innovative phono stage, I highly recommend it. By innovative, I'm referring to its use of current injection, which eliminates compatibility issues associated with impedance loading. This unit replaced my Herron VTPH-2. . .the improvement in SQ is significant: clarity, tonality, spatial presentation, etc. Plus, being solid state, I leave it powered continually so it's always ready to play. The only potential "negative" is that it only accepts balanced inputs. No big deal, as I had my tonearm re-terminated accordingly.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Interesting piece; what's the price?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have the one from Fremer... I'll have it in the system next week.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I've been tire kicking a new phono stage for some time. Two members of the Philadelphia audio group brought it over to compare to my ASR Basis Exclusiv (2008 model). Its very "fast and clean". Perhaps a bit clinical with my A90 and all solid state gear. BTW, I run all balanced so in that context the BMC was a good potential match.

While I can't say I had it in the system for an extended period of time, we unanimously agreed the ASR smoked it. Funny enough, I had asked to listen to the BMC and in the end its owner was more interested in buying an ASR. Its very well constructed and a great value for the money but thats about it. I think MF went a bit over the top with it but then again he spent a good deal of time with it so maybe it needed to live with me longer to appreciate its virtues. If I was looking for a phono pre in this price range its a no-brainer.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
If anyone has the opportunity to audition this innovative phono stage, I highly recommend it. By innovative, I'm referring to its use of current injection, which eliminates compatibility issues associated with impedance loading. This unit replaced my Herron VTPH-2. . .the improvement in SQ is significant: clarity, tonality, spatial presentation, etc. Plus, being solid state, I leave it powered continually so it's always ready to play. The only potential "negative" is that it only accepts balanced inputs. No big deal, as I had my tonearm re-terminated accordingly.

I agree, that is why we carry it. It is very critical that it goes through thorough break in. Also, leaving it on really helps it sound much better. It takes almost two days to come back to life after it has been off. I think it is a steal at it's price.

Plink

May 19, 2013
How is this technology any different from the technology used in the products from AQVOX and Dynavector?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just resurrecting this old thread for the BMC MCCI Signature ULN Phono Stage.

Does anybody have the BMC MCCI Signature ULN and if so, are you happy with it (with using low impedance and high output gains cartridges i.e. the My Sonic Lab cartridges etc. for instance) and have you compared it to other Phono Stages, particularly other transimpedance input / current input phono stages i.e. the Channel D Lino C3.3 and or the Seta L, the CH Precision C1 and the Van Den Hul The Grail (in it's various model range i.e. standard, SE or SB) ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just resurrecting this old thread for the BMC MCCI Signature ULN Phono Stage.

Does anybody have the BMC MCCI Signature ULN and if so, are you happy with it (with using low impedance and high output gains cartridges i.e. the My Sonic Lab cartridges etc. for instance) and have you compared it to other Phono Stages, particularly other transimpedance input / current input phono stages i.e. the Channel D Lino C3.3 and or the Seta L, the CH Precision C1 and the Van Den Hul The Grail (in it's various model range i.e. standard, SE or SB) ?
Bump.
Anybody ?

ledoux1238

Jan 4, 2021
Taipei
@Bonesy Jonesy
There are a few recent threads over at Audiogon on current mode e.g. BMC MCCI, Channel D, ...etc. vs voltage mode, as well as various current mode preamps compare.

I have a Channel D Lino 2.2 and will be upgrading to 3.3 next year. Rob Robinson of Channel D has another upgarde that does not appear on his web-site. He has found a way to implement a scaled down version of his TOTL phono Seta L 20 into a Lino C. That would put the lino C over the BMC, I believe.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
@Bonesy Jonesy
There are a few recent threads over at Audiogon on current mode e.g. BMC MCCI, Channel D, ...etc. vs voltage mode, as well as various current mode preamps compare.

I have a Channel D Lino 2.2 and will be upgrading to 3.3 next year. Rob Robinson of Channel D has another upgarde that does not appear on his web-site. He has found a way to implement a scaled down version of his TOTL phono Seta L 20 into a Lino C. That would put the lino C over the BMC, I believe.
Thank you for the info and your posting 'ledoux1238'. Much appreciated.

I recently (approx. 3+ weeks ago) bought a used one owner 2019 CH Precision P1.
Sounds great from my MSL Eminent EX cartridge connected into the MC1 current input of the P1 and linked via RCA output of the P1 to my Hifiman EF1000 & Susvara headphone rig.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing