VAC Statement Phono Stage

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I really like the four inputs, especially the balanced option.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wow 50k

Luv the 4 inputs, each with separate ground terminals.

Not so sure why mm gain is 52db - a bit high, there should also be 45db gain. The loading choices are weird as well.

Does this phono use active gain or sut's for the mc gain?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guess it makes perfect sense to have a $50K phono stage to go with your $35K tonearm.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I know it's expensive. and who knows what it sounds like, but by God Almighty that is beautiful to look at!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Thanks Wizard.

Definitely SUT's used for the medium and high gain.

This is a single phono stage with a selector switch for the 4 inputs. You will need to potentially change the impedance settings each time you change turntable/tonearm. That is one of the pains of the excellent sounding Pass xp-25 as well as my Thoress/TW phono stage

The better option is for separate phono inputs that can be customized for each cartridge. Like Burmester, Boulder, ARC, Esoteric, Brinkman to name a few.

With the controversy over the $35k tonearm I cannot possible see where $50k has gone into a single phono stage with a input selector.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I know it's expensive. and who knows what it sounds like, but by God Almighty that is beautiful to look at!

To me, this is a better value than a uber expensive tonearm as long as it sounds spectacular. I think a phono stage is more important than the tonearm and cart within reason when it comes to ultimate fidelity Extracted from the groove.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
it's hard to quibble about a product without hearing it first. and i applaud the effort to move the state of the art of phono stages forward. i think very highly of all the VAC gear i've heard for sure.

but i agree about the input switch. it cannot make it sound better, and likely has some sonic cost. when you are dealing with less than .2mv signals there are no places to hide.

i can see it in a 'around $10k phono stage' like the Allnic H3000 i had. sounded great, very flexible. but ultimiately it was somewhat compromised by being so flexible. i did enjoy being able to have 4 tonearms and cartridges all 'at hand'.

for $50k my priority would be pure teleportation. maybe it can do it.

Hi Mike, I did not comment on its sound, as I have not heard it. I am sure it sounds superb, just struggling to find 50k's worth, whereas there has been 20 pages on the pricing of a 35k tonearm.
I hope the transformers have plenty of Silver as that goes some way to justifying expensive phono's like Ypsilon or Kondo.

Cheers

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Last I knew, VAC used Sowter transformers for MC cartridges and they don't contain any silver wire to my knowledge. I had my Counterpoint SA-5.1 modified by Mike Elliott with Sowter 8055 transformers and I hated them. I sent the preamp back to Mike and had him remove them. Even though the Counterpoint SA-2 pre-preamp had more noise, it was 1000x better sounding to my ears than the Sowter transformers.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Last I knew, VAC used Sowter transformers for MC cartridges and they don't contain any silver wire to my knowledge. I had my Counterpoint SA-5.1 modified by Mike Elliott with Sowter 8055 transformers and I hated them. I sent the preamp back to Mike and had him remove them. Even though the Counterpoint SA-2 pre-preamp had more noise, it was 1000x better sounding to my ears than the Sowter transformers.

If that is still the case, pricing even more hmmm.:rolleyes:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I know my buddy Frantz will comment on MSRP but I must say that Kevin sure knows how to make eye candy as well as very good gear

:D

No doubt the inside is eye candy but .. Come one people!! To paraphrase Jeff Fritz: " Madness"

I mean really.. Of course it extracts so much more from the groove of any LP ... etc .. Couple that with a 150 K TT plus a $15,000 Cartridge mounted on a $35,000 Arm on a $15,000 Isolation device connected by 10,000 K of IC and you have
$275,000 Just for the LP section ... :rolleyes:

Am I the only person to find this ludicrous?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It looks beautiful. Is it worth $50K? Only the people who buy it can answer that question. He appears to be using naked Vishay resistors which are expensive (in small quantities they cost around $7 each the last time I bought a batch of them compared to a 50 cent metal film resistor). However, I see lots of dirt cheap electrolytic caps inside as well.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It looks beautiful. Is it worth $50K? Only the people who buy it can answer that question. He appears to be using naked Vishay resistors which are expensive (in small quantities they cost around $7 each the last time I bought a batch of them compared to a 50 cent metal film resistor). However, I see lots of dirt cheap electrolytic caps inside as well.

Of course it's the engineering that counts, not necessarily if each resistor, cap is the best/most expensive. The sum total for any statement product's parts is a fraction of the msrp set by the manufacturer anyway.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Of course it's the engineering that counts, not necessarily if each resistor, cap is the best/most expensive. The sum total for any statement product's parts is a fraction of the msrp set by the manufacturer anyway.

You are correct Christian. I have said before on numerous occasions that I would much rather have a component with a superior design that was built with cheap parts than a bogus design that used boutique mega-expensive parts. The better designed circuit will always sound better. Boutique parts are the icing on the cake, but you still need a cake.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If there is a justification for the price, it was provided to the manufacturers by some posts. Is this Phono Stage superior to anything else costing much less? Such questions need to be asked... The answers/comparison do advance the SOTA wherever it is at this point in time. What doesn't is blind acceptance of price as an indication of superiority. If a person feels no need to ask and just is able and willing to acquire any gear whatever the asking price, more power to her/him and his/her bank account. For the vast majority of audiophiles those are becoming increasingly pertinent questions with the ever increasing prices for dubious to vacuous increments in performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing