World Debut: Vertere Reference Tonearm

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
He was going to market it for $3000, but was told it would not sell in the Asian hi end stores for less than $35K.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Sigh... Just one of things I am going to miss from this year's CES. I was all set to go to Vegas when my plane decided to leave the apron while taxiiing to the runway. I had to cancel my trip. :-(

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
they had leaf springs on old cars.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring

i would assume there is some sort of pivot point and a hanging mass to spring off it.

Good guess, I didn't make the connection to the leaf spring; it sounds like for this to be effective for the application it would probably have to be a very thin leaf, but then does this mean the arm can bounce up and down at the pivot point? I am still trying to establish credibility here and figure out there this $35K is coming from.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Good guess, I didn't make the connection to the leaf spring; it sounds like for this to be effective for the application it would probably have to be a very thin leaf, but then does this mean the arm can bounce up and down at the pivot point? I am still trying to establish credibility here and figure out there this $35K is coming from.

to me the big question is how it compares with the Graham, a relatively known quantity.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
We have recently seen arms hit the $15K mark and I didn't see a lot of people blinking an eye about it. In fact several people on this forum own one of the $15K arms. If you are in the business of making tonearms and you are trying to appeal to the upper end of the market, why not $30K? We already have cartridges that cost over $15K.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
We have recently seen arms hit the $15K mark and I didn't see a lot of people blinking an eye about it. In fact several people on this forum own one of the $15K arms. If you are in the business of making tonearms and you are trying to appeal to the upper end of the market, why not $30K? We already have cartridges that cost over $15K.

Probably because there is no logical reason to pay that much for an arm or cartridge. Hopefully the manufactures that make good gear at reasonable prices don't raise their prices as well. From a business stand point if there is a market for it then it makes good business sense. From a consumer stand point it is screwed.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Probably because there is no logical reason to pay that much for an arm or cartridge. Hopefully the manufactures that make good gear at reasonable prices don't raise their prices as well. From a business stand point if there is a market for it then it makes good business sense. From a consumer stand point it is screwed.

There's no reason to pay any of the outrageous prices many of the members here have paid for their systems by that logic. It doesn't matter if it's a tonearm or an amp or a speaker.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't want you to think for one second that I endorse the idea of a $30K arm because frankly, I don't. I think it is ridiculous and way over the top to price a damn tonearm at $30K. However, when you have people who will drop over $100K for wires in their system (PCs, ICs, and speaker cables not to mention power conditioners), I just don't see it as a big stretch that we would have a $30K arm. It doesn't mean it sounds any better than SME's best effort or Graham, or pick your favorite arm designer; it just means it cost $30K. For that reason alone, some will want it-trust me.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm not sure what a $30k tone arm would look like but one thing is for sure - it wouldn't look like this. From the photos it has a little bit of a homemade "mad scientist tinkering away in the basement" look to it. I'm sure someone will fork over the money for it...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I don't want you to think for one second that I endorse the idea of a $30K arm because frankly, I don't. I think it is ridiculous and way over the top to price a damn tonearm at $30K. However, when you have people who will drop over $100K for wires in their system (PCs, ICs, and speaker cables not to mention power conditioners), I just don't see it as a big stretch that we would have a $30K arm. It doesn't mean it sounds any better than SME's best effort or Graham, or pick your favorite arm designer; it just means it cost $30K. For that reason alone, some will want it-trust me.

Understood. Hard to say much more without hearing the Vertere in person. Personally it would have to be a dramatic improvement sound wise over every other tonearm for me to ever consider it. If I had tons of disposable cash I might feel differently.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
There's no reason to pay any of the outrageous prices many of the members here have paid for their systems by that logic. It doesn't matter if it's a tonearm or an amp or a speaker.

It depends on whether the sound you get is worth the money you spent to you. If the pleasure you get is worth it then that's all that matters.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is curious that 5 days ago we had more information about this arm than in the whole speculative thread of today about value,
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8895-Genesis-10th-Anniversary-Show-International-CES-2013&p=162792&viewfull=1#post162792 including a wise comment from Gary, one of the key persons to add some value to this thread.

But is seems WBF people were sleeping, or may be still anesthetized by the $85.000 TechDAS turntable ...

Disclaimer : I still have an original 20 year old Roksan Xerxes in rosewood finish:)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It is curious that 5 days ago we had more information about this arm than in the whole speculative thread of today about value,
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8895-Genesis-10th-Anniversary-Show-International-CES-2013&p=162792&viewfull=1#post162792 including a wise comment from Gary, one of the key persons to add some value to this thread.

But is seems WBF people were sleeping, or may be still anesthetized by the $85.000 TechDAS turntable ...

Disclaimer : I still have an original 20 year old Roksan Xerxes in rosewood finish:)

The only one that can add any value to this post is Gary. Unless someone else out there has one? I'm sure he will chime in when he gets some time.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice! My piano lacquer original Xerxes is long gone...

Yes, although the Forsell polished black acrylic looks nice, the piano lacquer was more distinct. ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Understood. Hard to say much more without hearing the Vertere in person. Personally it would have to be a dramatic improvement sound wise over every other tonearm for me to ever consider it. If I had tons of disposable cash I might feel differently.

It's over 1/3 of the cost of a TechDAS with a Graham Elite arm included. I wish the best of luck to this company achieving it's sales objective.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Wow Gary a $35K tone arm

Have you heard it

Where is made

Will you have yours for CES

Wow! After reading 4 pages of this thread, all I can say is that you'll have to come and listen.

If you saw this on WBF and will admit it - I'll even compare the two tonearms. They have almost identical cartridges (both my custom ones) and both go into the Burmester Ph100.

I also asked Touraj how a tonearm can cost $35k, but after listening to it and him explaining the technology that has gone in, I believe him when he says that it can't be made any cheaper.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing