World Debut: Vertere Reference Tonearm

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
These are the first pictures ever released of the new $35,000 Vertere Reference Tonearm. WBF gets a world's first. Here it is mounted on the fabulous TechDAS Air Force One.

Vertere Reference Tonearm.jpg

I don't know if it's the first, neither does the designer as we have not seen every tonearm in history, but it's got a couple of unique features. First, it has different length vertically and horizontally, and hence effective mass in the horizontal plane is different from the effective mass vertically. Secondly, it doesn't use ball bearings/ball-races in the major pivot. It uses a leaf bearing.

Dual-mode bearing.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
and what's a leaf bearing?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
hmmm, what else would justify $35K for aluminum and steel? Tough crowd we are...

Hi

Where will this stop? Really? Where? Then again $35,000 for a tonearm is not that much if you consider that there is a TT out there that would cost $650,000
Where does it end? Do we really think this can go on for a long time? Do we really? Of course everybody will say that it sounds good ... Better than all the other arms ... Progress? new Paradigm? I will stop there terms that I usually don;t use are the only ones that keep on coming to mind .. Out but lurking.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We should wait it out and see first what technology is exactly behind this arm. But in general, you know it's not going to end.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
We should wait it out and see first what technology is exactly behind this arm. But in general, you know it's not going to end.

Truly Ack It won't end. What technology can be behind a pivoting arm? I mean how many more ways? What is ending slowly is truly innovative products that truly advance the state of music reproduction, The end of truly innovative products that help us enjoy more music rather than pulling more money out of our pockets. We placidly cough more and more money meanwhile...

Then again in a world of speaker Cables for $50,000 why not?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Where does it end? Do we really think this can go on for a long time? Do we really? (...)

Frantz,

We survived the Mayan calendar end. Why should not we survive a $35.0000 tonearm? ;)
Besides there is still hope - maybe that the Graham Engineering Phantom II Supreme 12" Tonearm $6,000 will sound better!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Then again in a world of speaker Cables for $50,000 why not?

hahaha I knew someone would say that, and I was carefully avoiding it... no argument from me here, you know how vocal I am exactly about that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We should wait it out and see first what technology is exactly behind this arm.(...)

Ack,

Do you know the Vertere Etos is a well known sentence of the French aviator and writer Antoine de Saint Exupery "Perfection is not when there is no more to add, but no more to take away"? It seems we should not ask only what is the technology, but what did he take away from a tonearm that was disturbing our perception of music. I will wait for Gary and others opinions - it is one of the reasons I read WBF.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
saw this at 4am and I thought I was still dreaming when I read the price... one thing came to mind - it probably weight more or used more material than a Patek Philippe super-complication :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Regarding the price of this arm; it would seem clear that someone figured out that there are a few people who will happily pay $35K for this product. I would love to know how they did that ( came up with $35K) vs. a number that, shall we say, is substantially higher...like $350K or more. I presume $35K is palatable to this manufacturer's known customer base and $350K is not. ( or maybe they do have a market for a $350K arm....just not willing to take the chance to see, LOL:D)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think I would rather have a Graham for a fraction of the price. Why don't these tonearm manufacturer's get with the program and incorporate a VTA bubble level like Graham ? Without a level, your VTA is never spot on record after record....imho.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Can't we have this boring price discussion in another thread and keep this thread to discuss about the Vertere tonearm?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Gary, What is the effective length and mass? Looks like the azimuth may be adjustable where the arm tube meets the base. Is that the case? From your pictures I can't tell exactly how VTA is adjusted. I assume it's not on the fly?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing