Prestige Mono Reissue LP Re-issues (Analogue Productions/Quality Record Pressings)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I just received the first batch of this reissue series which costs $30 each. Much like original Blue Note pressings, originals are 'unobtainium' unless you've got $1000+ burning a hole in your pocket for each title...

First of all the packaging is spectacular. I've been critical of AP's packaging in the past; most notably their Blue Note 45 rpm series pales when compared to Music Matters. But this time they've hit it out of the park. Beautifully reproduced covers printed on thick matte with nice QRP inner sleeves. The vinyl is 200 gm at 33 1/3 and impeccably pressed with deep groove labels.

So how do they sound? As the insert notes, Bob Weinstock, the owner of Prestige was infamous for his parsimony and wouldn't pay for the musician's to practice. (Leading to the old joke "Question: What's difference between a Prestige and Blue Note Date? Answer: "Three days of paid practice".) Some would argue that the result were looser, more spontaneous performances; however, it has been my experience that this culture also resulted in a lessor recording quality of Prestige dates when compared to Blue Notes and Contemporary records.

I play these with a Miyajima Utopia BE mono cartridge on a Durand Talea tonearm into a dedicated mono phono input...

I will definitely purchase more of these in the future. Considering that some used OJC reissues sell for similar prices on Ebay, I consider these a real bargain.

Tommy Flanagan "Overseas"
This is an absolute A+ performance. Spectacular mono sound. Run don't walk. A must have!

Elmo Hope "Informal Jazz"
Later reissued under Coltrane's or Mobley's (or both "Two Tenors") names. My first Elmo Hope LP. B+ for performance and sonics.

Hank Mobley "Mobley's Message"
Performance A-/Sound B/B+

Red Garland "All Mornin' Long"
Performance A-/Sound B+...Art Taylor's drumming is very well recorded. Unfortunately, this recording is an example of RVG's reputation for recording piano...

PS - Anyone have interest in dedicated reissue threads/reviews, i.e. a Music Matters, etc???

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just received the first batch of this reissue series which costs $30 each. Much like original Blue Note pressings, originals are 'unobtainium' unless you've got $1000+ burning a hole in your pocket for each title...

First of all the packaging is spectacular. I've been critical of AP's packaging in the past; most notably their Blue Note 45 rpm series pales when compared to Music Matters. But this time they've hit it out of the park. Beautifully reproduced covers printed on thick matte with nice QRP inner sleeves. The vinyl is 200 gm at 33 1/3 and impeccably pressed with deep groove labels.

So how do they sound? As the insert notes, Bob Weinstock, the owner of Prestige was infamous for his parsimony and wouldn't pay for the musician's to practice. (Leading to the old joke "Question: What's difference between a Prestige and Blue Note Date? Answer: "Three days of paid practice".) Some would argue that the result was were looser, more spontaneous performances; however, it has been my experience that this culture also resulted in a lessor recording quality of Prestige dates when compared to Blue Notes and Contemporary records.

I play these with a Miyajima Utopia BE mono cartridge on a Durand Talea tonearm into a dedicated mono phono input...

I will definitely purchase more of these in the future. Considering that some used OJC reissues sell for similar prices on Ebay, I consider these a real bargain.

Tommy Flanagan "Overseas"
This is an absolute A+ performance. Spectacular mono sound. Run don't walk. A must have!

Elmo Hope "Informal Jazz"
Later reissued under Coltrane's or Mobley's (or both "Two Tenors") names. My first Elmo Hope LP. B+ for performance and sonics.

Hank Mobley "Mobley's Message"
Performance A-/Sound B/B+

Red Garland "All Mornin' Long"
Performance A-/Sound B+...Art Taylor's drumming is very well recorded. Unfortunately, this recording is an example of RVG's reputation for recording piano...

PS - Anyone have interest in dedicated reissue threads/reviews, i.e. a Music Matters, etc???

Doc, when were the Prestiges reissued previously? I have copies, some of which I think are still sealed, that I probably picked up in the 80's or early 90's? They seemed like thin vinyl and not very expensive packaging- pretty similar to what I remember from the Fantasy reissues.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I am. I find your reviews/recommendations highly useful in making selections of music I want to buy.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
that's dem. Thanks. I have a few of those, know nothing about how they were mastered, and haven't really listened to them. And, I agree with MEP, you've been invaluable as a guide- i know some of the 'big' jazz records that were popular among audiophiles over the past 30 or so years, but have no real depth of understanding. You have helped enlighten me by pointing to a lot of good records that I've bought as a result of your postings here.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks for the kind words guys...Best part of WBF is learning about software!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Does anyone that have the AP reissue of Coltrane's first album (Prestige 7105) hear a thumping in Violets For Your Furs? I don't hear this on the original mono pressing or RVG reissued CD.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Does anyone that have the AP reissue of Coltrane's first album (Prestige 7105) hear a thumping in Violets For Your Furs? I don't hear this on the original mono pressing or RVG reissued CD.

Hmmm. I don't remember that. I'll check my copy and get back to you...

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Hmmm. I don't remember that. I'll check my copy and get back to you...

We heard it on my friend's copy. I don't have one myself to check again, I was waiting for the SACD to see if it's on there as well.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just picked a couple more in this series:

John Coltrane "Saxophone Colossus"
Best known for 'St. Thomas', this is one of Rollins' greatest records.
Performance A++/Sonics B+

John Coltrane "With The Red Garland Trio"
Later released with a different cover as 'Traneing In'. I slightly prefer my AP 45 rpm of 'Traneing In"
Good but not defining Coltrane. For completists.
Peformance B+/Sonics B+

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My Jelco/Ortofon mono arm project is still in line, but based on what I am listening with my Schu/Clearaudio arm it just jumped up in priorities. This thread will serve my music needs once implemented, thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing