High Fidelity Cables CT-1 speaker cables

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Reincarnation of Virtual Dynamics via Rick Schultz and his incredible "magnetic induction technology"....

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What's the story behind Virtual Dynamics and/or Rick Schultz?

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Tried the CT-1 interconnects, and preferred the SQ of the new Audience Au 24 SEs.

Can't wait to try the Au24 SE speaker cables.

Last edited:

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Reincarnation of Virtual Dynamics via Rick Schultz and his latest and greatest "magnetic induction technology"....priceless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbzcFGcckI

I fail to see what is so 'priceless' about that video. I watched it and can only see someone talking about their product line.

On Scott's Part Time Audiophile blog he did a post about High Fidelity Cables where someone in the comments posted the same youtube clip as well, saying 'would you buy from this man', implying it was a negative video.

If you have a problem with Rick come out with it, but I really cannot understand this trolling, he is the nicest guy you could every meet.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Nothing priceless at all...will edit my post so as not to offend Rick's buddies..

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I fail to see what is so 'priceless' about that video. I watched it and can only see someone talking about their product line.

On Scott's Part Time Audiophile blog he did a post about High Fidelity Cables where someone in the comments posted the same youtube clip as well, saying 'would you buy from this man', implying it was a negative video.

If you have a problem with Rick come out with it, but I really cannot understand this trolling, he is the nicest guy you could every meet.

I got Rick's CT-1 cable very early on based on HP's recommendation. It was excellent. So I kept it despite the cable it was replacing being 5x the price.

However, I was fortunate to shortly after to have been introduced to a cable company that sells "cheap" stuff with great performance. I was skeptical and listened to the then current and shortly thereafter introduced new MG Audio Designs cable. Their new Planus III speaker cables are just spectacular. Their new CU2 IC is likewise amazing. I am using their new CU2 from my EMMDAC2X to my ARC REF 5SE and their silver Planus AG form Ref 5SE to my REF 250s. I am also using their new Planus III speaker cables from the REF 250s to my Nola Baby Grands Series II. The CU2 and Planus III take a long time to break in and I was almost ready to send back the CU2 and luckily I didn't They are truly the best I have heard. I continue to A/B with Rick's cable and the CU2 is better in my system.

The other thing with MG is you can mix and match. In my system I find one silver IC balances the system perfectly, two silver sucked and really didn't like their hybrid.

So I owe Rick for never returning my dealer's call to upgrade my CT-1 to the CT-1E (and his now new 4.8K cable), which enabled me to discover MG which are not only better but incredibly "cheap" and the best cable I have ever heard.

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
I used the Virtual Dynamics cables from Rick Schultz years ago and they were very good in my system. I tested the new High Fidelity Cables and find them also very good. I have a different system now but i would think from my experiences with the Virtual Dynamics that Ricks new Rick HF cables with the magnetic components are better than the VD.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I used the Virtual Dynamics cables from Rick Schultz years ago and they were very good in my system. I tested the new High Fidelity Cables and find them also very good. I have a different system now but i would think from my experiences with the Virtual Dynamics that Ricks new Rick HF cables with the magnetic components are better than the VD.

Tube doctor

If you like Ricks cables which I do a lot you owe it to yourself to try MG Audio Design. The have very liberal return and loaner policies. They are not meant for all applications such as biwiring and they are relatively fragile ( no that fragile) as they are foil but they are just wonderful. As much as I like Ricks cables once broken in these are better.

They are also much less expensive.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I got Rick's CT-1 cable very early on based on HP's recommendation. It was excellent. So I kept it despite the cable it was replacing being 5x the price.

However, I was fortunate to shortly after to have been introduced to a cable company that sells "cheap" stuff with great performance. I was skeptical and listened to the then current and shortly thereafter introduced new MG Audio Designs cable. Their new Planus III speaker cables are just spectacular. Their new CU2 IC is likewise amazing. I am using their new CU2 from my EMMDAC2X to my ARC REF 5SE and their silver Planus AG form Ref 5SE to my REF 250s. I am also using their new Planus III speaker cables from the REF 250s to my Nola Baby Grands Series II. The CU2 and Planus III take a long time to break in and I was almost ready to send back the CU2 and luckily I didn't They are truly the best I have heard. I continue to A/B with Rick's cable and the CU2 is better in my system.

The other thing with MG is you can mix and match. In my system I find one silver IC balances the system perfectly, two silver sucked and really didn't like their hybrid.

So I owe Rick for never returning my dealer's call to upgrade my CT-1 to the CT-1E (and his now new 4.8K cable), which enabled me to discover MG which are not only better but incredibly "cheap" and the best cable I have ever heard.

Thanks for heads up.I think I will also try MG.

gme109

Feb 24, 2013

I'm still using some of Rick's Virtual Dynamics power cords in my system, and very much wanted to try his latest CT-1 ic and speaker cable, but wound up scoring a used pair of MG Audio's Planus II speaker cables, probably the first pair to ever appear on the used market. All I can say is, lucky me! These cables have totally transformed my system from top to bottom. I was still curious about how they may compare to Rick's lastest designs, hence how I came across this forum and thread. Thanks for the comparison.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I'm still using some of Rick's Virtual Dynamics power cords in my system, and very much wanted to try his latest CT-1 ic and speaker cable, but wound up scoring a used pair of MG Audio's Planus II speaker cables, probably the first pair to ever appear on the used market. All I can say is, lucky me! These cables have totally transformed my system from top to bottom. I was still curious about how they may compare to Rick's lastest designs, hence how I came across this forum and thread. Thanks for the comparison.

I emailed Rick, and have to say he is one heck of a likable guy. I can only imagine his cable prowess. MG is awesome to say the least.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a bit of a fan of ribbon speaker cables. I've used 47 Labs, Townshend Isolda DCTs (which we sell) and for many years those rare-bird massive Verbatims by Paul Garner, according to urban legend were made from surplus USN radar transformer windings. The Verbatims for me were by FAR the best of the bunch. The MG website has gotten me very interested.

I replaced my Verbatims some time back. Two cables in particular gave me the verbatim's low end and organic mids while not overly smoothing upper octave transients. There were the Masterbuilt Signature Bi-wires and Kubala-Sosna's Elation.

I'd love to hear from owners of either of these two cables and have tried the CT-1s. I've only ever used VD power cords before so I really am not familiar with their other products or potential (house sound).

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I'm a bit of a fan of ribbon speaker cables. I've used 47 Labs, Townshend Isolda DCTs (which we sell) and for many years those rare-bird massive Verbatims by Paul Garner, according to urban legend were made from surplus USN radar transformer windings. The Verbatims for me were by FAR the best of the bunch. The MG website has gotten me very interested.

I replaced my Verbatims some time back. Two cables in particular gave me the verbatim's low end and organic mids while not overly smoothing upper octave transients. There were the Masterbuilt Signature Bi-wires and Kubala-Sosna's Elation.

I'd love to hear from owners of either of these two cables and have tried the CT-1s. I've only ever used VD power cords before so I really am not familiar with their other products or potential (house sound).

Just to be clear as there seems to be some confusion regarding High Fidelity Cables with the CT-1s, etc with Schultz's magnetic design and MG Audio Designs which are indeed the ribbon cables, the newest ones being the CU2 IC and the PIII speaker cables.

My current reference system, composed of EMMDAC2X (soon to be replaced with an MSB Diamond and have tried both cables with the MSB), ARC REF5SE, REF 250s and Nola Baby Grands Series II. When I first got the CT-1 (High Fidelity Cables) I was very impressed and purchased them. Not too long after that I was unfortunately turned onto MG Audio Designs. I did not like their hybrid cable, felt two of their silver AG interconnects was too much and found just the right balance with one AG IC and one CU IC. I felt it was a close call between the CU IC and the CT-1. Then comes the CU2, their newest copper IC, which I replaced the older CU with. For about two weeks I felt the CT-1s were better. Thankfully I had patience as it proved to be nothing more than a break-in issue. I can, IMHO, unequivocally state, that on my system, the CU2 is better than Schultz's CT-1, no ifs ands or buts. The combination for me of one AG and one CU2 is amazing, like nothing I have ever heard.

Of course, that leaves the speaker cables. My initial PIIs were much better than what it replaced, which was 20x the expense. Not too long after the PIIs entered my system I received a friendly email telling me that the PIIIs were coming out and I would be receiving them to compare. Unlike the PIIs the PIIIs had a much longer break-in period so my initial impressions were why did they ruin a good thing. Well again, two weeks later I was rewarded with the most balanced, coherent detailed 3 dimensional sound I have ever heard from a system (not bragging just reality).

These cables are spectacular. Not good or exceptional but spectacular. At the price they sell for, they have no peers.

One caveat. They do allow you 30 days to try them. They do not make a bi-wire configuration, they are unshielded so long SE runs are not made. I have tried the PIIIs on my second system, composed of a Constellation Stereo Centaur and Magico Q1s and was not as impressed, so try them, as like any component, are better matched with certain components than others.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Priaptor if you find yourself mixing and matching both a CU and AG ribbon cable, then you are looking to massage the sound of your system. The CT-1 is the exact opposite sort of cable for this. It is all about astounding clarity and may tip up the balance.

FWIW I have used both silver and copper ribbons in all aspects of cables, IC, power and speaker. I dont think ribbons work at all for IC's - but I very much like copper ribbons for speaker cables.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I should also mention coming across some great ribbon power cables lately that were a lot better than my Nordost (adn much cheaper), but its hard to say if the gains were due to the ribbon geometry or the shielding they had.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor if you find yourself mixing and matching both a CU and AG ribbon cable, then you are looking to massage the sound of your system. The CT-1 is the exact opposite sort of cable for this. It is all about astounding clarity and may tip up the balance.

FWIW I have used both silver and copper ribbons in all aspects of cables, IC, power and speaker. I dont think ribbons work at all for IC's - but I very much like copper ribbons for speaker cables.

I understand why you would come to that conclusion, BUT, I have to disagree. The CT-1 is an excellent cable, no doubt, that many are finding, including me, a better value for the $$ than many other cables. I was enticed with how much improved all aspects of the soundstage and how much cleaner the output was when I put them into my system. I spent several weeks going back and forth between the Schultz cables and the MG AudioDesign comparing and early on I was indeed finding the CT-1s superior, which as I stated turned out to be a break in issue-incidentally I had lots of skin in the game with the CT-1s and none with the MG Audio when I was making my "subjective" analysis. I have also stated that I did not find the MG AD to be the best solution for a second system I have. I also have to disagree with your other two tenets that using a CU and AG cable in a system simultaneously somehow is "massaging" a system as compared to any other cable where one believes the output they are getting is somehow "truer" to the real thing than what I am doing. Secondly, where did you get the "I don't think ribbons work at all for ICs". You are wrong.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Of course it is all system dependant. Once I thought a particular silver ribbon IC cable I had was better than all my others IC's. It was more natural, just sounded more real e.t.c
But when I upgraded to better speakers and amplifier, I soon found that silver ribbon was rolling off all the detail and did not sound real at all, and another cable that I previously thought sounded electronic and 'hi-fi' was actually far better.

I still think its just common sense that if you are mixing and matching a silver and copper IC to find your best sound - you will get better mileage by looking at your electronics and speakers first instead of cables.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Of course it is all system dependant. Once I thought a particular silver ribbon IC cable I had was better than all my others IC's. It was more natural, just sounded more real e.t.c
But when I upgraded to better speakers and amplifier, I soon found that silver ribbon was rolling off all the detail and did not sound real at all, and another cable that I previously thought sounded electronic and 'hi-fi' was actually far better.

I still think its just common sense that if you are mixing and matching a silver and copper IC to find your best sound - you will get better mileage by looking at your electronics and speakers first instead of cables.

What should I trade in, my REF5SE, REF250s, Constellation Centaur, EMMDAC2x, MSB Diamond, Magico Q1s and Nola Baby Grands Series II??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing